Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA Filter Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's like the only part the service center usually has in stock all the time.

I did mine after exactly 4 years and I'd say that's the right timing. It was dirty but not too bad, and that's after a few fire seasons here in California.

Kind of a pain to replace since you have to remove the tub but not too hard for DIY if you take it easy.
Did you use the HEPA setting very much? We’ve only used it twice in 3 yrs. Not sure if it would need to be changed.. We live in a pretty rural area and just don't run into situations that need it.

Last edited:
Which begs the question if you would ever need the "cabin" air filter if all air goes through the HEPA filter anyway. It must act as a prefilter, which would definitely help keep the HEPA filter cleaner longer.
Based on my poking around with both of them yesterday, I can’t see any way where the big HEPA filter wouldn’t be the first thing to encounter outside air.

Mine wasn’t filthy or anything, but it did have a good amount of leaves and stuff accumulated at the bottom.

Based on my poking around with both of them yesterday, I can’t see any way where the big HEPA filter wouldn’t be the first thing to encounter outside air.

Mine wasn’t filthy or anything, but it did have a good amount of leaves and stuff accumulated at the bottom.
It would seem the cabin air filter would never get dirty if it is in-line after the big HEPA filter, or something isn't working correctly. It would only see pristine air.

How did Your pry out the filter from the frame? Did this last Year and it´s a major PITA due to the glue tesla used. Did You fully re-seal it, otherwise side air kills the HEPA filtration effect. Thanks
I cut it free with a box cutter. Mine was… not particularly glued in there by any stretch and it came free pretty easily. I put the new one in with a bead of silicone around the edge.

FYI, I replaced my HEPA filter today for a second time at 5.5 years and 140,000 miles. This time I elected to go with a replacement from PureFlow Air:

At $65 it’s less than 1/3 the price of the full assembly from Tesla and much less wasteful. Installation following their YouTube video was a breeze.

No connection with the company, just a good experience. I also ordered their cabin filter and replaced it at the same time. About the same level of difficulty and time commitment for both.
It would be great to see if these filters are tested, which is an expensive process. Given how variable the performance is of residential HVAC filters, it would be good to know these filters perform well.

Reactions: 2BEnhanced
The cabin filter is cheap. The HEPA is like $230. Personally I’d rather replace more frequently with more economical options.
My only experience with HVAC systems is in residential systems, but I know that the filter chosen can decrease/increase the life of the system based on the resistance of the filter. If there's twice the resistance with a filter not tested for the system of the car, that could end up being a very expensive filter when I am told that I prematurely need a new system. Maybe an unnecessary worry, but it would be good to see test results against the OEM filter.

My only experience with HVAC systems is in residential systems, but I know that the filter chosen can decrease/increase the life of the system based on the resistance of the filter. If there's twice the resistance with a filter not tested for the system of the car, that could end up being a very expensive filter when I am told that I prematurely need a new system. Maybe an unnecessary worry, but it would be good to see test results against the OEM filter.
This is generally the underlying reason why I'd prefer to change a cheaper filter more often. I question whether ANY filter can maintain sufficient airflow over 3-4 years and that's what Tesla's replacement interval is last I checked.

This is generally the underlying reason why I'd prefer to change a cheaper filter more often. I question whether ANY filter can maintain sufficient airflow over 3-4 years and that's what Tesla's replacement interval is last I checked.
We know Tesla engineers have tested the OEM filter to last 4 years under whatever conditions they are assuming are normal driving conditions, and to do that under rigid HEPA filtration standards. We do not know if a third-party filter has tested the filter, what the resistance is, or what the filtering micron level is - unless that company provides that information.

I do like the idea of just switching out a filter and not an entire housing - which seems super wasteful. I also like the price difference, of course.

If you're running a hospital or some kind of clean room for building satellites, you probably care about those things. I don't think Tesla performed too many tests on the filter. They just asked the manufacturer for a filter with a particular spec. My 25 year old vacuum cleaner has a HEPA filter on it.

I'd say 3-4 years out of the factory filter seems plausible. Though it is in use practically any time the car is running, you're really only talking about ~300 hours a year. You could blow through 300 hours of use in the summer alone with your home HVAC, not counting any air circulation cycles while the AC isn't running. Bigger modern filters are generally replaced annually.

BTW, I had my filter replaced by Tesla right before the new year. It is still $220, but labor was $39. I asked to keep the old filter. I will probably cut out the old paper and put in a 3rd party filter next time, then just swap it out.

Reactions: ucmndd
I'd say 3-4 years out of the factory filter seems plausible. Though it is in use practically any time the car is running, you're really only talking about ~300 hours a year. You could blow through 300 hours of use in the summer alone with your home HVAC, not counting any air circulation cycles while the AC isn't running. Bigger modern filters are generally replaced annually.
Good point about drive time... I do ~35k miles/year so "3-4 years" of filter time for me is a heck of a lot more than most others.

Reactions: beatle
We know Tesla engineers have tested the OEM filter to last 4 years under whatever conditions they are assuming are normal driving conditions, and to do that under rigid HEPA filtration standards. We do not know if a third-party filter has tested the filter, what the resistance is, or what the filtering micron level is - unless that company provides that information.
I mean, I get what you're saying, but I also think you're attributing a bit too much sophistication to the Tesla company that I know. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay