Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filter retrofit to Model S

Do you believe TESLA Dublin California Service center?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it installed today by a mobile ranger. I asked if the software needed to be updated to get the bioweapon button but he wasn't aware of one. I asked him to send the car the latest software update since mine is three months old now. I got the version I already had. 2018.50.6

The HVAC control is missing the bioweapon icon that I saw in the loaner I drove.

I got it installed today by a mobile ranger. I asked if the software needed to be updated to get the bioweapon button but he wasn't aware of one. I asked him to send the car the latest software update since mine is three months old now. I got the version I already had. 2018.50.6

The HVAC control is missing the bioweapon icon that I saw in the loaner I drove.

You already have the right software, the option code needs to be activated via the cable underneath the screen inside that cubby... The technician is supposed to plus in their computer in it, and turn on the option code for Bio Defense Mode. This then activated the feature in the HVAC UI for the current 2018.50.6 software you have.

You already have the right software, the option code needs to be activated via the cable underneath the screen inside that cubby... The technician is supposed to plus in their computer in it, and turn on the option code for Bio Defense Mode. This then activated the feature in the HVAC UI for the current 2018.50.6 software you have.
Thanks. I scheduled a service appointment.

I bought the $500 Bio Weapon upgrade and it does come with the filter and installation. I had mobile service do it and he brought the part with him and activated Bio Weapon button with his laptop connected to the car. Showed up right away.

Was a real simple installation (it just snaps onto the frunk) if you know the steps, although he did break a few clips that he had to replace.

I bought the $500 Bio Weapon upgrade and it does come with the filter and installation. I had mobile service do it and he brought the part with him and activated Bio Weapon button with his laptop connected to the car. Showed up right away.

Was a real simple installation (it just snaps onto the frunk) if you know the steps, although he did break a few clips that he had to replace.
Is it literally just the filter, or does the assembly, or any other part (besides clips) also get replaced?

Hmm. This is a interesting one. Don’t really want to give up the frunk. But kinda want bio defense mode. Going to have to see if I can find the parts cheap... deciding if I will accept the challenge...

i would be more curious if tesla will turn it on for you in the software or is this even required?

their likely answer will be that this cannot be done but you show up with a car that has it done already lol

Well I will be keeping my eyes open for the parts.... if I stumble across them cheap I will likely install them... kinda how I started with the heated steering wheel which is at 50% complete now.

i would be more curious if tesla will turn it on for you in the software or is this even required?

their likely answer will be that this cannot be done but you show up with a car that has it done already lol

I got a new S that came with biodefense mode enabled, but compared to my wife's X, it doesn't really seem to do much. Following her home the other day I mentioned when we got home how biodefense didn't seem to work on manure. She said hers handled it just fine.

Anyone know how easy it is to pop the frunk open and ensure there's a filter actually in there?

If there's already a filter, they should have advised me saying you already have a HEPA filter and enabled the software to show the bio defense icon.

I was asked to go purchase at online tesla store and ship it to the service center.

Vlakinana,
I had a mobile ranger come out to install the filter this past weeked. When he took out the frunk bin, there was a filter already installed. Since I already paid for a new one I asked him to install the new one and then proceeded to install the biohazard button. We were both shocked to see the filter already installed, but my car was built around the time they were starting to include biohazard as standard. So we think Tesla may have just started to install it on all being built at the time. Now I have the old one in a bag waiting for the new one to get old. I think you were in a similar situation where you already had one installed and they just left the old one in the trunk.

I just ordered the HEPA filter from Tesla as we plan to do some road tripping this Summer and so many fires and smoke out this way, best to plan ahead. It is $500 installed they say will set appointment when arrives, my 2017 S was build Jan 2017 and does not have HEPA.
Hopefully all will go well, if any relevant info to this thread I will update.

If you have a 2016 with the refresh you can install the Hepa Filter. Here is a video I did when I installed mine to my 9/2016 model s.

Once installed you can ask the Service Center to update the software for the Biodefense button. I think they can send a tesla ranger to do it or over the air maybe.