Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filters without PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one thinking about this possibility? Will have my X delivered in a month or so without the PUP. However quite keen to get the HEPA filter self installed...have anyone asked if the SCs would be able to get that part and if so, for how much?

200 bucks ( i called last week )

Not a bad price for the massive HEPA filter.

Especially since you loose all that space from the front trunk, even if you don't have the filter. I'm interested in getting it too, given the price.

@Bishop, I'm assuming this info came from the service center? Could you tell us which one? From what I've gathered, all the service centers aren't necessarily up to the same speed on the same stuff. Might be helpful to be able the say "Mister X (if you remember a name) at XYZ service center said they can do it for $200".

I'm assuming there's no other impact on fan load or something else? Probably not, since Tesla wants to put, as much as possible, the same stuff in all the cars. Doubt that they would put in a different fan if you ordered the PUP option.

Especially since you loose all that space from the front trunk, even if you don't have the filter. I'm interested in getting it too, given the price.

@Bishop, I'm assuming this info came from the service center? Could you tell us which one? From what I've gathered, all the service centers aren't necessarily up to the same speed on the same stuff. Might be helpful to be able the say "Mister X (if you remember a name) at XYZ service center said they can do it for $200".

I'm assuming there's no other impact on fan load or something else? Probably not, since Tesla wants to put, as much as possible, the same stuff in all the cars. Doubt that they would put in a different fan if you ordered the PUP option.

cant remember the guys name but it was down in Atlanta I called after hours for my local shop but was able to get ahold of them
he said he was going to order a couple to have on hand

Thought about that after the fact. Whether the $200 includes installation. I'm assuming they're willing to do it, since that was implied in the comments.

when i asked for a price i told them i was going to install it myself as i dont have the Bio defense mode i didnt think they'd do it or tell me something like its not authorized. the only thing stopping me from ordering it is its beens raining and i wasnt to see if its easy to remove the frunk before i pay for it

cant remember the guys name but it was down in Atlanta I called after hours for my local shop but was able to get ahold of them
he said he was going to order a couple to have on hand
As I get closer to delivery of my X, I think I'll try calling the Atlanta SC and ask if they would be willing to instal one for me. If it's positive, I'll use that with my local Jax SC. They've just opened, so I don't know how well that will go. I guess I could also just plan to visit my friend in Atlanta and get it done there.

Usually such a part (like the big filter) has to mount in a matching air duct. If you didn't order the HEPA filter feature with the car, my guess would be that the big air duct needed for the big filter is not going to be there; it will have a different (smaller) air duct. So I don't imagine you can simply buy the HEPA filter and just throw it in there. Or can you(??) - that would be kind of unexpected...

Usually such a part (like the big filter) has to mount in a matching air duct. If you didn't order the HEPA filter feature with the car, my guess would be that the big air duct needed for the big filter is not going to be there; it will have a different (smaller) air duct. So I don't imagine you can simply buy the HEPA filter and just throw it in there. Or can you(??) - that would be kind of unexpected...
The mount seems to be there: HEPA Air filter for everyone...

Sure, it will help a bit but if he could feel a big difference between then it was on and off it means that you won't be able to take full advantage of it if you don't have the software.

Yes and no. :)

The question is we need to figure out is if "Bio defense mode" does something that cannot be manually set via climate controls. For example, recirculating air + maximum fan speed.

If we can solve this, then adding in the filter should be all it takes.

Remember that PUP is a 'bundle of margins'. Perhaps $500 worth of actual components or less that yields $4,500 for Tesla.

The code for Bioweapon Defense Mode is present in all cars, just not enabled for non PUP Teslas.

What that code actually does, hopefully we can crack.

If someone here has a PUP car or has access to one, they can see see if "bio defense mode" can be achieved just from manipulating the other climate settings.

I would have to assume all outside air goes through the filter box and thus the hepa filter. So adding a hepa filter would help. There must be a filter in there of some sort on the non hepa models.

Bio-weapons defense pulls extra air through from outside to pressurize the cabin. Keeping non-filtered air from comping through any leaks. Effectively, I believe all it really does is set the fan to 15. This, of course, is just speculation based on reading the description.

I am curious if the recirculation path also goes through the HEPA filter.

Edit: Looking at the filter box photo in the other thread. Unless there is some sort of cover and additional ducting not shown, there is no path through the hepa filter in recirculation mode (which is fine, and typical for most cars). The higher pressure would hopefully push out internally generated bio-weapons if necessary.

It also appears that all air would go through that monster filter, so everyone should benefit anytime using outside air setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing
I would have to assume all outside air goes through the filter box and thus the hepa filter. So adding a hepa filter would help. There must be a filter in there of some sort on the non hepa models.

Bio-weapons defense pulls extra air through from outside to pressurize the cabin. Keeping non-filtered air from comping through any leaks. Effectively, I believe all it really does is set the fan to 15. This, of course, is just speculation based on reading the description.

I am curious if the recirculation path also goes through the HEPA filter.

Hoping someone here can test and figure it out! When someone peeled back the frunk it was empty where the Hepa filter would have gone..