Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA for old MX & MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked about this when booking in my Model S for annual service at Heathrow.

I've been quoted £470.

I see is $500 in the USA:
Model S HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade

I'm tempted, but would be interested to know if it generally improves cabin air quality without engaging "bioweapon defence mode".

Basically, I'd like to have "fresh" air, without breathing/smelling petrol/diesel fumes.
Is that realistic expectation of what the HEPA filter can do?

I'm tempted, but would be interested to know if it generally improves cabin air quality without engaging "bioweapon defence mode".

Basically, I'd like to have "fresh" air, without breathing/smelling petrol/diesel fumes.
Yes! I have the HEPA filter installed in my Model S without the “Bioweapon Defense Mode” (it was way cheaper that way), and the difference is rather dramatic! Even at lower fan speeds I can no longer smell fumes from surrounding trucks or buses.

I asked about this when booking in my Model S for annual service at Heathrow.

I've been quoted £470.

I see is $500 in the USA:
Model S HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade

I can confirm that it makes a big difference to the cabin air quality. I've had a couple of loaners without it and I really noticed all the farm smells and traffic pollution. My own car just smells clean and fresh all the time and I rarely use the bio defence mode, just have it set to auto climate.

I wanted this but now I’m not so sure, here’s why...

I’ve had a P90D for a month now and I get dodgy smells in the car and when using bio mode it puts the fan on full blast and if you lower fan speed bio mode goes off.

My question is.... does all air come through the hepa regardless of adding bio mode and if so why could I get a diesel whiff when the fan was on low Does it have to be on recirculate or not?

Thanks

The car is not sealed completely. So the air (and the outside smells) can get into the cabin through windows, doors, etc.
What the “Bioweapon Defense Mode” essentially does it puts the fan at full blast (without turning the re-circulation on).
So what it does, it creates positive pressure inside the cabin forcing all the air to come through the HEPA filter.
The higher the fan speed, the less likely the outside air is to enter the cabin bypassing the HEPA filter.
In my experience even at half-speed I can't sense any smells from outside.

Ok thanks. I have a play with my loaner and see how it works see if I can convince myself to get one but ideally I’d just want the filter and install myself.

I noticed on my loaner than behind the “T” on the front bumper there is a grill/grid behind the chrome plate I’m guessing that’s where air goes in. On my car it’s just a flat piece of plastic with no vents so I wonder if that is also replaced to help airflow, or did they just change the design in the last year?

I wanted this but now I’m not so sure, here’s why...

I’ve had a P90D for a month now and I get dodgy smells in the car and when using bio mode it puts the fan on full blast and if you lower fan speed bio mode goes off.

My question is.... does all air come through the hepa regardless of adding bio mode and if so why could I get a diesel whiff when the fan was on low Does it have to be on recirculate or not?

Thanks

I don't get any smells in my MX with climate set to auto at 20 degC. The only time I use bio-defence mode is to quickly clear any smells that get in while the doors are open and one time after a McDonald's drive through! Last time the farmers were spreading fertiliser the smell outside was horrific and yet nothing got into the MX cabin. I was massively impressed.

Tesla need to get their act together. I called Heathrow after seeing your post to see if I could get just the filter, chance my luck l:

“Cannot sell you the filter unless you have it already but you can get a retrofit if ya want but I’ll need to put you back to service”

Service then take my vin and said they would call me back.

I then get a missed call, voicemail then email “which was nice” from my local SC telling me that the hepa retro fit isn’t available in the UK yet.

I’ve gone back to them and ask if it’s not available yet why am I seeing that people are getting it done and also that Heathrow SC told me I could have a retro fit.

Maybe Heathrow isn’t in the UK anymore.....