Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA use without Bioweapon Defense Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bioweapon Defense Mode is effective, but very loud. I presume that most of the air comes in through HEPA even in normal modes. Is that true, or does the HEPA filter require mucho pressure to work? The answer will likely dictate how often I engage BDM.

HEPA filter is always active. BDM increases airflow through the HEPA to cause a net positive cabin pressure, so all the air inside the vehicle is strictly coming through the filter with no chance of leaked airflow from the exterior.

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
HEPA filter is always active. BDM increases airflow through the HEPA to cause a net positive cabin pressure, so all the air inside the vehicle is strictly coming through the filter with no chance of leaked airflow from the exterior.

Sure, but when BDM is not active, is there enough airflow running through the HEPA filter for it to be reasonably effective? If leakage causes the cabin air to recycle every ten minutes, say, when BDM is not active, then I wouldn't say that the HEPA filter was effective outside of BDM. Clearly it is not as effective normally, or BDM would not be necessary. It's just a question of how ineffective.

Sure, but when BDM is not active, is there enough airflow running through the HEPA filter for it to be reasonably effective? If leakage causes the cabin air to recycle every ten minutes, say, when BDM is not active, then I wouldn't say that the HEPA filter was effective outside of BDM. Clearly it is not as effective normally, or BDM would not be necessary. It's just a question of how ineffective.
I'm assuming based on reports from current owners, if there is an offensive odor outside and BDM is not active, the odor will penetrate the cabin. This is the case with most any vehicle, even when recirculation is active. BDM is unique to tesla and the positive pressure is what allows a true filtration of the air for the occupants. Not sure if the owners who reported had enabled recirculation, or just fresh air. This would help understand if the non BDM is sufficient to cleanse the air. I would guess that without positive cabin pressure you will still have odors and infiltrates make it inside.