Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is what really annoys me about extra cost paint "options".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
This goes back to when plain white paint was suddenly "no longer available" on the Model S. Who decided it "was not available"? Why was it "not available"? Did the world run out of white coloring? Unless you wanted basic black, any other color would cost big bucks. Different colors were listed as $17 or $25 per month, which works out to $1020 or $1500 over a 5 year car loan.

I cannot imagine why anyone wants black. People say it looks good. You know what does NOT look good? The fact that the slightest bit of dust or dirt, or even the most minor dent, ding, or scratch is very obvious. Or if the clear coat starts to peel. It couldn't stand out more if you had strobe lights and arrows on the car pointing to it! And black cars soak up more heat from the sun. I had a black car once, years ago, and never again. Black cars go from looking "perfect" to "piece of crap" VERY quickly.

Anyway, back to paint costs. I don't know how much paint it takes to paint a new car, where it has to get all over up in the car. Let's say 3 gallons. Okay. 3 gallons of basic black costs "X" dollars.

Now someone comes along and orders a silver car, which will cost $1020 more. Or blue, or green, or whatever color aside from the Pearl White and Red.

Now hold on a minute here. $1020 extra to put silver paint on the car. Do not forget that we ARE NOT putting 3 gallons of basic black on the car. So the cost of the black paint isn't there.

Tesla is telling us that 3 gallons of silver paint is so expensive, that even after the cost of the black paint is removed, it still takes ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE to paint the car with 3 gallons of silver?

I want to see paint costs. Surely we have some paint and body people here who can explain why one color of paint could cost more than another. Okay, but $1000 MORE?!?!?!?! Do not forget that Tesla is probably getting a huge discount on the cost because they buy in huge volumes.

I understand that the Pearl White and Red may be multi coat colors and require different application, and that extra cost is fine, up to a point.

I also get it that Tesla is counting on people buying options to get the average price up to $42,000 for profit purposes, and that is ok to a certain degree. But $1000 for a different paint color, and they are still saving the cost of the original black paint, is ridiculous.

And when a car is deliberately built with undesirable colors and other features specifically for the purpose of grabbing more money from people who want different, but still basic things, like paint color, there is something unethical about that.

I agree that there should definitely be more choice of colors that do not entail extra cost. Non-metallic paints typically don't cost extra on other car brands, in my (limited) experience. Tesla should be able to offer a few standard colors as well as extra cost options for metallic or other "special" paints. I can't speak to the specific prices for the optional paints, but I do expect this is one of the ways Tesla can work towards making a profit, and I do not begrudge them that. But yeah, I would want a choice other than black, too. (But lots of folks really like black and i have had black cars in the past.)

When I took delivery of my 2013 Model S, I had my detail guy work on the paint. He has literally decades of car paint experience, and has worked on all sorts of top of the line cars over the years. I asked him point-blank to rate the quality of the multi-coat red paint and the application of the paint. He said it was average or slightly worse than average according to what he has seen on other cars. As he worked on the car, he showed me that there was still some blue painters tape under the hood near the hinge where some respray had been done. So from the very beginning, as much as I love my Model S, the quality of the paint job hasn't been one of its high points...

I watched that BMW video, and while it was educational, I don't think that's what is happening up in Fremont...

The BMW paint video was great - in that it informed me as to the special steps required to pull a car off the line and give it special attention. The Tesla might get to the volume where one can spend extra time for special paint...but right now, just getting the car produced in the main line - fewer options makes sense.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx and docherf
@timk225 the upcharge on the various colors is not to do with material cost as much as demand.
A white refrigerator is less money than a red refrigerator not because the white cost the manufacturer less to make, but because they can charge a premium for the unique color and those wanting that color will pay the extra. Same goes for car paint.

Yes, BUT....

I don't want a fancy color. If Tesla chooses to offer the same drab, dull, boring colors on the 3, like they do on the S and X, I will either want plain white or plain silver. No metallic or pearl or multi coat necessary. I just absolutely refuse to accept a black car. No way, not never ever, not even if I got a $5000 discount for taking a black car.

On the other hand, if Tesla loosens up a bit and includes some bright happy fun colors, like what Dodge and Jeep put on some of their cars, then that is a different issue. I might pay a LITTLE more for that. Like $500 maybe.

In regards to the video above, it says BMW has 230 paint colors. How many does Tesla have? 7. And 3 of them are nearly the same. Dark colors, of course. And the Model 3 is supposed to compete with BMW? Even Dodge has 11 colors on the Challenger! And they are much better colors!

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Black and white paints are the cheapest from a material perspective, as they are base colors that you start with when mixing paint (I believe there are a couple more base colors). Red is the most expensive as it adds the most pigment. I believe red paints cost about 4-6 times more to mix. This of course doesn't include effects like metallic or pearl.

Just my 2¢

Source: I went to auto painting school and got certified in 2002, although I never did it professionally.

Here, be informed:
This is why we aren't getting that awesome silver that was on the launch prototype :(

If only they spent that much time at their design studios or at engine development they would have a great car, instead of a goofy looking slow one.

BTW - They never mentioned the cost of the 'expensive' paint used per car. Optional paint has a very high mark up, as do optional rims or tires. Of course the highest markup is 'deactivated' features which have the highest markup because they are not added features at all.

While I agree most of the pricing is what the market will bear rather than reflecting paint costs, also consider that flat black is one coat, the metallics are two coats, and the pearls are three coats. So there really are some higher costs to the more expensive paint choices.

Reactions: garsh
Most auto's offer a few base colors, and others with a premium cost.

I believe that the Model 3 will not be painted certain colors to delight their buyers, but instead concentrate on those few colors that will be easiest to apply, cause the least problems, and keep the line moving as they quickly ramp up production.

Not everybody will be happy, and is because colors are so emotional, and the Model 3 itself is a very emotional vehicle.

The metalic paints take at least one additional coat than the plain colors, and take much more labor to mix, apply and get through the inspection and rework process. Charging more for this only makes sense.

I imaging that as things get ramped up, additional colors and options will become available, however some buyers have their hearts set on one specific favorite color. Might take a long time to get around to everyone's favorite :)

Make it any color you want for under $1000. DipYourCar - World Famous Peelable Auto Paint Then change it every 6 months like @FLDarren does.

What we need now is a user customizable color for the car's screen and the mobile app.

plasti is great for wheels and trim
not so much for entire car
spend the money on the wrap if you want a different color for the entire body. autoflex is a much better product than plasti if you really want to take on a dip project.

Last edited: