Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is what really annoys me about extra cost paint "options".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, BUT....

I don't want a fancy color. If Tesla chooses to offer the same drab, dull, boring colors on the 3, like they do on the S and X, I will either want plain white or plain silver. No metallic or pearl or multi coat necessary. I just absolutely refuse to accept a black car. No way, not never ever, not even if I got a $5000 discount for taking a black car.

On the other hand, if Tesla loosens up a bit and includes some bright happy fun colors, like what Dodge and Jeep put on some of their cars, then that is a different issue. I might pay a LITTLE more for that. Like $500 maybe.

In regards to the video above, it says BMW has 230 paint colors. How many does Tesla have? 7. And 3 of them are nearly the same. Dark colors, of course. And the Model 3 is supposed to compete with BMW? Even Dodge has 11 colors on the Challenger! And they are much better colors!

Take what they give you for free and then go out and get your car painted by a body shop...then you will have what you want and stop complaining about paint color here on TMC. Geez.

Tesla doesn't really offer true colors. Only true color is the Multi Coat Red and the new Blue is way bluer than the old black blue but could still be more blue.

All others are on the bland boring generic grayscale. I don't consider any shades of silver, grey or black "colors".

This is how I see the world every day I go out

gray-blobs.jpg

Tesla needs real colors. Cyans, Teals, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Orange, Purple, nice bright colors. Tired of this bland stuff.

Remember the 80's and the neon era? We need to bring that back.

Tesla doesn't really offer true colors. Only true color is the Multi Coat Red and the new Blue is way bluer than the old black blue but could still be more blue.

All others are on the bland boring generic grayscale. I don't consider any shades of silver, grey or black "colors".

This is how I see the world every day I go out

Tesla needs real colors. Cyans, Teals, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Orange, Purple, nice bright colors. Tired of this bland stuff.

Remember the 80's and the neon era? We need to bring that back.
They make the colors people buy.

Reactions: MogWV and democappy
My take is: Silver hides the dirt,
White is cooler,
Black looks great in a showroom but I don't want to carry around all the items needed to clean it every time I get out of the car,
Red is too much about "look at me" for my tastes,
The new blue is actually okay but I agree it could be more intense.
I 100% agree that they should have more choices than black, black, black, dark blue, silver, white, and red. particularly since they only have a limited number of paint stalls. Three blacks is okay if you have 200 other colours, but with only seven colours to choose from, three of them shouldn't be black. I'd actually like to see a copper colour.

Tesla should not have discontinued pure white and I really hope it will be available for Model 3.

On several occasions Elon told us he made a particular decision simply because it is the right thing to do and I really hope he does the right thing and offer at least pure white for Model 3. Yesterday he was on twitter saying how much he appreciates his customers so I hope he won't let his accountants make all the decisions.

Take what they give you for free and then go out and get your car painted by a body shop...then you will have what you want and stop complaining about paint color here on TMC. Geez.

That's not a perfect solution either, because repainting the car would cost more, plus every time I opened the hood, trunk, or doors, I'd see the original color and be unhappy about that. Tesla should just listen to us (and by that, I mean listen to ME) and not sabotage the 3 with the drab dull boring colors they have had for years. Dodge changes some of their colors every year.

Here's my 2011 Challenger R/T in the one year only Green With Envy color, A 1972 Charger in B3 Petty Blue, and a 1971 Demon in EL5 Butterscotch. Now THESE are COLORS, Tesla!!! Get these on the Model 3!

My R/T will be up for sale after I get my 3. I hate to get rid of it, but I don't want 2 car payments either.

Attachments

• 20170205_132351.jpg
    20170205_132351.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 60
  • z1972_TB3_Charger.jpg
    z1972_TB3_Charger.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 61
  • z1971-EL5-Butterscotch.jpg
    z1971-EL5-Butterscotch.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Stirfelt
Well there you go, that's precisely the reason that there is no base white colour.
That's another £/$1000-1500 in Tesla's pocket.
White's in demand at the moment.

Yes, I am sure Tesla knows this. I also hope they know it is very deceitful, unethical, immoral, and just plain wrong to use the undesirability of basic black to squeeze more money out of peoples' pockets in such a blatant money grab. Let people order black if they want it, don't force their choice.

If I had a bunch of cash sitting around and nothing better to do with it, I'd order a basic black 3, and have a body shop totally take it apart, repaint every square inch, and reassemble it, regardless of cost, just on principle.

This is also why I have already decided to get a small Sirius radio to put in the car. Because I don't like being forced to buy a sunroof I don't want and a premium sound package I don't need to get satellite radio in the car itself.

Reactions: 1 person
Um. I don't like it either, but I don't see a reason to get worked up about it. If you want another color, you can pay for it. If you don't want to pay, you can take black. That is more choice than they are obligated to give you. You are not forced in to anything, they are very clear about it, and I don't know how you are even getting to immoral.

Incidentally, I didn't want a black car because they are hard to clean. But I ended up with a black inventory car because it was the cheapest. And you know what? It is not so bad.

Plus, a lot of people DO like black.

Very few Tesla owners have satellite radio. None that I know, in fact. Between Slacker and Tune-in you can listen to just about anything, unless there is a Sirius-specific program that you must have.

And by saving a few years of satellite radio fee you could put that towards the color you want.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB
My guess is that the "black's the only color that's 'standard'" policy will continue with the Model 3.

They want to be able to say the car is a $35K car, but they don't want to actually sell cars for $35K. The way to do that is to make the base ($35K) car equipped in such a way that no one will order it without a fair number of options. Most people don't like black cars. So charging extra for any other color will result in more people not getting the unoptioned base model.

The pricing doesn't have anything to do with black paint being less expensive ( or easier to apply) or with black being so popular that it gets a volume discount while every other color is considered "rare." In fact, black was probably chosen as the "base" color *because* it is just about the least popular color (or at least the color that the maximum number of people find unacceptable). It's just a matter of pushing folks to check off more option boxes when buying the car.

Reactions: happyguy
This thread seems to repeat black is bad. Tesla likes cheap. Black is cheap.

When I went to the MB dealer they said that 80% of their cars were black.

People like black. Accept this popular color.
Bright colors are novelties for most companies.
Tesla is in Fremont CA. They cannot use standard paints due to air pollution concerns.
They are limited in their choices.
I do agree that Elon has misunderstood the desire for black.
The green was discontinued due to lack of popularity.

you're complaining about 1000.00 or a deposit?
Jeez. I put a 30k paint job on my model S. Gold.
Chrome is 50k-major pain to deal with.
Why do you want silver anyways? 15% of all cars are silver in the north.