Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is what really annoys me about extra cost paint "options".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. This post says what I meant, in different words.

I'm not poor, but I am also a long way from rich. Tesla better have a damn good reason why changing paint colors costs 1000 dollars extra. What's that? They need to make more profits on the 3 to stay in business? Not my problem. They announced it as a $35,000 car a year and a half ago, they should have tried harder to cut costs.

Tesla offering one crappy color and charging ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS to change it, on the "less expensive" model is very manipulative, deceitful, and unethical. That's not the type of thing they want automotive magazines writing about and being announced on the news and internet.
Just a few points before you get to worked up on this:
The only thing we know to day about the paint on Model 3 is what we have seen on the RC cars. This colors that the RC cars have had - witch is the same colors that Model S/X have - we can be pretty sure that will be offered on the Model 3. But we do not yet know:
  • - Will their be even more colors? It will make sense to offer more colors on a mass-produced car then a more limited production car like the model S or X. And it will make sense to offer more non-metallic paint options on this lower priced car then on the more "premium" models.
  • - What will be the price for an upgraded paint? It will make sense to not charge any more for any non-metallic paints, but if metallic is what you want, it make sense to charge some extra for that. But for a smaller car witch will need less paint it will also make sense to charge less the on the bigger models. It also make sense to have a lower margin on the paint option on a lower cost car then on the "premium" models.

And btw: I will also prefer to have a none-cost paint alternative, but I do understand that it is unrealistic if I also want it to be metallic or multi-coat.

Just a few points before you get to worked up on this:
The only thing we know to day about the paint on Model 3 is what we have seen on the RC cars. This colors that the RC cars have had - witch is the same colors that Model S/X have - we can be pretty sure that will be offered on the Model 3. But we do not yet know:
  • - Will their be even more colors? It will make sense to offer more colors on a mass-produced car then a more limited production car like the model S or X. And it will make sense to offer more non-metallic paint options on this lower priced car then on the more "premium" models.
  • - What will be the price for an upgraded paint? It will make sense to not charge any more for any non-metallic paints, but if metallic is what you want, it make sense to charge some extra for that. But for a smaller car witch will need less paint it will also make sense to charge less the on the bigger models. It also make sense to have a lower margin on the paint option on a lower cost car then on the "premium" models.

And btw: I will also prefer to have a none-cost paint alternative, but I do understand that it is unrealistic if I also want it to be metallic or multi-coat.

I think the point being made is that what Tesla has already done to Model S color choice is deceitful. We don't know what will happen for Model 3 but in my book once a cheat is more likely (than not) to be a cheat again.

Think of it this way, suppose the standard dash trim for Model 3 is offered in pink colored marble veneer and with a 2k premium on all other options, would that be fair? Other manufacturers do this sort of cheap tactics everyday but I certainly didn't expect it from Tesla.

I think the point being made is that what Tesla has already done to Model S color choice is deceitful. We don't know what will happen for Model 3 but in my book once a cheat is more likely (than not) to be a cheat again.

Think of it this way, suppose the standard dash trim for Model 3 is offered in pink colored marble veneer and with a 2k premium on all other options, would that be fair? Other manufacturers do this sort of cheap tactics everyday but I certainly didn't expect it from Tesla.
In their defense. It's well known that they were using the high margins for Model 3 development and company expansion. They publicly claim this as well so it's not really deceit. When you buy a Model S/X plus options, you are funding Model 3.

The issue will arise if they continue this kind of pricing for the more affordable model they've been working towards for the last decade.

How much does BMW and MB charge for the non-black paint "upgrade"?

Black is my favorite car color, but I got an Xpel wrap, so it actually ended up costing a lot more than if I would have gotten my second favorite color, silver. The blue is my least favorite color by far, but it seems to be one of the most popular colors right now. Guess I'm a bit of an oddball.

How much does BMW and MB charge for the non-black paint "upgrade"?

Black is my favorite car color, but I got an Xpel wrap, so it actually ended up costing a lot more than if I would have gotten my second favorite color, silver. The blue is my least favorite color by far, but it seems to be one of the most popular colors right now. Guess I'm a bit of an oddball.
Black is Elons favorite color also. You'd think he would charge more for it.

Interesting thread for the week in which Tesla did more work to streamline the production lines of both the S and X.

The trend seems to be for fewer options, not more.

Looking ahead to the alien dreadnought / machine that builds the machine, I can't see the engineers working damn hard to push production rates far above human speeds, only to see them fall back to custom paint-drying speeds.

I think that a choice of less than ten colours is here to stay. If you want more, drive to a paint shop or buy a BMW.

And in a future world where BMWs can drive themselves, how important will personalised colour be anyway?

Last edited:
I think the point being made is that what Tesla has already done to Model S color choice is deceitful.
The point been made in what I quoted/answered to was that @timk225 did work him self up about what he was believing they would do on Model 3 based on what was done on the Model S/X. And the point I did make was that there was a good chance it will not be identical on the lower priced Model 3. Even if the colors and that you would have to pay for anything other then black, there is a good reason to expect the price to be lower.

... but in my book once a cheat...
Cheat? ?!? What are you talking about? "Take what you get, or pay up to get anything else we offer" is a normal way of doing business. And you can easily see the price of the options on the order page.

Think of it this way, suppose the standard dash trim for Model 3 is offered in pink colored marble veneer and with a 2k premium on all other options, would that be fair?
I would not like it, but yes, if that is communicated clearly on their order page then it is fair. I could always wrap it in whatever I like when I get the car for a few bucks. And yes, I do not like the standard dash trim on the Model S, and hate to have to order the premium (leather/vegan?) interior to have a nice dash trim if I was to order Model S/X, but again - I could just wrap it when I get the car - if Model 3 should get the same alternatives on the dash trim.

And if you do not get the car you want for a price you think is right/fair/you can afford, then do not get that car. Get one that gives you what you want. I did not like the seats and dashboard trim on the Bolt/Ampera-e, and then I have not ordered one and is still waiting for the Model 3. Maybe I find things with it that I dislike enough with the Model 3 that I decide not to get it, well, then I do not order it and cancel my reservation. And wait for an another car (Model Y?).

Reactions: Runt8
You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need. I heard that on the radio...

Seriously, I really want and like the old white, but it's a first world problem. When my number comes up for my 3 reservation, I'll look at what Tesla is offering and either click, or not click. That's it.

If I have the $$ to customize my car after the fact, then I really don't have problems.

Black and white paints are the cheapest from a material perspective, as they are base colors that you start with when mixing paint (I believe there are a couple more base colors). Red is the most expensive as it adds the most pigment. I believe red paints cost about 4-6 times more to mix.
You are partly right about reds, but the main reason is that once environmental safety restrictions were imposed on paint makers, many good, non-fading pigments were no longer available to use because (for good reason) the use of hazardous compounds like lead, chromates, and others were banned. The replacement pigments generally do not hide as well and cost many times more, so that red paint must contain more of a more expensive pigment. Even so, many of the best-looking reds still don't hide well, so they are applied over a metallic sub coat (hence the "multi-coat red" name) that hides the primer and, because it shows through, adds brilliance to the final finish.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare and Runt8
@Model 3 and @Camera-Cruiser +1,000,000

I do not find what Tesla is doing deceitful. You will know what the colors are and the cost ahead of time. Just because you don't like it does not mean they are being dishonest.

They are allowed to charge whatever they want for paint and other options. No-one is putting a gun to your head to buy. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

I would would have liked to get the basic white, but it is no longer an option, so I play with the cards that I am dealt with and would be happy with the pearl white (I have seen it in person and looks great), if after all the other options I want puts me out of my budget, then again, I will deal with it and take the basic black.

Again,if you do not like how Tesla is doing business, then you do not have to buy their product. There are other car manufacturers out there.

The color choices we have in S really sucks.

S is selling inspite of the bland colors. To say people love these colors and buying it, and that is why Tesla has these black and white and bland choices, is plain silly.

The color choices we have in S really sucks.

S is selling inspite of the bland colors. To say people love these colors and buying it, and that is why Tesla has these black and white and bland choices, is plain silly.
I like the color choices. I think the bright colors from other manufacturers are “silly.” I also realize that it’s a personal preference and if I don’t like them then I don’t have to buy a car with them.

I like the color choices. I think the bright colors from other manufacturers are “silly.” I also realize that it’s a personal preference and if I don’t like them then I don’t have to buy a car with them.

What are the quotes around silly for?

I don't dislike the existing colors, but other manufacturers have these, plus actual colors. What you are actually saying here is you like the LACK of choices, which I don't understand at all. If other people get the silly choices, yours becomes more unique (so there is a bonus) and if not then it has no effect. Why would you actually prefer fewer choices, even if you never intend to get them?

Reactions: 1 person
What are the quotes around silly for?

I don't dislike the existing colors, but other manufacturers have these, plus actual colors. What you are actually saying here is you like the LACK of choices, which I don't understand at all. If other people get the silly choices, yours becomes more unique (so there is a bonus) and if not then it has no effect. Why would you actually prefer fewer choices, even if you never intend to get them?
No, that’s not what I was saying at all. I was responding to mkjayakumar, who implied that no one likes the color choices and people are buying Tesla’s despite them. I’m all for Tesla adding more choices - I just won’t be buying them.

No, that’s not what I was saying at all. I was responding to mkjayakumar, who implied that no one likes the color choices and people are buying Tesla’s despite them. I’m all for Tesla adding more choices - I just won’t be buying them.

They ARE buying Teslas despite the lack of color choices. The fact so many people on the surveys like blue and red suggest they are really begging for more options. Many of those might go for a different shade of blue or red or green or yellow, but those options aren't there.

It's clearly not that important for most though and I suspect Tesla would still sell a fair number if they went the Ford direction and only sold black. Probably wouldn't stop me from buying even though I would not pick a black car given any other options.

3 out of 10 folks mistake my car as black when asked from a distance. That is in clear daylight.

At night or in low light conditions as in the office parking garage, that is 8 out of 10.

So much for color options !!

No one has given an answer to one of my questions. WHY Tesla stopped offering plain white along with plain black as no-cost colors. Is white a difficult or expensive paint pigment to make?

I think it is because not many wanted basic black, and Tesla eliminated basic white for the specific purpose of getting people to spend more money to not have a basic black car.

I don't like being forced into that choice. If basic white was $200 or $300, then it's not so big a deal, but $1000? No.