Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is why I'm getting the bare bones 35k T3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. We owned a Model S P85 for 5 years, now a Model X. Our range on the S was 225 without "range charging" fully. We charged it only every other night, put 15,000 miles a year on it driving kids around town. It was more than enough. Mother in Law used this knowledge to snag a sweet S60, it's been more than enough. Range degredation really is 1%/year. AC, speeding and Cold weather degredation you can search here. We live in Oregon.
2. We'll use the X for snow and distance travel. If you have a 2 car family, my guess is you'd keep the SUV for now if you are making your first plunge into Tesla.
3. We have 3 boys, oldest will be starting to drive in February. We are doing numbers on cars and of course, that means economy. So cloth seats, standard everything OR you have to buy older/in worse shape/more repairs. We'll share this car between Dad for work and kids evening weekends so we will be splitting the cost (he takes public transport to school). He is having to do numbers on cost per use between owning, Uber and use of this Tesla. The numbers are interesting, do them yourself.
4. AWD may be out of the tax credit. See 2.
5. Compare the bare bones T3 with a 320i stock...just go do it.
6. Oregon just added a 2500 rebate for EVs. So that's a 25k car.
7. I did math and posted here my real world savings on gas and maintenance on our S. It was better than how it was calculated on the Tesla website. I expect 5k in savings. So a 20k car.
8. Black is my favorite color car. But you could also just wrap it.

I'm sure many will want to go for the luxury to compare to a nicely equipped Bimmer/Audi. So the 5k PUP, 1.5k wheels, 1k paint and 5.1 performance would put them into 50k range on those too. I personally think bang for the buck...the base model will be unfreakingbelievable.

And Dad wants AP, but that's my cost. :)

I think I'll also be going with the 35k base with +1k white paint. I'll be using a normal 120V plug to charge it at ~6-7 miles an hour, which is plenty.

I did the T3 comparison with a base 320i, and the 320i isn't bad in comparison... I just know the T3's user and driving experience will be bar none.

What I really want is the Model Y.

I think I'll also be going with the 35k base with +1k white paint. I'll be using a normal 120V plug to charge it at ~6-7 miles an hour, which is plenty.

I did the T3 comparison with a base 320i, and the 320i isn't bad in comparison... I just know the T3's user and driving experience will be bar none.

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing, base with nothing but white paint.

Ya 320i isn't "bad" but doesn't have any of the features in the performance package either. You have to get to a 340i really well optioned to compare to the "top of the line M3".

But 320i doesn't have the performance and handling of the 3, nor a badass computer and AP2 hardware all over it. Add in cost for gas, maintainence, and no rebate/credits...it's a no brainer unless you must have lots of doodads to fiddle with and vents to stare at.

Leather schmeather too. Hot and sticky.

Just want to caution you that I think your Level 1 charge estimate is a little high...Standard Level 1 is about 4-5 miles an hour with most cars, and the Model S is less than that. Don't forget that the 1,440 watts you'll be pulling (120v x 12 amps) also has to power the fans and cooling system on the car....So you might be putting 1,150 or 1,200 watts into the battery...

One more thing I've learned from experience...Check your garage receptacle thoroughly and think about replacing it with a new commercial grade receptacle that uses screw terminals and not the back-stab connections...If you'll be charging at Level 1 speeds for hours on end, you don't want to take a chance on any sort of poor connection that will heat up...

This might change but at the moment I am thinking base model plus white paint, $36K total, and replacement hubcaps for the fugly Aero wheels.

Whoever gets an early Aero wheel car needs to do some testing and provide us with some options for better hubcaps.

I do want the big battery, but $9000? I'm not sure I want it THAT badly.......

I was thinking all day today at work, do I really need the long range? I commute around 66.7 miles each day, hardly do road trips while I can fly instead. Right now in my 02 Volvo XC70, I can drive 330 miles with about 175 miles remaining per onboard display miles to empty tank. With the M3 for 220 miles range, I can plug it in every other night, an order in silver order, AP, maybe premium upgrades and sports wheel since I don't like the standard wheel but always go aftermarket. Dual Motor (AWD), been driving AWD vehicle, like the feel of it but don't really need it in California.

Mainly want a commuter car that is affordable that is within my budget, should I go with the standard battery and use it toward AP and premium upgrade? I won't take delivery most likely until late next year.

I was thinking all day today at work, do I really need the long range? I commute around 66.7 miles each day, hardly do road trips while I can fly instead. Right now in my 02 Volvo XC70, I can drive 330 miles with about 175 miles remaining per onboard display miles to empty tank. With the M3 for 220 miles range, I can plug it in every other night, an order in silver order, AP, maybe premium upgrades and sports wheel since I don't like the standard wheel but always go aftermarket. Dual Motor (AWD), been driving AWD vehicle, like the feel of it but don't really need it in California.

Mainly want a commuter car that is affordable that is within my budget, should I go with the standard battery and use it toward AP and premium upgrade? I won't take delivery most likely until late next year.
I have a model X 75 which is 237 miles of range. I have never lacked for range. We takes 1,300 mile trip 2x a year (snow birds). The supercharger network is outstanding. No range anxiety...220 miles should not be an issue. Can't wait to start meeting Model 3 owners. See you at the SuperCharger;)

1. We owned a Model S P85 for 5 years, now a Model X. Our range on the S was 225 without "range charging" fully. We charged it only every other night, put 15,000 miles a year on it driving kids around town. It was more than enough. Mother in Law used this knowledge to snag a sweet S60, it's been more than enough. Range degredation really is 1%/year. AC, speeding and Cold weather degredation you can search here. We live in Oregon.
2. We'll use the X for snow and distance travel. If you have a 2 car family, my guess is you'd keep the SUV for now if you are making your first plunge into Tesla.
3. We have 3 boys, oldest will be starting to drive in February. We are doing numbers on cars and of course, that means economy. So cloth seats, standard everything OR you have to buy older/in worse shape/more repairs. We'll share this car between Dad for work and kids evening weekends so we will be splitting the cost (he takes public transport to school). He is having to do numbers on cost per use between owning, Uber and use of this Tesla. The numbers are interesting, do them yourself.
4. AWD may be out of the tax credit. See 2.
5. Compare the bare bones T3 with a 320i stock...just go do it.
6. Oregon just added a 2500 rebate for EVs. So that's a 25k car.
7. I did math and posted here my real world savings on gas and maintenance on our S. It was better than how it was calculated on the Tesla website. I expect 5k in savings. So a 20k car.
8. Black is my favorite color car. But you could also just wrap it.

I'm sure many will want to go for the luxury to compare to a nicely equipped Bimmer/Audi. So the 5k PUP, 1.5k wheels, 1k paint and 5.1 performance would put them into 50k range on those too. I personally think bang for the buck...the base model will be unfreakingbelievable.

And Dad wants AP, but that's my cost. :)

Glad to read your post. Im here in Portland too. New to EV, only because i have saved all my money the last 5 years to buy a Tesla.....

I hate how you have to get a Premium package to get heated seats. Its so nice to have that here in Portland on rainy days.

Cloth for me is fine, but definitely the whole point of a Tesla is AP, and the future is full autonomy (just around the corner?) so i will get that as well. I really wish the AWD was here as it helps alot i bet in the rain? What is your experience on that with the Model X in the rain vs an S RWD in the rain?

Reactions: Genshi

Did you factor in the cost of gas? You might want to check your math...

To me, range is paramount! I don't like paying another $9k for it, was hoping for 5-7k, but range is king. 310 is outstanding, even if I have to pay $44,000 for it. Why, plan a trip from Phoenix to Portland and see how often you have to stop at superchargers when you are supposed to charge up 80% of the cars range. On the base M3's 220 miles of range the 80% charge is 176. That means on the trip from Phoenix to Portland you may be stopping at every single supercharger on the way and that adds time to your trip. With the 310 miles of range and an 80% recharge of 248, at least on the trip from Phoenix to Portland you might be able to skip a supercharger.

Skipping superchargers is an extremely inefficient mode. The goal should be to arrive with as low of a range as possible at each charger and charge just enough to get to your next one. Usually a 10-15% buffer is all you need. It's the most efficient model of long-range travel. Charging to 80% at a supercharger instead of 50% will cost you more time than you realize.

Another thing to consider that I tell potential Tesla owners...On road trips, the car's battery essentially is the most useful up to 80% of its range. Because it can take just as long to charge from 80 to 100% as it did from empty to 80%, and most people want to avoid excessive waiting at a Supercharger.

If you're going to take road trips in the car, I would highly recommend the larger battery (you also get faster Supercharger performance with the larger battery)...If the car (for you) is more for driving around town, then maybe you don't need the larger battery...

I've been thinking about this all day. I can't decide if longer range is more important than having autopilot. I want the premium option package for the glass roof, adjustable seats and of corse, the folding mirrors. Don't know why I like the folding mirrors so much, but every time I see them on a Tesla I get really excited. Again, no idea why, not logical.

I hardly take any road trips, but I may change jobs in the next few years, start a family etc etc, so not sure what I'll need in the future.

Option 1: Base 35,000
Midnight Silver Metallic 1,000
Premium Package 5,000
Sport wheels 1,500
Autopilot 5,000
-1,000 reservation payment
Total: 46,500

Option 2: Long range 44,000
Midnight Silver Metallic 1,000
Premium Package 5,000
Sport wheels 1,500
-1000 reservation payment