Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is why I'm getting the bare bones 35k T3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's insane, and something my wife would not tolerate. I'd never hear the end of "we should've bought the Accord or Civic" if the Model 3 has even one problem upon delivery, and would probably even be pushed to refuse delivery and head straight to the Honda dealership. Model 3 will be our first non-Japanese car, so it's imperative for it to be a good quality, reliable EV.
My wife is furious and ready to give it away.

That's insane, and something my wife would not tolerate. I'd never hear the end of "we should've bought the Accord or Civic" if the Model 3 has even one problem upon delivery, and would probably even be pushed to refuse delivery and head straight to the Honda dealership. Model 3 will be our first non-Japanese car, so it's imperative for it to be a good quality, reliable EV.

I'm coming from a trouble free 165k+ mile 2006 Prius and I've also only owned Japanese cars. We purchased a first model year Lexus 13 years ago and we had a bunch of minor issues which really soured me on the Lexus brand. Quality and reliability wise...I anticipate that the Model 3 will also dissapointment me and the overworked, high pressured assembly workers are probably not helping in quality. I'm really thinking about just picking up a Prius Prime cuz Prius' are so freakin reliable.

I'm coming from a trouble free 165k+ mile 2006 Prius and I've also only owned Japanese cars. We purchased a first model year Lexus 13 years ago and we had a bunch of minor issues which really soured me on the Lexus brand. Quality and reliability wise...I anticipate that the Model 3 will also dissapointment me and the overworked, high pressured assembly workers are probably not helping in quality. I'm really thinking about just picking up a Prius Prime cuz Prius' are so freakin reliable.

Funny - you know Lexus is Toyota's luxury line, right? 13 years ago, any Lexus would basically be a rebranded Toyota. Both are famous for their quality control. But every car can be unique, and not every car can be perfect.

But I totally agree that QC will be an issue with the new Model 3. I have an early Model X, and there are many minor issues. None though that bother me enough to sour me on Tesla as a whole. A coworker got his X soon after me, and although I thought they were about comparable, he was much less pleased with his minor issues. Tolerance for variation will also depend on the individual.

Funny - you know Lexus is Toyota's luxury line, right? 13 years ago, any Lexus would basically be a rebranded Toyota. Both are famous for their quality control. But every car can be unique, and not every car can be perfect.

But I totally agree that QC will be an issue with the new Model 3. I have an early Model X, and there are many minor issues. None though that bother me enough to sour me on Tesla as a whole. A coworker got his X soon after me, and although I thought they were about comparable, he was much less pleased with his minor issues. Tolerance for variation will also depend on the individual.
We've always been Honda/Acura, and they've been perfectly sufficient, good quality cars. Not sure what that says about our expectations, but Tesla needs to bring it quality-wise from the start with this car. Minor panel alignment issues probably won't be too much of an issue, but there can't be any noticeable scratches or paint chips, nor any rips or tears in the seats/interior. Oh, and the driving experience and tech needs to be amazing, or at least more amazing than our prior Civics, Accords, and currently underwhelming ILX.

We've always been Honda/Acura, and they've been perfectly sufficient, good quality cars. Not sure what that says about our expectations, but Tesla needs to bring it quality-wise from the start with this car. Minor panel alignment issues probably won't be too much of an issue, but there can't be any noticeable scratches or paint chips, nor any rips or tears in the seats/interior. Oh, and the driving experience and tech needs to be amazing, or at least more amazing than our prior Civics, Accords, and currently underwhelming ILX.

Before my current car, I was a Honda/Acura guy too. I felt that they handled better than Toyota/Lexus. More driver experience-centric.

Performance-wise, if the standard S and X are any indication, you won't be disappointed by the 3. Maybe it's all just electric vs gas, and the low center of gravity of the Teslas... but they feel great to drive, and I can't imagine the 3 to be much worse.