Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have 2018.12 since April 2nd, on wifi every night and finally got the nav update this afternoon. Came out to my car at the end of the work day and it had updated. It is *significantly* improved. It was useless before for going to/from work (picking the shortest route instead of fastest - which were VERY different routes) but it picked the correct route for the first time (and with a small adjustment that would have had to use current traffic data).

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Seems like there has been a big push of new maps in the rest of the US, lots of green (green means new maps and yellow means all maps)

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 9.27.14 PM.png

If you haven't added yourself to the map you can do it here, see the full map here

Reactions: Gt1948
Hey guys,

As others have stated, it does seem like they're turning on the new map feature more widely now. Came out of the house this morning and had the notice on the screen - it is way, way improved. Night and day for me. It's clear they still have some things to layer in (Toll Road indicators would be nice), and the main maps interface isn't changed at all (still Google, so I guess nav not completely tied to the new open source stuff supposedly coming?), but I am super happy. I suppose it's baked into the last firmware release, but they're just "turning it on" for people as they go? I didn't notice any additional download of data to my car overnight.

cheers,

So on the 24th I got the 5.3 GB download, but I still don’t see the new maps or Nav. Is there an average time between the download completion and the actual implementation of the maps & Nav? I’ve checked the release notes and I’m showing the regular release notes for 2018.14.2

So on the 24th I got the 5.3 GB download, but I still don’t see the new maps or Nav. Is there an average time between the download completion and the actual implementation of the maps & Nav? I’ve checked the release notes and I’m showing the regular release notes for 2018.14.2

Your car is just slow. Sorry it's a bell curve. But don't worry I'm sure it will make up for it in other ways like artistic talent.

• Funny
Reactions: AndrewTX and Ken7
Just wanted to add an anecdotal endorsement of the new routing engine. Today, coming from Palo Alto going to Solano County, I decided to compare Waze and the new Tesla routing engine. Waze estimated the trip would take about two hours in afternoon traffic, and provided a route across the Dumbarton Bridge. Tesla routed through San Francisco, across the Bay Bridge and estimated about 1 hour 40 minutes for the route. I took Tesla's preferred route and watched Waze along the way. Waze initially estimate the ETA to be 6:15 p.m. for the route Tesla had planned; Tesla estimated the ETA to be 5:40 p.m. Tesla's ETA remained fairly consistent, dropping to 5:30 p.m. toward the end, which is when I arrived. Waze's ETA converged with Tesla's very slowly and was still off by about 20 minutes quite late into the drive.

Ultimately, Tesla's routing was much more accurate regarding the ETA of the path it chose and seems to have saved me about 30 minutes (assuming Waze was correct in its initial assessment of how long the Dumbarton Bridge route would have taken). Of course, this is one trip and could be a fluke, but I now have much more confidence in Tesla's routing and I encourage others to try similar experiments to see if Tesla's new engine can consistently perform as well as (or better than!?) Waze.

Just found your post. Was curious if others had experienced same. I've had the new maps for a couple of days and have been comparing Tesla Nav to Waze for lots of drives. So far its either better or equal. Now I'm just using Waze for hazards and police warnings:).

So I am on 2018.12 in both cars (S and X) and got the maps update finally in both cars. I didn’t get the notification about the “Waze-like” crowdsource traffic-based routing that people with 2018.14.2 and 2018.16 have been reporting.

Do you think I’d get a subsequent maps update on top of the existing one once I get a newer firmware?

So I am on 2018.12 in both cars (S and X) and got the maps update finally in both cars. I didn’t get the notification about the “Waze-like” crowdsource traffic-based routing that people with 2018.14.2 and 2018.16 have been reporting.

Do you think I’d get a subsequent maps update on top of the existing one once I get a newer firmware?

Yes.

• Love

In the meantime you are still benefitting from the crowd -- routing is done in the cloud when you have internet connectivity.

It just means your car is likely not contributing data yet.

I got the maps update today, after receiving 2018.16 staged by the service center, but wanted to add my observation that new maps did not, at lest on my cart, need 12 or so hours for the maps to materialize. The car finished downloading about 5.1Gb of data about 10 AM and then, during my drive at 12:30 pm, the CID rebooted and the notification appeared that new maps are available. So, my car took about 2.5 hrs to install the map update. Could the car have downloaded new maps at the service center? I guess, it could've., but the 5.1Gb download at my office makes me think that it was the map update.

This is starting to get frustrating. I got timely firmware updates from the time I took delivery in June, 2017 . . . until now. I've been stuck on 2018.10 for nearly two months as of today. I can't even get close to a firmware version that eventually might give me the improved nav system. I have a Wi-Fi range extender in the garage that gives the car a "4-bar" signal, but I've received no notifications or updates since early March. It's starting to seem strange to have some owners groping about with firmware 2-4 versions behind those that are prevalent in most of the country. I realize that the maps are a big download, but the firmware is not. What is going on?

2014 S60, no AP:

Got 2018.14.2 on April 20th and Nav update on April 27th

New Nav finally fixed a weird routing problem: when navigating from my home in SW Colorado to the Blanding UT Supercharger Station, the old Nav would pick a much longer route up and over the mountains versus the shorter route around the mountains. It would never even occur to a local to go that way and it means the energy plot was way off! The new Nav does pick the shorter, easier route. Seems to be an improvement. Don't deal with traffic and the like, so I can't check the urban routing changes touted in the release notes.