Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm missing something subtle - can someone explain the hype to me? The maps look different, but I see nothing on the video or in any of the explanations that makes these maps appreciably better than what I have. On my 2016 MS, AP1, MCU1, my current maps look fine, are quite responsive, and provide good navigation. They do traffic well, and they seem reliable. Unless we're getting something like waypoints or Waze-level routing, I just don't see how this change in graphics is going to improve things. What makes them "light years better?" Will they improve my AP1 experience? Provide an opportunity for exiting off-ramps or changing freeways with AP1? Sexier voice?
I don't think there's anything "light years ahead" of these maps for sure. They took away some useful features in my view too.

But Tesla gets more control over the mapping data, and so for them it's more important. Also they don't need to pay a third party every time they ship a car with new maps ;)

Only to people on wifi. maps are never downloading on cell network.

I know Tesla says that but people who have never setup WiFi have reported that they have gotten map updates in the past. (I suppose it might be possible that they had connected to the Tesla Service WiFi to get them, but I was pretty sure at least one person said they were never near a service center.)

I know Tesla says that but people who have never setup WiFi have reported that they have gotten map updates in the past. (I suppose it might be possible that they had connected to the Tesla Service WiFi to get them, but I was pretty sure at least one person said they were never near a service center.)
The manual says that if you don't have wifi you need to come by the service center to get the maps. So does the changelog for regions that had maps enabled after delivery via a software update.

I'm not sure this is the "new" vector mapping etc that was supposed to be pushed out. I've had this exact map on my Model S I picked up last week thursday since the day I picked it up. It's only on the driver gauge panel. Mine looks identical to the video. With the bubbles and the exit pop ups, etc. It was pointed out in the other thread that this isn't the new nav Elon was talking about.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Here this is from 7 months ago, showing the "new" gauge nav display. It seems all of the cars delivered with the new MCU this month already had this version installed. (mine included) If this is the only change I'm kinda disappointed, I was expecting it to be a totally new nav system. :(

I'm not sure this is the "new" vector mapping etc that was supposed to be pushed out. I've had this exact map on my Model S I picked up last week thursday since the day I picked it up. It's only on the driver gauge panel. Mine looks identical to the video. With the bubbles and the exit pop ups, etc. It was pointed out in the other thread that this isn't the new nav Elon was talking about.

Am I missing something?
You are not missing anything. The Tesla Maps that's currently in use on Model 3 and on S/X in Taiwan and Middle East and apparently on MCU2 cars too - is being overhyped by Elon for some reason as "light years ahead" of the Navigon one.

You are not missing anything. The Tesla Maps that's currently in use on Model 3 and on S/X in Taiwan and Middle East and apparently on MCU2 cars too - is being overhyped by Elon for some reason as "light years ahead" of the Navigon one.
Awww dang, I was thinking it was something totally different. Is there something different on the back end that isn't immediately apparent maybe?

Awww dang, I was thinking it was something totally different. Is there something different on the back end that isn't immediately apparent maybe?
back end is totally different of course, but I am not sure if it's for better of for worse. Navigon has a superflexible backend with a whole bunch of functionality that Tesla decided not to expose in UI (like preferred route types, multiple voices, multi-stop routes (exposed via supercharger stops) and so on).

Any comments on differences in routing? That I'm more concerned about than the cosmetics. Right now in the Bay Area the directions that Navigon Tesla maps gives me are completely useless unless it's 3AM at night.

I haven't made any "real" trips yet, I'll see if I can take a little road trip to somewhere I haven't been, to test it out this weekend. Hopefully, with much better video!!

back end is totally different of course, but I am not sure if it's for better of for worse. Navigon has a superflexible backend with a whole bunch of functionality that Tesla decided not to expose in UI (like preferred route types, multiple voices, multi-stop routes (exposed via supercharger stops) and so on).

I assume improvements must be in functionality like that only small parts of the maps can be easily updated, instead of a full 5Gb download with already outdated data. Hence Elon’s remark that it is a mature beta but will improve quickly.

@BigD0g and @verygreen Thank you for all your insights!!!

I suspect that the "light years" differences are much less in the user interface & visuals than on the routing provided by the new maps.

To test this, would LOVE to see an experiment in which a complex navigation route is tested using:

1. Old Tesla Nav
2. Ne Tesla Nav
3. Waze
4. (Optionally) Google Maps and/or Apple Maps

The Old Tesla Nav sucks - as badly as my 2001 Garmin brick that I had 2 cars ago. It's not "smart" in any way, and its directions are wrong and its time estimates VERY off. If, however, it bears any resemblance to what Waze gives, I'll say "mission accomplished" to @Elon!