Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@BigD0g and @verygreen Thank you for all your insights!!!

I suspect that the "light years" differences are much less in the user interface & visuals than on the routing provided by the new maps.

To test this, would LOVE to see an experiment in which a complex navigation route is tested using:

1. Old Tesla Nav
2. Ne Tesla Nav
3. Waze
4. (Optionally) Google Maps and/or Apple Maps

The Old Tesla Nav sucks - as badly as my 2001 Garmin brick that I had 2 cars ago. It's not "smart" in any way, and its directions are wrong and its time estimates VERY off. If, however, it bears any resemblance to what Waze gives, I'll say "mission accomplished" to @Elon!

I'm hoping to run some tests this weekend with the new nav, google maps and Waze to places I don't frequent and see how things go. Eww apple maps eww... :p

So - do we know what this new nav is actually supposed to have or do differently? So far, it just looks like a new IC look, which as I mentioned, has been out a few weeks now with any new MCU2 model S/X vehicles. I've been using mine for a week, and so far I don't really notice any difference in routing from the demos I've had that were older S/X.

I assume improvements must be in functionality like that only small parts of the maps can be easily updated, instead of a full 5Gb download with already outdated data. Hence Elon’s remark that it is a mature beta but will improve quickly.

They are doing it with current maps too, just less frequently (because every map update costs money I guess?)
The way the version those maps they still plan to update them entirely it appears (which really means they are versioned as one big whole - that does not mean they will rewrite them from scratch every time of course).

The whole fleet uses Navigon...so yes, every Tesla (that isn't blacklisted/salvage).
Even blacklisted/salvaged Teslas use Navigon, this navigation is offline.

@BigD0g and @verygreen Thank you for all your insights!!!

I suspect that the "light years" differences are much less in the user interface & visuals than on the routing provided by the new maps.

To test this, would LOVE to see an experiment in which a complex navigation route is tested using:

1. Old Tesla Nav
2. Ne Tesla Nav
3. Waze
4. (Optionally) Google Maps and/or Apple Maps

The Old Tesla Nav sucks - as badly as my 2001 Garmin brick that I had 2 cars ago. It's not "smart" in any way, and its directions are wrong and its time estimates VERY off. If, however, it bears any resemblance to what Waze gives, I'll say "mission accomplished" to @Elon!

It really depends. Waze and google maps give you choice of several routes, that alone is very good and is missing in the current offering.

When I tried the navigation back last yesr - it was both better and worse. The routing it offered was very close to what google maps offered as the primary option, BUT in some places navigon route was better (you can see it in my old video where I ignore new ui routing and use old ui routing because it's better), so it all depends on how out of date your area is wrt the navigon maps - that would have the biggest impact (assuming the new maps are any better for your area).

I know but most of that thread is from months ago. I was thinking that this “huge maps” update would somehow start to tie that system into something that did something

Nah, this is completely separate, this is purely for nav/routing. Note that as far as the ADAS tiles (e.g. the autopilot maps) go, when we could see the /dev/ URL, there was a lot of activity dated late December 2017 in the map tiles. The live environment for the US still only shows maps from 2017-05 or so.

I've been periodically monitoring the /live/ URL but I don't see any new map tiles there.

Because the new maps ain't bitmap tiles? Vector maps afaik are not built with tiles...

just guessing, but had to raise the question ;)
The ADAS tiles are definitely vector based (they use splines to represent road segments), and they're tile based.

But aside from that, the point I was trying to stress was that there were newer versions in /dev/ that we were locked out of. So regardless of whether or not they're planning some dramatic new format change… new ADAS tiles are in the works but not released yet.

• Informative
Reactions: evster
.12 last night. Drove to San Francisco today. Predicted my arrival within 2 minutes in spite of four stretches of stop and go traffic.
Nav to Palo Alto SeC. Doing well until last mile on El Camino when it freaked out and kept telling me to take back roads, make a u turn, etc. Traffic was light.

Well the weekend is hours away for us!!! Hoping it’s not an April Fool joke on us

ECB16A8A-8E32-4B22-834C-CA28F8689023.png

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200