Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone confirmed receiving the maps update without first installing 2018.12?
I got a map update, I don't know if it is THE map update.

I usually don't have wifi connected, so visiting some family over Easter, I connected to their wifi. I heard the talk around here that wifi was needed for the map update and was hoping for 2018.12 as well.

Monday morning after heading home, I got a new maps installed message on the MCU, but there was no apparent changes what I could see.

I'm still on 2018.10 and in Europe, so I wasn't expecting to see it activated. But it would be nice to at least have the maps installed.

I usually don't have wifi connected, so visiting some family over Easter, I connected to their wifi. I heard the talk around here that wifi was needed for the map update and was hoping for 2018.12 as well.

Monday morning after heading home, I got a new maps installed message on the MCU, but there was no apparent changes what I could see.

I'm still on 2018.10 and in Europe, so I wasn't expecting to see it activated. But it would be nice to at least have the maps installed.

The new maps are evident in the IC not on the MCU. Not heard of anyone getting it on .10 nor in Europe. If you're not normally on Wi-Fi I guess it could be an earlier version, mine was updated when the car was serviced at the beginning of March.

The new maps are evident in the IC not on the MCU. Not heard of anyone getting it on .10 nor in Europe. If you're not normally on Wi-Fi I guess it could be an earlier version, mine was updated when the car was serviced at the beginning of March.
This is why I haven't stated it as I got the new maps on 2018.10

I have however had the car on wifi on some occasions since I got it, including first service (November 2017) and my phones wifi hotspot when I'm impatient for updates. This is however the first time I noticed that the new maps installed message popped up, and it seems like a strange coincidence I would get it now.

But since no one else seems to be reporting it, the obvious conclusion would be that it is in fact a coincidence.

The new navigation beta is only for North America, and you don't get a maps updated prompt. You get the release notes talking about the beta navigation update. But apparently they are releasing updated Navigon maps for you as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Keep us updated please, @Veritas1980.
I'm in Europe as well, received the new firmware, nothing else at the moment (car is connected to WiFi every night).

Will do, but I don’t think it is the new maps, otherwise it should have happened with others as well.

The new navigation beta is only for North America, and you don't get a maps updated prompt. You get the release notes talking about the beta navigation update. But apparently they are releasing updated Navigon maps for you as well.
Yeah, I know.
Strange if they still are sending out Navigon, but maybe they have a long time before scheduled deployment of the new navigation here in Europe.

If you got "Your maps have been updated" (or similar, I dont remember the exact wording), then that's only for CID Google Maps, not related to "light years ahead" Tesla Maps everyone is talking about.

Correction, (thanks @MP3Mike ):

No the "Your maps have been updated" is for the offline Navigon maps used for navigation, not the Google maps displayed on the CID.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if old non-AP cars from 2012 are even capable of using the new nav? I got an update yesterday that just added roadside assist dialing from the T logo at the top of the screen and nothing else.

Yes. Non-AP cars will get the new navigation.
I have a classic (pre-AP) MS 85 kWh. Installed the firmware update (2018.12) on Saturday (3/31) night. The map update pop up appeared today - Wednesday (4/4) morning...

----

If I’m reading my car’s logs correctly... it needs to be on WiFi AND plugged in to download the map updates...

Definitely does not need to be plugged in. My WiFi access time and charging time are 100% mutually exclusive.

I am on 2018.12 AP 1, every night my car sits in the garage connected to full WIFI signal but still no Nav updates.... it seems like they are rolling it randomly.... not sure if tech support can push it to my car, has anyone tried calling tech support to push it?

Reactions: tmoz
I am on 2018.12 AP 1, every night my car sits in the garage connected to full WIFI signal but still no Nav updates.... it seems like they are rolling it randomly.... not sure if tech support can push it to my car, has anyone tried calling tech support to push it?

Why bother tech support? As you said, they are rolling it out randomly. It will come!

Reactions: EVCarGUy and ABC2D
Better to wait until Tesla pushes your updates. They often send out a batch, but discover that it needs additional tweakes. People getting the slightly later edition may get an even better update.

Gotta chill a little about all these updates and let Tesla determing the best procedure.

Reactions: mrElbe
Definitely does not need to be plugged in. My WiFi access time and charging time are 100% mutually exclusive.

Take this with a grain of salt, as my car is still running 2018.10 and has not had the map updates pushed yet, but at least for me it definitely wants to be plugged in AND on WiFi... that combo certainly won’t hurt your chances!

(Looking at he the below logs from my car, it does appear it can pull the map updates down while not charging so long as it is also not set to sleep)

Code:
BASE_CONDITIONS=charging || ! sleepenabled || ( ! charging & (sleepenabled & sessiontime < 3600))

“target_version":"NA-Q415-12795998","size":4152288565,"max_wifi_kbps":10000,"max_cell_kbps":0

Why bother tech support? As you said, they are rolling it out randomly. It will come!

We experienced a problem with firmware updates last fall. Without any notification, Tesla moved our car to the "do not update" list because several attempts to download the firmware to our car failed.

After not receiving updates for an extended period, I called Tesla's phone support, they looked at the logs, and told us we would need to take the car in so the service center could manually install the update. And since then (we think) the car is updating normally.

Since it's possible for a car to be blocked from receiving updates, without any notification, then owners should contact Tesla if they are concerned they haven't seen an update for an extended period.

And, if enough customers do this, it may encourage Tesla to provide a better way to get the status of software updates - or even better still would be the ability for customers to request the update be sent to their cars (either from the car's console, smartphone app, or Tesla Account on the website).

Though, based on past experience with major software updates, anyone that hasn't yet seen the navigation update should wait for 1 or 2 months before getting concerned, since Tesla usually goes through a start-stop-resume distribution process, fixing major bugs, which usually means some cars may not get new features for quite a while.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
We experienced a problem with firmware updates last fall. Without any notification, Tesla moved our car to the "do not update" list because several attempts to download the firmware to our car failed.

After not receiving updates for an extended period, I called Tesla's phone support, they looked at the logs, and told us we would need to take the car in so the service center could manually install the update. And since then (we think) the car is updating normally.

Since it's possible for a car to be blocked from receiving updates, without any notification, then owners should contact Tesla if they are concerned they haven't seen an update for an extended period.

And, if enough customers do this, it may encourage Tesla to provide a better way to get the status of software updates - or even better still would be the ability for customers to request the update be sent to their cars (either from the car's console, smartphone app, or Tesla Account on the website).

Though, based on past experience with major software updates, anyone that hasn't yet seen the navigation update should wait for 1 or 2 months before getting concerned, since Tesla usually goes through a start-stop-resume distribution process, fixing major bugs, which usually means some cars may not get new features for quite a while.

Agreed. Here’s the problem for those of us who live in apartments and garage our cars in underground garages: no WiFi! When maps updates depend on WiFi for installation, and you don’t have WiFi, you don’t get the updates. Ever.

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon