Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people are reading too much into the “light years ahead” stuff.

I think he was referring mostly to back-end stuff and what it enables for future capability.

Being open-sourced means that Tesla can in the future crowd-source map improvements.

For instance, if an AP camera sees a speed limit sign and several cars confirm it, they can automatically update that info.

If a car drives where a road was not, they can log that and get a new road added quickly.

I think that new actual functionality will come in future updates—this is just about doing the switchover.

I am in a loaner S100D running MCU2, so I am running the new maps version. In my old car, routing a particular destination would always have me hop off the freeway at a particular exit and jump back on the freeway at the next entrance. I’d always ignore the suggestion and stay on the freeway as any normal person would.

With the new maps, it no longer routes me off and back on the freeway. At least for this one limited scenario, the routing logic has been improved on the new engine for me.
That by itself would be light-years ahead in the frustration level.

I have several of those weird areas where this would be appropriate for the Nav to say:

"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead—your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"

The new IC instructions and diagrams are much better than the old.
I did have a few times where it got completely confused and started giving odd directions. On the Bay Bridge it suddenly told me to turn left onto a local road that was part of a previous route. On El Camino it seemed to think there was a traffic tie up and tried to route me around it. (Traffic was light.)
These seem like beta bugs that should be easy to squash.

Well, I got the map update last night, but I notice that the Google logo on the center console map is still there. I thought they were using a source other than Google for this update. The IC display update will take a little getting used to, but overall, it seems ok. The upcoming street names in balloons makes the screen a bit busy, in my mind.

Reading all these complaints is hilarious. For everyone that’s complaining about not having it, the weekend is far from over. For everyone complaining about functionality, how about you use it for more than 24 hours before passing ultimate judgment lol.

For those of you who haven’t had any issues with the old system, the world doesn’t revolve around you... crazy huh... because for many people the 3 year old maps send them on wild goose chases and this update is in fact “light years” ahead.

The CID is google maps, always has been, probably always will be? But eventually they will flip the switch and use google vector maps, it's already being done on the MCU2 and M3's I suspect it's just a matter of time, before everyone gets the google vector maps on the CID.

The new maps aka Tesla Maps aka Vahalla are used for routing aka replacement of Navigon.

Perhaps, one day, they'll use Tesla Maps for CID and routing, but i'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: P100DHG. and croman
Okay.. so the map-data seems to have been updated for a bunch of people. A.k.a the Navigon maps for route guidance has been replaced. What I haven't read anything about is the new vector maps on the 17" screen. If I'm not misinterpreting something here the Vector maps would be Google maps?

If I undestand things correct, the Vector maps that are supposed to improve performance on the 17" screen will be loaded in real time from google, but instead of loading google bitmaps like in the old system, they are loaded as vectors instead?

So, to see performance improvements on the 17" screen, this update will mean nothing since it is the maps for the routing engine that is replaced? Or has anyone seen any vector maps as of yet in the 17" screen?

Or am I just missing something here?

If I’m reading my car’s logs correctly... it needs to be on WiFi AND plugged in to download the map updates... which basically means my car won’t get the update for a while as it is almost never on WiFi.

Isn’t clear if you need 2018.12 fw or not... I’m still on 2018.10.4

Reactions: MelaniainLA
FWIW, I find the new-style nav presentation in our Model 3 indeed light-years ahead of the now-being-phased-out old Model S/X style. Subtle, smooth auto-zooming. Bubbled cross streets. Clear lane indication. Perspective rendering.

Hoping for the same to soon arrive in our S.
Agreed. Just drove 340 mi NorCal->SoCal in the 3. Mapping is smooth and %SOC at destination was accurate. I just wish it would learn my prefs for this route:
Only want to stop at Kettleman City. (not Harris. not Buttonwillow).
Order Nitro Cold-brew from barista when I plug-in.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
For those people in Canada

new Nav is NOT released in Canada... yet...

upload_2018-4-2_15-51-39.png

• Helpful
Reactions: vraev and TS_Rob