TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Here, There, and EVerywhere... Posting our trip SoCal to East Coast and back...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AEdennis, May 30, 2015.

1. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

So, we were hoping to join the crew in Maryland for the Reach the Beach event over a month ago, we did a lot of planning and scenarios for this trip, but but couldn't find the time to make it there on time.

We found the time a few weeks later and decided to do the "Great American Roadtrip. Tesla Edition" for a whirl.

I drafted the trip blog posts on a daily basis and decided to release them 4 weeks from each day of the trip...

So, if you'd like to join us on our "pseudo-real time" journey.

Here are the first 2 posts.

The post from yesterday for preparation.

The post from our first day of the trip published at 9am Pacific today.

Subsequent days will be posted at our blog at 9am Pacific/12 noon Eastern/5pm BST/6pm CET.

Enjoy.

2. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

Enjoyed the first two days of posts. Looking forward to reading the entire series and look forward to seeing you you at our next OCTesla meetup.
    Bonnie

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Thanks Bonnie... I have it all scheduled to publish at 9am everyday... So, just check in to the blog, or subscribe.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

It's past 9:00 am Pacific Time/5:00 pm BST...

Today's post is up...

Can you guess what we learned after the first day of 808 miles of driving?

[SPOILER ALERT] Slow down... We're not racing, and 808 miles is a LOT of driving!

5. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Today's post just went up...

A short snippet, waffles, Presidents, and the view from the window...

The drive was a shorter 300 mile or so drive with LESS Interstates and via Lusk, WY

6. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Enjoyable, breezy style with great photos.

7. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Thanks CHGolferJim!

Today's post is up!

It was a long drive. Hoped to make it to Wisconsin, with a little tension toward the end of the day.

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

What's in store for Day 5 (click here)?

Well... The day started with a strange noise emanating from our Model S at the start of this leg of our Roadtrip 2015!

Are we looking at a little disaster?

(The Post is up, next day will be up tomorrow at 9am Pacific/12 noon Eastern/5pm BST/6pm CET/Friday Midnight HKT/2am AET)

9. smilepak

smilepak Member

I noticed you only use the Tesla Super Charger, no other type of EV used along the route huh.

10. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Not at the moment. This was a primarily SC powered trip followed by L1 - 110V, CHAdeMO, then L2 (both HPWC and J1772) in subsequent days.

Have to stay tuned.

11. smilepak

smilepak Member

how accurate is the map route calculation with sc in mind? Do you have a choice to choose between sc only vs sc and other eg on the route calculation?

12. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You can remove the SC calculations from the navigation. We used it as a guide, but since we were also helping Teslarati with the beta of the App (now released) we stopped at pretty much whatever SC was along the way.

13. Tgomez519

Tgomez519 New Member

Great story-

Its it's been great reading your post- I really enjoy it and can't wait to read about the rest of your trip! Btw I m from NorCal and did a road trip in my model s to AZ and that frozen custard at Culvers is still on my mind!

14. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I am glad that you are enjoying the posts. I had a second opportunity to try frozen custard on the roadtrip and I am a big fan of it. This was the most convenient location to get it though.

Oh, and today's trip post is now published - Day 6.

15. smilepak

smilepak Member

#15 smilepak, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    This thread has been helpful. I am planning to get a Tesla (lease or finance) 70D in the coming month. We tend to go up to NorCal at least a few times a year.

1) From our house to the first SC (Tejon Ranch) on the 5 freeway is approx 125 miles. Which isn't too bad, but the high mountain of the 5 and LA traffic, that might be ok
    2) From that first SC to second SC (Harris Ranch) is better only 120 miles.
    3) From Harris to Gilroy is 115 miles, cutting through the 152 route.

I suppose we can charge up in Fremont while we are hanging around Silicon Valley. I would think since Tesla factory is there, I would assume more SC around Silicon Valley, but Fremont is the only one ahhah.

Question: I notice you went on a trip with just two ppl. In a car of 4 let day adult and each person one luggage, how much range effect would you think or did you experience any range effect due to added weight?

This whole thread might end up making me give up certain add-on and get the 85D instead ahahha

PCH Route Experience for anyone else who is interested (The highs and lows of driving up Californias Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) in a Tesla Model S | Forums | Tesla Motors)

16. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I've only taken the 101 down from Fremont as we took delivery of our car at the factory (after a factory tour).

Elevation and weight does play a factor in the range, but, the batteries are a big part of the weight of the car. I'm not a "light" man, I'm what I would call "under-tall" for my weight :wink:. So, I would guess that the effect is negligible. The 70D is a great car, [SPOILER ALERT] we actually got to drive one on the trip.

When we were first told to "finalize" our order, we had the choice of the 40, 60, and 85 and I've always felt the need to get the biggest battery. Battery degradation will/and does happen and I wanted to postpone the need to swap out the battery/upgrade the battery to as far in the future as possible.

The difference between the 70 and 85 batteries is significant for a few folks, and pretty much negligible for most. Heck, I've been able to put in 54,321 miles over two years on a car that had an 80-100 mile range.

Sorry, I don't really have an answer for your question. Rarely do we have more than two people in the car and we packed pretty well for the trip.

17. Anthony7

Anthony7 Member

Enjoying your trip reports!

18. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Glad that you are enjoying them. Stay tuned for more. It was a long trip.

19. smilepak

smilepak Member

Awesome. Definitely a well informed thread.

20. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

A day early to our first destination, we took advantage of the day and scheduled a check-up at the Lyndhurst, OH Sales and Service Center. It was a good way to try out an "out of CA" service experience. We also got to drive a 70D today.

So, enjoy today's post.