Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here, There, and EVerywhere... Posting our trip SoCal to East Coast and back...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smilepak. Try putting your trip and data into a trip on evtripplanner.com. After a few road trips in our car, I've found it to be quite accurate. It has settings for weight, temperature, and more importantly speed factor. I'm typically use 1.2 for the speed factor and it works out well on I5.

This thread has been helpful. I am planning to get a Tesla (lease or finance) 70D in the coming month. We tend to go up to NorCal at least a few times a year.

1) From our house to the first SC (Tejon Ranch) on the 5 freeway is approx 125 miles. Which isn't too bad, but the high mountain of the 5 and LA traffic, that might be ok
2) From that first SC to second SC (Harris Ranch) is better only 120 miles.
3) From Harris to Gilroy is 115 miles, cutting through the 152 route.

I suppose we can charge up in Fremont while we are hanging around Silicon Valley. I would think since Tesla factory is there, I would assume more SC around Silicon Valley, but Fremont is the only one ahhah.

Question: I notice you went on a trip with just two ppl. In a car of 4 let day adult and each person one luggage, how much range effect would you think or did you experience any range effect due to added weight?

This whole thread might end up making me give up certain add-on and get the 85D instead ahahha

PCH Route Experience for anyone else who is interested (The highs and lows of driving up Californias Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) in a Tesla Model S | Forums | Tesla Motors)

Today's post is up now...

We took a pause and visited the Cleveland/Akron area and spent time with the family.

Finally got to "visit" the Macedonia, OH Supercharger today.

If you're curious about my "artistic skills" check out the post.

@capt601 is right, @smilepak evtripplanner.com is very helpful to get things planned out. We used it for the initial planning of routes to the East Coast. (the same plan that went out the window when we figured 808 miles was too much to do in Day 1.

@capt601 is right, @smilepak evtripplanner.com is very helpful to get things planned out. We used it for the initial planning of routes to the East Coast. (the same plan that went out the window when we figured 808 miles was too much to do in Day 1.

I still do a spreadsheet for major trips, but now mostly to plan the approximate daily total distance and time, against our overall travel plan (our daily target is 350-450 miles, closer to 350 preferred). Initially the spreadsheet was for range-assurance to make sure I could "get there". That quickly devolved into lessening the time spent at each supercharger -- at each stop I already know how many Rated Miles I want the battery to be at before unplugging (it's the next RM number, plus whatever buffer I feel comfortable with - usually 20-30 miles). Superchargers have made that so darned easy and quick, the car is usually at that planned limit each stop before we're actually ready to go. Amazing.

In case it helps, here's what I use (it's quite possible I'm preaching to the converted and expert - I apologize!). The key daily totals for me are the mileage (km if Canada trip) in bold black and overall time (driving time + stop time) in bold light blue. Many times checking those numbers has significantly altered our ... exuberance. To our benefit. The Rated Miles / Wh/mi numbers are directly from evtripplanner.

TripsEg-Reno.jpg

We haven't been on a long trip since the beta nav and trip planning software has been in our car. It will be interesting to see how that operates. I keep the SpC addresses handy anyway, even though they're built in. Habits, I guess.

AEdennis, is your spare a full size tire on a 19" rim? I am surprised that it fits in the frunk. I do not use the frunk often so a spare is a good idea.

Yup. It was actually the tire that was in my rear driver's side. I had them put the "new" one in the rear driver's side (in the Lyndhurst, OH service center). My regular SoCal service center put it in the rear passenger's side.

Yup. It was actually the tire that was in my rear driver's side. I had them put the "new" one in the rear driver's side (in the Lyndhurst, OH service center). My regular SoCal service center put it in the rear passenger's side.

Dennis. Love reading about your trip, as I was thinking about driving back to Michigan in the fall for a Michigan state game. Unfortunately, it would probably be solo, with Anna flying to Michigan and meeting me there. But I love driving long distances. Just need to figure out how much time I really want to do this in, if I go.

And do know if a 21" wheel will fit in the trunk? Maybe under inflated?

Dennis. Love reading about your trip, as I was thinking about driving back to Michigan in the fall for a Michigan state game. Unfortunately, it would probably be solo, with Anna flying to Michigan and meeting me there. But I love driving long distances. Just need to figure out how much time I really want to do this in, if I go.

And do know if a 21" wheel will fit in the trunk? Maybe under inflated?

Mark,

Not sure if 21s fit. I think one of the other members of the OC group fit one in, "under inflated, as you mention above.

She should join you for that drive. We had fun, as you can tell from the posts.

Day 10 is another travel day.

As we bid farewell to our family visit in the Cleveland/Akron area, we look forward to our drive toward New Jersey, and the East Coast, today.

You know that your in the East, when driving for over four hundred miles means that you've been to at least four states. Also, lessons learned. Carry lots of cash for the trolls... (I meant tolls.)

Last edited:
Great write up, Dennis. Too bad you were not able to sync up with the Tesla owners here in MD for the Reach the Beach and Hagerstown meetup.

How many days in total were you on the road? I am leaving for CA in exactly 3 weeks from today. Will spend a few days in Custer/Rushmore and outside Denver before heading to TMC Connect. Then down to LA before heading back East. As it stands, we are going to be on the road for 22 days. Looks like we will be hitting a lot of the places you had been and your pictures help.

Great write up, Dennis. Too bad you were not able to sync up with the Tesla owners here in MD for the Reach the Beach and Hagerstown meetup.

How many days in total were you on the road? I am leaving for CA in exactly 3 weeks from today. Will spend a few days in Custer/Rushmore and outside Denver before heading to TMC Connect. Then down to LA before heading back East. As it stands, we are going to be on the road for 22 days. Looks like we will be hitting a lot of the places you had been and your pictures help.

eujinc,

Yup, a few of the Tesla Roadtrip guys and I follow each other on Twitter. But that's what happens when the trip through MD is on Mother's Day... We tried again on the swing back to SoCal.

We were out for 23 days. We originally thought we would be out for about two weeks, but the trip was just too much fun. As for traveling to the areas around Rapid City, check out the thread on teslamotors.com/forums on the roads leading to Lusk, WY (FYI: Lusk, WY inaccessible | Forums | Tesla Motors) being washed out with no ETA before making that drive. Not sure if that was picked up on TMC. There's a link to the Wyoming road info website on that post.

Enjoy yourself on your trip. We're planning to see if we can make TMC Connect this year, not sure yet, as the Belgian club is having an event called Tesla World around the time my wife and I are planning to be in Europe anyway. So, lots of things "in the air" right now.

If you want to see my hints as you traverse through, I spent a lot of time on our routes updating the Teslarati App. So, if you have an iOS device, download and run it there. (I tested it on both iPhone 4s and iPad 3.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the situation in Lusk. We will be going by there on 7/5 and will have to keep an eye out on the situation there and plan an alternate route if needed.

Just downloaded the app as well and saw your comments. I will be bookmarking your trip report in my car's browser for references. Good stuff.

I had driven from LA, California to Houston, Texas a few times in the past via the I-10 Corridor.

I am amazed when looked at the map, there is absolutely no charging station pass PHX, Arizona until past San Antonio, TX. That sucks....lol

I had driven from LA, California to Houston, Texas a few times in the past via the I-10 Corridor.

I am amazed when looked at the map, there is absolutely no charging station pass PHX, Arizona until past San Antonio, TX. That sucks....lol

The supercharger team just opened the route on I-70 and it looks like part of I-40 is starting to be completed. Having driven the I-10 from Boston to LA, I have to say that I-10 will take much longer, the two days through Texas is TOUGH.

Shortest drive of the trip today (a drive from Northern New Jersey to Long Island, New York.)

We discovered an issue with the seal around the passenger window and went to the Syosset Sales, Service, and Supercharger Center for a supercharge and service. Boy, they're busy at that location. Perhaps Tesla should open another service center for the area.

I lived in Newark, DE for years prior to moving to Las Vegas in 2012, I'm glad you finally had a chance to sleep there! I'm happy to see a supercharger there as well as a brand new travel plaza which is better than the old one for sure! My car arrives in less than a week, getting excited!