Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here we go again... Model 3 wont power up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3's screen didn't turn on when I got in...but I was able to shift to drive, turn signals, etc...I was even able to control the screen (turn on the AC) by tapping on the AC icon location even though the screen was black. And voice controls worked...I had to reboot for the display to power back on.

I can't begin to tell you how many issues the Chevy Volt had when it rolled out. I got mine about 6 months into deliveries. Numerous issues they had to work through. Ultimately I have had the car for 5 years and it has been WONDERFUL. Best car I have ever owned. Point being these are complex machines. When you design and build one from the ground up there are always going to be issues. We are all early adopters and unfortunately these things are going to happen. They just are. I am encouraged by Tesla's willingness to get it right even though that might take what seems like a significant amount of time. In the end, I think they will iron out all of this and have a damn great product to show for it.

Certainly doesn't eliminate the op's frustration any. I totally get that.

Dan

June 2012 I bought my first electric car, an i Miev , for the same price of a base M3 .
Charging stations were few and far between.
I kept it for 2 years and it was down for 2 months total during those 2 years. with various problems .
The service people were inexperienced & on a huge learning curve.

In 2014 they introduced their improved i Miev with a lower priced (by $6k)
No courtesy car was offered so frustrated with the down time in the service department ,
I decide to trade in the 2012 for a 2014 i Miev and let them figure it out on their time & dime.
I've driven it for more than 90,000 mils (150,000 km) in 3 years 8 months.
through Canadian winters.
Other than regular EV maintenance I've had 1 repair of about $ 450 .
Still on original brakes.

They will work out the early build glitches and I'm sure the M3 will be exceptional.

Well, you’re welcome everyone. I officially win the biggest model 3 lemon contest :p

Service center still can’t figure it out and now the fancy engineers from California are involved.

I’m taking this one for the team. Hopefully it saves a bunch of owners a bunch of headaches later on.

Now excuse me while I ride off into the sunset in my (loaner) P90D :D

Thank you for the update and positive attitude.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the cabin heater (AC compressor is a close second).

Lol but is Honda even reliable anymore? I discovered that the newer CRV turbo engine is having problems with excessive gas getting into the oil AFTER we bought one. Also, lots of battery dying problems on the 2017s. No problems for us yet but we’ve only had it 1.5 months so far.

Had a 12V die on our 2016 Accord suddenly and for no reason. Honda Roadside Service "Tech" (scary-looking freelance fellow in beater car with a battery-charger and near-zero auto knowledge) said that lots of near-new Hondas were having such failures.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Well, you’re welcome everyone. I officially win the biggest model 3 lemon contest :p

Service center still can’t figure it out and now the fancy engineers from California are involved.

I’m taking this one for the team. Hopefully it saves a bunch of owners a bunch of headaches later on.

Now excuse me while I ride off into the sunset in my (loaner) P90D :D
Anything you recommend us to check at delivery?

Even if something like that were happening overnight, the HV battery should still be able to maintain the 12V battery charge.

My car is actually disconnecting the HV battery pack for some unknown reason.

but a nearly continuous unneeded drain like that guarantees that a "not charging the 12v battery issue" will bite you sooner rather than later.

Imagine two cars:

Car A: 12v isn't charging like it should but there is no significant vampire drain. 12v is fine until you drive too many short trips, or leave your headlights on too long in accessory mode or something days, weeks, or months down the road

Car B: 12v isn't charging like it should but there is a continual vampire drain. Car won't last a full night, let alone multiple days, weeks, or months.

It's not the core issue but it makes the core issue worse.

How about this for a theory: the issue you have keeps the 12v from charging until the 12v is low enough that the CPU goes and does things it shouldn't causing the louvers to open and close until the 12v is drained.

What if the louvers video is just a late stage symptom of your issue?

Last edited:
What if the louvers video is just a late stage symptom of your issue?

I think the louvers is some sort of software issue, there is a pump of fan running at low speed behind the bumper and the louvers seem to be opening and closing in a repeated cycle or trying to calibrate for some reason. mine stops after a short period. I only lost 2 miles last night while sitting not plugged in.
I am wondering if the high vampire drain for some is due to the car being woken but the blue tooth all night due to proximity to the garage/parking of the vehicle and the phones. (obviously not the OP's issue) I noticed if my phone was in our kitchen by the garage the car kept making noises on and off. but our room where we sleep is on the other side of the house. I also turned off the walk up feature last night. Key fobs for my MS sure eliminate problems.

Reactions: JeffnReno
I think the louvers is some sort of software issue, there is a pump of fan running at low speed behind the bumper and the louvers seem to be opening and closing in a repeated cycle or trying to calibrate for some reason. mine stops after a short period. I only lost 2 miles last night while sitting not plugged in.
I am wondering if the high vampire drain for some is due to the car being woken but the blue tooth all night due to proximity to the garage/parking of the vehicle and the phones. (obviously not the OP's issue) I noticed if my phone was in our kitchen by the garage the car kept making noises on and off. but our room where we sleep is on the other side of the house. I also turned off the walk up feature last night. Key fobs for my MS sure eliminate problems.

This is a symptom of half-baked engineering --- the phantom touchscreen issues, phone/key issues, cracked pano glass, sunken funk hood, protruding headlights, 12V battery issues, steering assembly issues, etc are more symptoms of the same issue

Last edited:
Non-update, update:

It’s been almost a week since my 12v battery died again. Sadly, Tesla service still can’t figure out what is going on, even with the help of engineering in California.

This Friday will be 30 days since I took delivery. I’ve had the car 7. :(
I think you were meant to have the P90D.;) Seriously though, it must be extremely frustrating for you to be in limbo with the vehicle at this point. Any mention by Tesla what your options are at this point?