Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here we go again... Model 3 wont power up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I ever really posted a final update as I didn't want any posts to get back to those involved - this has been over a year now.

Yes - the car had more issues. I started to get good at fixing it though, lol. I figured out that if I disconnected and reconnected the 12V battery I could basically do a hard reset and make the car drive-able. Also, if I was having issues shifting the car into drive I would toggle tow mode and that would fix it.

Anyway, long story short, Tesla ended up flying two engineers from Fremont out to my service center and they still couldn't figure out what was happening. They ended up taking really good care of me though - I was given a brand new Model S P100D with Ludicrous for three months while they worked on my model 3. And when I say brand new, I mean I literally peeled the plastic off the car with the Service Manager! Obviously I told them to take their time with the Model 3 haha. In the end - the issue could not be consistently reproduced and Tesla asked if they could buy the car from me to take it back to Fremont and strip it down. I really wanted a performance AWD model 3 anyway so I obviously said yes. Tesla let me drive the Model S P100D for another few months until the P3D was in production - even after they repurchased my original model 3.

Many months later I read something about loose grounding bolts in early Model 3's causing issues like this. If I were to guess I think this would explain the intermittent problems I had.

All in all the experience was definitely annoying but I feel like I came out ahead and Tesla really took good care of me. My service manager was amazing, I had his personal cell number and he would call me frequently with updates.

The good news is - not one issue with my new model 3 that I have been driving for almost a year now. Many long road trips and 12,000 miles under my belt.

Best car ever.

I don't think I ever really posted a final update as I didn't want any posts to get back to those involved - this has been over a year now.

Yes - the car had more issues. I started to get good at fixing it though, lol. I figured out that if I disconnected and reconnected the 12V battery I could basically do a hard reset and make the car drive-able. Also, if I was having issues shifting the car into drive I would toggle tow mode and that would fix it.

Anyway, long story short, Tesla ended up flying two engineers from Fremont out to my service center and they still couldn't figure out what was happening. They ended up taking really good care of me though - I was given a brand new Model S P100D with Ludicrous for three months while they worked on my model 3. And when I say brand new, I mean I literally peeled the plastic off the car with the Service Manager! Obviously I told them to take their time with the Model 3 haha. In the end - the issue could not be consistently reproduced and Tesla asked if they could buy the car from me to take it back to Fremont and strip it down. I really wanted a performance AWD model 3 anyway so I obviously said yes. Tesla let me drive the Model S P100D for another few months until the P3D was in production - even after they repurchased my original model 3.

Many months later I read something about loose grounding bolts in early Model 3's causing issues like this. If I were to guess I think this would explain the intermittent problems I had.

All in all the experience was definitely annoying but I feel like I came out ahead and Tesla really took good care of me. My service manager was amazing, I had his personal cell number and he would call me frequently with updates.

The good news is - not one issue with my new model 3 that I have been driving for almost a year now. Many long road trips and 12,000 miles under my belt.

Best car ever.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end.

Best car ever.

wow wonderful service. You should get two fed. tax credits too. since two VINs

Ez to reconnect the 12V battery?

Best car ever.
80K miles to go before you have to replace the belt.
:)