Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's a good performance goal for the Model 3 Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why should a comfortable, spacious family EV sedan that is already the best seller in its segment aim to beat a crammed up bone breaking noisy sports car that might sell a few thousand at most ?

Tesla Model 3's main competition is BMW 3. Model 3 AWD P 's main competition is BMW M3 M5 and other similar performance cars currently selling well in that segment. Quite straightforward I would have thought.

Why should a comfortable, spacious family EV sedan that is already the best seller in its segment aim to beat a crammed up bone breaking noisy sports car that might sell a few thousand at most ?

Tesla Model 3's main competition is BMW 3. Model 3 AWD P 's main competition is BMW M3 M5 and other similar performance cars currently selling well in that segment. Quite straightforward I would have thought.

I hope they uncork the performance model to beat an M5... that would settle my doubts and fears of my upcoming car.

Reactions: preilly44 and JeffK
I'm going to try it, a good reaction time and I should be able to beat a moderate driver in the ZR1...

2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 First Test: Out With a Bang

I just saw this article on the 2019 ZR1 Corvette. I think Tesla can tune the Model 3 to beat this 0-60 and quarter mile time while staying just a bit slower than the Model S P100D Ludicrous (to enhance corporate profits and not take sales from the S), and for a lower price than the new Corvette.

Reactions: gavine
Model 3 is gonna be faster than the S just from physics - it weighs less - all other things being equal.

It HAS to be limited though to not cannibalize the Model S.

310 Range is fake. It's like 330. 330 is just way too much compared to a 100D Model S.

Reactions: hoang51
It only has to be limited compared to P100D ... I'm cool if it's slightly slower than 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. :p

Something like 3/4 of my disagree votes are from non-Tesla owners. The last 1/4 is pretty much butt-hurt Model S owners didn't like hearing the Model S 75D is junk value compared to the LR Model 3.

But S is better than the 3 in 20 different things!

Sooo.. the Model 3 LR is better than the S in 60 different things and wait for it.....

half the price.

A lot of people would be happier with a P Model 3 vs the base S - unless you actually had to seat 7 people.

Reactions: JeffK
There's a model to beat an M5... it's called Model S P100DL.

Only in 0-60... M5 still spanks the P100D it in most every other performance metric. My comment was a response to a previous comment comparing the performance model to an M3 and M5... of course I know he M5 outclasses any model 3. The Performance 3 is the only chassis Tesla currently produces that has a chance at completing a hot lap at the track... so they should set their sights higher than the outgoing M3 IMHO.

Reactions: JeffK
Only in 0-60... M5 still spanks the P100D it in most every other performance metric. My comment was a response to a previous comment comparing the performance model to an M3 and M5... of course I know he M5 outclasses any model 3. The Performance 3 is the only chassis Tesla currently produces that has a chance at completing a hot lap at the track... so they should set their sights higher than the outgoing M3 IMHO.

Technically speaking Performance Model 3 doesn't really have to outclass M3 or M5 in every metric. Five to ten years from now I predict Tesla will grab 95% or more of that market specifically the performance minded buyer who doesn't have the time or the desire to bother about how track worthy a car is. The remaining 5% - well they can join the elite group of like minded enthusiasts who enjoy finer details of particular technologies. There several such fan clubs around here who spend their weekends around stream locomotives. The revolution is happening.

Technically speaking Performance Model 3 doesn't really have to outclass M3 or M5 in every metric. Five to ten years from now I predict Tesla will grab 95% or more of that market specifically the performance minded buyer who doesn't have the time or the desire to bother about how track worthy a car is. The remaining 5% - well they can join the elite group of like minded enthusiasts who enjoy finer details of particular technologies. There several such fan clubs around here who spend their weekends around stream locomotives. The revolution is happening.

Tesla will only grab 95% by being better.