Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Here's a tip for charging in parking garages

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
This came in handy for me a few weeks ago. I don't work in the city anymore, so I'm never in a parking garage. But a few weeks ago I had occasion to be in town, at a garage with no dedicated EV charging.

I needed to get something for the ridiculous $14 the parking garage was going to charge me for all day, so I planned ahead. I took my Tesla supplied charge connector with me, with my 5-15 and 5-20 adapters.

Once in the garage, I began driving slowly and looking around. Really looking. Most garages don't have EV charging, but they still have lights. And on some of the roof support posts, they have 5-15 or 5-20 power outlets!

So I tried to find a spot on an upper level, where fewer cars would be parked or driving by my car. Fewer eyes to see and fewer people to ask questions. Then once on an upper level, I tried to park off in the back. Again, less eyes and opportunities for questions.

Then I was able to plug into a 5-20 and get 6 mph charging (it was only giving 108 volts) for the whole time I was in town. Not a lot, but something for my parking ticket fee!

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a piece of tape over the blinking green lights on the Tesla charge connector. Attracts less attention that way. If I were working in town regularly and parking at the same place all the time, I'd check in with the garage manager, but for one-off occasional use this can work.

I'll have to make this into a video for people to see online!

Last edited:
This came in handy for me a few weeks ago. I don't work in the city anymore, so I'm never in a parking garage. But a few weeks ago I had occasion to be in town, at a garage with no dedicated EV charging.

I needed to get something for the ridiculous $14 the parking garage was going to charge me for all day, so I planned ahead. I took my Tesla supplied charge connector with me, with my 5-15 and 5-20 adapters.

Once in the garage, I began driving slowly and looking around. Really looking. Most garages don't have EV charging, but they still have lights. And on some of the roof support posts, they have 5-15 or 5-20 power outlets!

So I tried to find a spot on an upper level, where fewer cars would be parked or driving by my car. Fewer eyes to see and fewer people to ask questions. Then once on an upper level, I tried to park off in the back. Again, less eyes and opportunities for questions.

Then I was able to plug into a 5-20 and get 6 mph charging (it was only giving 108 volts) for the whole time I was in town. Not a lot, but something for my parking ticket fee!

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a piece of tape over the blinking green lights on the Tesla charge connector. Attracts less attention that way. If I were working in town regularly and parking at the same place all the time, I'd check in with the garage manager, but for one-off occasional use this can work.

I'll have to make this into a video for people to see online!

Keep in mind that if you charge off a random NEMA 5-15/20 socket, the owner of the lot may not like it and you might get into trouble.

Be Careful parking at Logan-Got a ticket

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
In other words, stealing

I'm reminded of the news story I saw where a homeless man was charged with stealing after plugging his cellphone into a regular 5-15 outlet on the exterior wall of a downtown store. He probably took about $0.01 worth of electricity but, hey, he was homeless. In our mixed up society the police would probably feel obligated to give a Tesla owner a warning rather than charge them. The homeless man got no second chance.o_O

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
And if you simply ask, most folks are okay.

$14 for a garage? That's pretty cheap for many cities.
Of course it doesn't matter what the cost is since it does not include amenities like electricity. The OP obviously went to great lengths to cover their nefarious/illegal behavior. Also they knew they were stealing (or why hide). Using the same "..I needed to get something for the ridiculous xxx.." it is also obvious what an entitled person they are.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
And if you simply ask, most folks are okay.

$14 for a garage? That's pretty cheap for many cities.

When I was working in town, most garages were $12 to $24 per day, depending on which one it was. There are also parking lots at $7 and $10 a day, then a free train ride into one part of downtown, but those are big open air lots with no power in them.

So there's always something to confound my plans.

I should have made it clear before - it's not that I need to charge at work, I have 2 good charging setups at home. It's about getting something for nothing. That can be far more satisfying.:cool: But being as it is the job, I must restrain myself a bit. I've math'd it out, and a 12 hour shift times 1.92 Kw per hour (5-20), times an industrial power rate of probably 3-4 cents per KW = 69 to 92 cents per day. Not a day goes by that I don't want to charge at work, but for less than $1 of power per day, it's not worth the risk. Even if the manager himself doesn't see it, you never know who will see it and send an email to ask if it's okay. I don't want to get called into the office to answer that question, especially after I already asked and was told no. If I hadn't asked, I could plead ignorance, but I know, and he knows I know, and I know he knows I know....... this causes stress in my mind. But anywhere else is fair game.

Any parking garage that doesn't have EV charging spots, they should have them now. Their owners are too cheap and too greedy if they don't have them.

Last edited:

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
The garage where I park on weekdays has a policy of unplugging any EVs they find plugged in in the garage.The owner is convinced he'd be financially ruined if EVs plugged in (on a typical day I see at most one EV in the garage and usually none).

Would he be receptive to you offering a couple of bucks for the electricity? Such an offer might be what it takes to get him to start thinking differently about electric vehicles. Perhaps he could even add a surcharge for monthly parkers and install more outlets or even charging stations.

Surprised so many disagrees when he paid $14 and “stole” (according to some) a whopping $0.17/hr of power (108 V x 16 A continuous x $0.10/kWh).

Reminds me of a funny story on the news this morning. Lady went to Walmart bakery stand and picked up a cake. Ate half of it while wandering around shopping. Got mad at the checkout because she only wanted to pay for half a cake. Offered to pay when po-po showed up. Now, she's kicked out of Walmart for life.

So (riffing off of your question above) how much groceries do you have to pay for to be able to eat some food for free while you're shopping? :)

What if the lot is perfectly fine with EVs L1 charging? For $0.17/hr they get your parking money instead of another lot without plugs.

He said he asked and they said no ...

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Runt8 and duanra

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Surprised so many disagrees when he paid $14 and “stole” (according to some) a whopping $0.17/hr of power (108 V x 16 A continuous x $0.10/kWh).

What if the lot is perfectly fine with EVs L1 charging? For $0.17/hr they get your parking money instead of another lot without plugs.
I came home one day and found a contractor to a house next door was plugged into my front outlet stealing my power. I was livid and demanded he pay me $5. I said how would you feel if you came up and I was siphoning gas from your truck. It is NOT about the amount but the principal. Robbing a bank of only $5 is NOT OK because it is a small amount or the bank is so big or the fees are too high. You CAN'T justify ANY theft since it is a slippery slope as to what is then OK after you say a certain amount is OK. Stealing IS stealing, plan and simple. This way you don't have to "decide' if it is OK for YOUR morals.

darth_vad3r

Well-Known Sith
May 6, 2019
Canada
I came home one day and found a contractor to a house next door was plugged into my front outlet stealing my power. I was livid and demanded he pay me $5. I said how would you feel if you came up and I was siphoning gas from your truck. It is NOT about the amount but the principal. Robbing a bank of only $5 is NOT OK because it is a small amount or the bank is so big or the fees are too high. You CAN'T justify ANY theft since it is a slippery slope as to what is then OK after you say a certain amount is OK. Stealing IS stealing, plan and simple. This way you don't have to "decide' if it is OK for YOUR morals.

We don’t know if OP was stealing unless we hear from the parking lot operator that they do not allow EV L1 charging.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
We don’t know if OP was stealing unless we hear from the parking lot operator that they do not allow EV L1 charging.
The OP sure thought he was stealing. READ the OP and see the extreme nefarious actions takin to cover up and hide the crime. If it is not posted then you don't take other peoples stuff just because it MIGHT be OK.

In my example had I been home and the contractor asked me to plug in I would have said yes but sneaking it while I was not home was big WRONG. Same with the OP.

darth_vad3r

Well-Known Sith
May 6, 2019
Canada
The OP sure thought he was stealing. READ the OP and see the extreme nefarious actions takin to cover up and hide the crime. If it is not posted then you don't take other peoples stuff just because it MIGHT be OK.

In my example had I been home and the contractor asked me to plug in I would have said yes but sneaking it while I was not home was big WRONG. Same with the OP.

I still maintain what I wrote. Doesn’t matter if OP acted sneaky or nefarious or thought he was stealing. It’s not stealing if parking lot allows L1 charging.

If I act sneaky while drinking from a public water fountain is that stealing?

darth_vad3r

Well-Known Sith
May 6, 2019
Canada
Reminds me of a funny story on the news this morning. Lady went to Walmart bakery stand and picked up a cake. Ate half of it while wandering around shopping. Got mad at the checkout because she only wanted to pay for half a cake. Offered to pay when po-po showed up. Now, she's kicked out of Walmart for life.

So (riffing off of your question above) how much groceries do you have to pay for to be able to eat some food for free while you're shopping? :)

If you take something with a price tag on it (or on the shelf), it’s stealing. If you take something that’s not labeled for sale, and it was a sample, it’s not stealing. If it was for sale but just not labeled, that IS stealing but mislabeled.

OP’s case is not open and shut until parking lot policy is presented as evidence.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC