Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's a tip for charging in parking garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to make a video of this technique for my youtube channel on Tuesday. I will film it at this same garage, and after I'm done filming, I will go to the automated parking ticket payment machines and see if there's a phone number to call. There should be. Then I will call it, ask them if it's cool, then I'll report my findings here. Or if there is a live attendant, I will ask them, although they probably won't have a clue. Maybe that'll make some people happy.

Good, but I think the larger point is, that should make you happy. I don't think its in our interests to have the ev community tagged as folks who run around trying to cop free electrons at someone else expense and without their permission. If I was still running a business I would certainly let you if asked, or think of some nominal fee to recapture legitimate costs, perhaps even advertise a $1.00 add on for charging while you park.

I went down to that same garage yesterday and did the video recording. Strange thing, I could not find the exact spot I was in before. Anyway, I called to the guard station to ask the question that's on everyones mind, and the answer I got about using the outlets for EVs was "I don't know" coming from some guard who sounded like your typical early 20's, drugged out loser who partied his way through high school, barely graduated, and is pretty much useless. Video editing and YT release to come in a few days.....

Reactions: Dr. J
I'm not busy at work today, and the early shift people left, so I had brought the parking garage video in on a flash drive and I watched all of it. I can make a video from what I have.

And for all the people who disagree with me, I have the solution. A disclaimer. A bit of text on the screen early in the video. Disclaimers make everything ok. "This is for demonstration purposes only, get permission first". And then whatever I do after that is fine. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
Any parking garage that doesn't have EV charging spots, they should have them now. Their owners are too cheap and too greedy if they don't have them.
I would say too stupid to realize what a competitive advantage it would be offer charging, free or not.

f I act sneaky while drinking from a public water fountain is that stealing?
No, that's just weird. :D

I still maintain what I wrote. Doesn’t matter if OP acted sneaky or nefarious or thought he was stealing. It’s not stealing if parking lot allows L1 charging.

If I act sneaky while drinking from a public water fountain is that stealing?
Public water fountain is a public place to drink water. The garage clearly did not have EV charging and the OP even mentioned taping over the lights to avoid attention. I agree that it’s stealing. The garage has no obligation to provide EV charging, just as they don’t provide gasoline.

Public water fountain is a public place to drink water. The garage clearly did not have EV charging and the OP even mentioned taping over the lights to avoid attention. I agree that it’s stealing. The garage has no obligation to provide EV charging, just as they don’t provide gasoline.

Oh, did you contact the garage owner to confirm that? Maybe the garage owner welcomes the extra business from L1 chargers that may otherwise park elsewhere. That would be my stance as a parking garage owner.

ps. Hiding your charging is also good for avoiding theft or vandalism of your UMC.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D

Here it is! I was off work today, so I did all the editing, I cut 31 minutes of video down to just under 8 minutes. During editing, I had a real problem, I had a good scene mid-video, and a Glengarry Glen Ross-style (although not intentional) ending shot that kind of said the same thing. After about a half hour of debate, I cut the ending and left the middle alone. Saved you from 45 extra seconds of seeing me.:rolleyes:

Maybe some of you shouldn't watch this video, we've got some real tight a$$es around here who are too eager to jump to conclusions and disagree with me. If any psychoanalysts are watching, maybe you should have a few drinks first.:eek:

Spread word of this far and wide, I'm looking for that million-view video that gets attention! And don't be afraid to like, comment, and subscribe!

And yes, I did include a disclaimer to make it all ok, a whole 4 seconds of disclaimer.:cool:

I just made and added two more Tesla videos to my YT channel this evening. One is about the user interface and some changes that would make it a lot better.

I've got to say, I'm disappointed in how my very informative parking garage video hasn't had many views on YT or comments either here or there. Lots of good info there if you pay attention and aren't afraid to embrace the apparently unpopular opinion.

While web surfing and watching YouTube at work today (weekend shift), I came across this story, and even I had to say :eek:"WOW".:eek: Even I don't have balls this big! If I found myself in this predicament I would knock on the door and offer some money. But my bigger problem would be that I don't carry my charge connector cable in regular day-to-day driving, so there's nothing to plug in with.

https://jalopnik.com/entitled-tesla-jackass-parks-on-strangers-lawn-steals-1836730035

At least in my parking garage video, money is being exchanged, although not necessarily for the intended purposes!

For those who haven't seen the controversy yet, the link is a few posts above here in post #51.

While web surfing and watching YouTube at work today (weekend shift), I came across this story, and even I had to say :eek:"WOW".:eek: Even I don't have balls this big! If I found myself in this predicament I would knock on the door and offer some money. But my bigger problem would be that I don't carry my charge connector cable in regular day-to-day driving, so there's nothing to plug in with.

https://jalopnik.com/entitled-tesla-jackass-parks-on-strangers-lawn-steals-1836730035

At least in my parking garage video, money is being exchanged, although not necessarily for the intended purposes!

For those who haven't seen the controversy yet, the link is a few posts above here in post #51.

In both cases it’s stealing. This thread should be closed. I mean, what’s the difference between what you’re doing and say - going to a restaurant, paying for an entree but then stealing some drinks from the kitchen? I mean, since you’re paying so much for that steak, and the drink bottles are just sitting there, why not?

Unless something in this thread indicates otherwise (I can’t bring myself to read anymore of it), what you’re doing is theft, and is illegal. Cannot believe some people are doubling down on this behavior as acceptable.

Last edited:
In both cases it’s stealing. This thread should be closed. I mean, what’s the difference between what you’re doing and say - going to a restaurant, paying for an entree but then stealing some drinks from the kitchen?

Unless something in this thread indicates otherwise (I can’t bring myself to read anymore of it), what you’re doing is theft, and is illegal.

My "tight-ass alarm" is going off.....o_O
The above post isn't about me, it's about someone even crazier than me, pushing things too far.