Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's hoping that the July 28 event will be a complete reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The suspension has to be able to handle the additional tongue weight of the trailer and the brakes have to handle the additional weight.

Except at low speeds regen should provide abundant braking power. And tongue weight is only supposed to be like 10% of the loaded trailer weight, so 2 tonnes should be like having three adults in the back seat. Of course, if you load it top heavy and then brake hard....

Understandable though to limit tow capability if they want to limit rear suspension mass.

Reactions: EValuatED
There's no way Tesla mentions the Y at either the 3 event or the Semi-truck event. It would be utterly insane to talk about a directly competing product that's due in 2019.
True. That would be even crazier than spending the last three or four months trumpeting the advantages of Model S over little brother Model 3 just as Model 3 comes to market. Huge numbers of Model 3 reservations would cancel...or at least that would be the hope of the hundreds of thousands of reservations made weeks or months after the inital reveal on 3/31/16.

Last edited:
I know Tesla is trying to drum up interest.....

Sorry to call you out personally, but I see this mentality a lot, and it deserves a rebuttal.

Do you really 'know' what Tesla is doing? Since their founding they have spent a grand total of $0 on advertising, and literally have had to anti-sell the Model 3. As if any details revealed (or lack thereof) on Friday would actually materially change the reservation number? Doesn't seem reasonable.

In fact, i'd bet the primary reason for the Friday event is that Elon wants a celebration for the employees and referral award winners, and because he likes to party at a late hour.

Reactions: Runt8
What are you thinking of specifically?
Suspension, chassis structure, brakes, consideration of extra stress on the drivetrain, increased cooling requirement, vehicle dynamics of the vehicle/trailer combination, and proper weight distribution between the vehicle and trailer are just some off the top of my head. Probably more that I can't think of.

Yes, it will have plenty of power and torque but that is but just one small piece of the overall puzzle.

Reactions: DR61
Sorry to call you out personally, but I see this mentality a lot, and it deserves a rebuttal.

Do you really 'know' what Tesla is doing? Since their founding they have spent a grand total of $0 on advertising, and literally have had to anti-sell the Model 3. As if any details revealed (or lack thereof) on Friday would actually materially change the reservation number? Doesn't seem reasonable.

In fact, i'd bet the primary reason for the Friday event is that Elon wants a celebration for the employees and referral award winners, and because he likes to party at a late hour.

No need to apologize as we are all entitled to our opinions.

IMHO, for a publicly listed technology company, especially for one with such a high EBITDA (maybe it's even negative) and P/E (negative), excitement around the limited product line is quite important. Zero dollars spend on advertising the M3 is great but spending wisely on advertising dollars resulting in significant positive cash flow is even better in my books.

To be quite honest, if Toyota or Honda came out with a 200 mile BEV with AWD by next June, I may actually forego my Tesla Model 3 reservation. I am glad Tesla came about because without it, other car makers will not have committed to BEVs.

But once other makers start coming up with their BEV offering, I'm not so sure if another Tesla BEV is going to excite me because I'm buying a BEV for practicality not to show up its acceleration prowess. As I've said before, I don't mind 0-60 in 7 seconds if repair and maintenance cost after the warranty period will not be a great unknown.

And I would bet my bottom dollar that many of those Model S and X owners would easily jump ship back to their favorite car makers once these start introducing BEVs. Competition is great for consumers. And EM should not rest on his laurel because once other makers start cranking production up or if newer battery technology is employed , it will just be like the ICE vehicle industry -- cut throat and the weakest makers will be marginalized.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman
Do you really 'know' what Tesla is doing? Since their founding they have spent a grand total of $0 on advertising, and literally have had to anti-sell the Model 3....

Advertising comes in lots of different forms. They sure have a lot of videos on Youtube (Tesla) and on their website. I imagine those weren't done for free. Same goes for Tesla stores in malls where its tough to test drive and take delivery. Seem to be more focused on in person advertising of the product. Then, there's this whole deal: Tesla To Go On U.S. Roadshow With Airstream Design Studio News @ Top Speed

Lets hope the July 28th thing is a full reveal. Be nice to know when an early reservation holder could get the vehicle they want (particularly for big battery and AWD).

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I hope they reveal the mythical towing capacity...
I don't care about the towing capacity — I just want to know the cost of the towing package (and I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was announced on Friday, don't expect that).

I would want the hitch for a hitch-mount bike rack since the car is almost certainly too small for my rather large mountain bike (without the hassle of major disassembly). Other use might be a small utility trailer of no significant weight.

There's no way Tesla mentions the Y at either the 3 event or the Semi-truck event. It would be utterly insane to talk about a directly competing product that's due in 2019.
meh I could see this and I wouldn't say it's a competing product necessarily, especially if it just makes an appearance like the Model 3 that appeared at the solar roof launch.

Are you thinking of Faraday's FF91 fail at CES or LeEco LeSEE on the runway? I think Lucid has been pretty good with their demos.
Sorry. Brain fail. Will try to edit post.
Update: Done.

Also: I really hope Lucid "makes it" far enough to "out-volume" the Tesla Roadster. I'm not optimistic they'll catch up to S or X, but at least reaching Roadster volume makes them more than a footnote (IMO).

Last edited:

Its also a middle finger to the experts that said that he couldn't deliver a car on time and people shorting the stock.