Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's hoping that the July 28 event will be a complete reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having recently watched Lucid Faraday's version of that demo, I hope he doesn't.

For context, it's around the 30 second mark:
That exact scenario flashed through my mind when I read the post you quoted. :D

However, I don't think we need to worry about the Model 3 being "shy" or getting stage fright in the glare of the limelight on Friday. It's been the subject of tabloid-like stories, the fodder of conspiracy theorists, called out in tweetstorms, disparaged even by its own family, criticized/lauded for getting a nose job, and chased and fawned over by paparazzi across the country. :)

Its also a middle finger to the experts that said that he couldn't deliver a car on time and people shorting the stock.

This. Count me among those that expected a Model X style rollout of a half dozen units several months from now with no more deliveries for another few months after that. It appears I'm wrong on the first, and we'll see how quickly they can get a steady delivery rate.

No amount of advertising is going to result in positive cashflow when they are selling every vehicle they are able to produce.

Well, there's the $1k deposit for every additional reservation. Cash flow is cash flow.

There's no alternative at the moment with an AWD offering (which is why I'm leaning towards ordering the M3) and it seems it's hard to order BEVs (like the Bolt) at dealerships here in Canada when they have excess inventory in there in the States. I doubt the Leaf 2.0 will have AWD but the Hyundai/Kia SUV BEVs could very well offer AWD but who knows if they will arrive in time for the government incentives/rebates.

Give it some time and once competition offers AWD and decent driving range, it won't be as easy for Tesla to cut corners like offering a 15" iPad Pro. The SCN is never a competitive advantage except for those who bought S'es and X'es and have lifetime free charging.

We can love the product when there's no competition but not love (or hate) the stock (until it's almost a proven money making machine). That's the beauty of being human beings -- we are entitled to varying opinions and can still be respectful to each other.

Last edited:
The SCN is never a competitive advantage except for those who bought S'es and X'es and have lifetime free charging.

Uhh. What? It's probably the biggest advantage they have. Who cares if you have to pay or not. It's not like Chevy has a chain of gas stations where you can fill up for free. You still have to pay for gas, but the stations are everywhere. Tesla is the only company putting serious money into a high speed network that can get you almost anywhere in the country.

The SCN is never a competitive advantage except for those who bought S'es and X'es and have lifetime free charging.

The issue is the ability to fast charge when you travel so you don't also need to own an ICE if you want to go on road trips. This is a huge advantage for Tesla over all other EV makers -- and paying for supercharging does nothing to change that. If anything, it will keep them more open for travellers.

Having travelled before there was one supercharger in Canada, and relying on public chargers, I can tell you I will never look at another EV maker until they also have banks of maintained fast chargers all over the place like Tesla. Given that no other automaker has even pulled one permit, that's probably many years off.

Uhh. What? It's probably the biggest advantage they have. Who cares if you have to pay or not. It's not like Chevy has a chain of gas stations where you can fill up for free. You still have to pay for gas, but the stations are everywhere. Tesla is the only company putting serious money into a high speed network that can get you almost anywhere in the country.

Biggest gas stations plan to put in charging stations:
Shell says it will start installing electric vehicle chargers at its gas stations this year

The issue is the ability to fast charge when you travel so you don't also need to own an ICE if you want to go on road trips. This is a huge advantage for Tesla over all other EV makers -- and paying for supercharging does nothing to change that. If anything, it will keep them more open for travellers.

Having travelled before there was one supercharger in Canada, and relying on public chargers, I can tell you I will never look at another EV maker until they also have banks of maintained fast chargers all over the place like Tesla. Given that no other automaker has even pulled one permit, that's probably many years off.

So CCS and Chargepoint are slow chargers? Haven't really looked into those as I am not the cross country driving type.
Network Overview

If the cost is twice what I pay for nighttime electricity, I might as well go with a hybrid that will cost about the same to run for these long distance travel in the States.

Reactions: Lunarx
So CCS and Chargepoint are slow chargers? Haven't really looked into those as I am not the cross country driving type.
Network Overview

If the cost is twice what I pay for nighttime electricity, I might as well go with a hybrid that will cost about the same to run for these long distance travel in the States.
Sounds like you should just get a Prius. I hear they have their own forums too.

Reactions: boofagle
Network Overview

They're fast chargers. Not as fast as superchargers but fast. The problem is that if I'm going to head down to California, for example, I have to keep my fingers crossed that the one or two available here and there are vacant and in working order, or I can go to banks of vacant and working superchargers.

There's just no going back for me.

If the cost is twice what I pay for nighttime electricity, I might as well go with a hybrid that will cost about the same to run.

It goes beyond just the price of fuel. It's so nice not having to go to a gas station and the driving experience is way better, to mention a couple.

Last edited:
They're fast chargers. Not as fast as superchargers but fast. The problem is that if I'm going to head down to California, for example, I have to keep my fingers crossed that the one or two available here and there are vacant and in working order, or I can go to banks of vacant and working superchargers.

There's just no going back for me.

It goes beyond just the price of fuel. It's so nice not having to go to a gas station and the driving experience is way better, to mention a couple.

Thanks for the info. At least you don't ridicule people who take a different approach/analysis to BEV ownership. My next one will be a BEV but not getting rid of the ICE vehicles we have (until it is practical to have another SUV BEV to replace our hybrid RAV4) and because resale value for our Accord isn't much and we would like to stick to three vehicles for three drivers.

Thanks for the info. At least you don't ridicule people who take a different approach/analysis to BEV ownership. My next one will be a BEV but not getting rid of the ICE vehicles we have (until it is practical to have another SUV BEV to replace our hybrid RAV4) and because resale value for our Accord isn't much and we would like to stick to three vehicles for three drivers.

I have a Tahoe hybrid to get to my cabin in the winter and to tow my boat. My wife has a BMW. She goes down south for our kids' competitions, and she finds supercharging on trips with me annoying, plus she often comes back late at night and I wouldn't want her at a supercharger station with my daughter alone so it won't work for her. My wife does drive our Leaf a lot around town, as do my kids, and it will be replaced with the 3.

I'm looking forward to the reveal on Friday and hopefully we get info on when the dual motor and P versions will be made -- (to bring this thread back on topic).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. At least you don't ridicule people who take a different approach/analysis to BEV ownership.
You’re being “ridiculed” (not the word I would use) because you think that the supercharger network isn’t a competitive advantage if you have to pay to use it. That’s an absurd position to take.

You’re being “ridiculed” (not the word I would use) because you think that the supercharger network isn’t a competitive advantage if you have to pay to use it. That’s an absurd position to take.
I think the same as you but internalaudit clarified that he was comparing EV+SCN to ICE+petrol_stations.

If the latter are no more expensive per mile than EV and more convenient then the SCN is not a competitive advantage in the EV vs ICE wars. Or so the reasoning goes. The flaw in the ointment is apparent though: it is predicated on keeping an ICE for these minority of SCN enabled trips.

F that. I have better uses for my money than to house and water an ICE year round.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Lunarx

Give him a break. It's a new technology and I can see why he may have made that assumption. Once he was told about the error in his position, he understood. It's better to explain than ridicule. We don't want to doom him to a life of driving a Prius... ;)

• Love
Reactions: EchoDelta and GSP
A competitive advantage means something the competition (charging consortiums) doesn't have. Like what others mentioned, at least the SCN charges faster so there is a distinct advantage.

The number will have to grow exponentially to cover all your M3's and hopefully some of the Tesla owners become more courteous and not hog them.
Tesla is doubling the number of Supercharger locations in North America

Back to the OPS initial question. If Tesla releases an actual spec sheet at the reveal I will be somewhat surprised since they didn't do this for either the S or X until well after the reveal.
Lets hope this time they provide the information right away, that would be nice.

Reactions: internalaudit