Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's hoping that the July 28 event will be a complete reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The number will have to grow exponentially to cover all your M3's and hopefully some of the Tesla owners become more courteous and not hog them.
Tesla is doubling the number of Supercharger locations in North America

Strange that we haven't seen more of an uptick yet, though:

This graph makes me very happy!

Hopefully we will soon. Honestly, I think it just comes down to how much they're investing in their production lines. Because they're going to keep their supercharger production lines running at capacity regardless, and they're going to install every charger that they make regardless. A linear slope, to me, says little new investment in supercharger production.

Not new, we've been covering it here:

[Speculation] Model 3 0.237 kwh/mile!

And it's an irresponsibly written article. The leak says nothing about range, just energy consumption; the rest is electrek's speculation based on their speculative pack size figures.

I don't think it was intentional on Electrek's part. Fred is usually pretty good. But he's also a fan, like us, and he's travelling out there for the party.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
To stay awake or not to stay awake.... that is the question....

Maybe I'll just go to sleep on the couch with the laptop next to me, and set an alarm ;)
Then you have another question... Do you set it for a few minutes before the presentation or do you set it to Elon standard time?

Although, I think they are trying to make punctuality a theme for Model 3 related stuff.

IMO, as long as they release the manual online, I'll be happy. I'll pour over that for a few weeks.

But, ugh, I hope it's not like the shareholders meeting where they don't have anything prepared and just request questions.

IMO, as long as they release the manual online, I'll be happy. I'll pour over that for a few weeks.

But, ugh, I hope it's not like the shareholders meeting where they don't have anything prepared and just request questions.

No......I think Elon fully understands what tonight means. This is their biggest moment yet. Tesla's have been seen with camera mounts on them all around CA in the last few days, presumably filming promotional spots/taking photos.....

The picture of the stage setup Elon posted on Instagram also suggested that this will be more than a shareholders' meeting. This is the proverbial Big One.............

Reactions: ikjadoon
Since these cars are to be delivered to customers, they should have Monroney stickers showing options prices, EPA certified range, etc.

I'd change that to EPA declared range. The EPA doesn't certify range or efficiency for most cars.

How Vehicles Are Tested

Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 15%–20% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.

Which Vehicles Are Tested

Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and dhrivnak
Showstopper^2: A pair of Tesla Semis autonomously delivers the cars.

MetaShowstopper: ... and the semis are towed by a model 3. Y'know - "I put a tesla tow on a tesla tow, so you can tow your tesla while it tows your tesla." and all that
Showstopper^3 ...They emerge from a tunnel
Showstopper^4 ...On a lift
Showstopper^678 ...Livestreamed from mars.

Today is 'expectation management day' , right?

Might be nice to see some more info on the Supercharger V3 (although I think it's too optimistic to hope for Tesla to unveil new planned supercharger stations so soon after the last announcement, unfortunately :( ). Seems to me that V3 would not only improve max charging rates / allow for charging "Semi", but would improve the economics of superchargers (even though it'll be more expensive). They'll get their power cheaper if they're buffering it like V3 does (a lot cheaper), and you could feed a higher maximum number of vehicles per charger, meaning a more steady average number of connected vehicles, and thus better utilization and less frequent throttling.

I'd change that to EPA declared range. The EPA doesn't certify range or efficiency for most cars.

How Vehicles Are Tested

Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 15%–20% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.

Which Vehicles Are Tested

Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine.

Actually, for electric vehicles, the EPA does "confirmatory testing" on 100% of the models released?

3. EPA Confirmatory testing - Currently, EPA performs confirmatory testing on all new light-duty electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles at EPA's emission testing laboratory in Ann Arbor Michigan. If the manufacturer makes changes to an EV or PHEV that was previously tested at EPA, EPA will decide on a case-by-case basis whether additional EPA confirmatory testing is needed.

Meaning, for ICE it's often just manufacturer testing (85% of the time). But for EVs, it's always manufacturer testing and EPA confirmatory testing?

EDIT: And this might be why the 100D was delayed, right, this additional confirmatory testing?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and DR61
Half of the presentation tonight will be people yelling Go Elon! Yea Elon! You da man Elon!

Oh dear Þór... I hope the questions aren't as terrible as when he announced his Mars / ITS plans.... I can just picture it now, someone standing up and taking two minutes to spit out a question like:

"If I'm in a model 3, driving down I-80 and I need to go to the bathroom.... because, like, I've been eating too much fiber, and you know what fiber's like... and I don't want to go in the car, because that would be gross. You know? .... So if I need to go to the bathroom.... and I mean, really bad, fiber-bad.... it's like.... where could I stop on I-80? Would it cause a problem that I'm in a Model 3?"

Actually, for electric vehicles, the EPA does "confirmatory testing" on 100% of the models released?

Meaning, for ICE it's often just manufacturer testing (85% of the time). But for EVs, it's always manufacturer testing and EPA confirmatory testing?

EDIT: And this might be why the 100D was delayed, right, this additional confirmatory testing?

I don't know for sure if that is true or not. I would say even if they do now the fact that they have traditionally done so little testing on ICE cars will mean that as EVs become more common that percentage will drop in line with ICE testing.

From prior reading I get the impression that they get signatory approval before you can slap the "EPA MPG" or "EPA Range" on the sticker but it's up to them if they test your vehicle or not.

And 100% of what. There are dozens of configs of Tesla Model S and in reality they should have dozens of EPA ranges but if you go look less than half the Tesla configs have the unique EPA range they should. In some cases Tesla has had a modification out and in production with a provisional Monroney sticker and an asterisks on the web site with that number provided from the prior version and updated later. Literally customers get sent a revised Monroney sticker.

I think under the strictest math you would say they approved ratings for half the Model S configs between 2012 and now. I'd expect similar grouping to apply to Model 3. They'll get one or two configs tested and everything that goes out for a year or two will share the same "epa ranges" but in reality there will be various ranges depending on your actual config.

No matter what the websites say I wouldn't bet my life on it that a physical car made it for testing before the first delivery with no significant differences vs the cars delivered. The phrase "its close enough for government work" applies.

Reactions: ikjadoon