Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's what I believe happened to the SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In early January, Tesla released the standard range. It's a very competitive offering for those who have shorter commutes. I believe it started to receive a lot of orders. But then early February, the New Green Act bill was announced. Everyone buying SR are doing it because it's a cheaper option and a great value. So now if they delay they could now get an even better value and save almost 20% by delaying their order so most people delayed. Tesla then decides to lower the price to try and get people to keep their orders but I don't think many were persuaded. Now, Tesla has many SR in stock and demand is down across the board so they decide to remove ordering for it. Why else would they have built so many of them that they now have in inventory? Also, Tesla probably didn't have good margins on them and they canabolized the LR sales too.

can't you order off menu? Similar thing happened with SR 3

My SA says green bill is just a rumor (trying to get me to buy the 2 in inventory) I'm in no rush since i'm still cross shopping used X, or other 3 row options (not many :) )

I don’t consider 234 cars all that many in inventory. I suspect they ran about a week or two of production. Possibly to try and fill the request they had from preorders way back when Y was released and then either made a mistake on releasing the config online or was just trying to fill a production run before removing it again.

Reactions: JBT66
I think Tesla looks at this as an experiment. They put together a package at a price that they felt fit within the boundaries of their profitability. Ultimately they're not getting enough interest from consumers to keep it around. I think it shows some discipline if that's the case as they've limited the complexity for manufacturing.

OP, I think you’re absolutely right. Price sensitive consumers are waiting for the new bill to pass. $7000 is a lot of money to most Americans, so it’s a rational move to wait, unless you absolutely need a car now. I think that model will sell like hot cakes once the bill is passed.

OP, I think you’re absolutely right. Price sensitive consumers are waiting for the new bill to pass. $7000 is a lot of money to most Americans, so it’s a rational move to wait, unless you absolutely need a car now. I think that model will sell like hot cakes once the bill is passed.

Well, right now it'll probably be dead before the bill comes back. It's off menu, but that doesn't mean it's there forever. Must also mentioned transitioning all standard range cars to iron based battery cells, this likely will make them a bit heavier and with slightly reduced energy density, both do not spell good things for the Y which already seems to be very sensitive to drag and generally doesn't do well in range tests compared to the Model 3. That 250 miles of range could be 230 miles with the cell change over, which of course would be like 120 miles in winter at highway speeds; something Must probably isn't really looking to advertise when you have the likes of the Mach-E and maybe ID4 out...

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Well, right now it'll probably be dead before the bill comes back. It's off menu, but that doesn't mean it's there forever. Must also mentioned transitioning all standard range cars to iron based battery cells, this likely will make them a bit heavier and with slightly reduced energy density, both do not spell good things for the Y which already seems to be very sensitive to drag and generally doesn't do well in range tests compared to the Model 3. That 250 miles of range could be 230 miles with the cell change over, which of course would be like 120 miles in winter at highway speeds; something Must probably isn't really looking to advertise when you have the likes of the Mach-E and maybe ID4 out...

I bet they would add a few more batteries to compensate for the range and acceleration that would have otherwise been lost. You would still lose a little efficiency, though.