TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Here's what my Tesla Ad would look like.

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by SOULPEDL, Jun 28, 2019.

1. SOULPEDL

SOULPEDL Supporting Member

It's not the movie (yet), but I thought I'd try a slight spin on a common Tesla message. We've heard how the total cost of ownership is similar to a Camry, but here I try to point out that your money is going back into the car and not out to big dirty oil.

Imagine this on a billboard in NYC. GoFundMe?

Camry or Tesla.png
    I understand why Tesla doesn't advertise (plenty of demand). To me (and I bet a lot of us here), it's like having super powers but you can't tell anyone... or at least people don't know the truth because of all the FUD and false stories out there, and think we're just some rich people taking big risks. They don't hear about how ordinary, middle-class folks are trading in their Honda and Prius for a Tesla. But I do think people care about saving their hard-earned money and not sharing it with the 1%, at no extra cost.

Sometimes I think Tesla doesn't advertise just so they can say so. It's like getting an A on an Exam without studying, it's a bit of pride I think. On the other hand, any Tesla advertising would likely trigger a tsunami of false (or crafted) demand stories once again.

But it doesn't mean we can't advertise. We do it already with our friends and neighbors which is what Tesla wants, right? And if Tesla tried to stop anyone, a lawsuit might even be better! (For now, both of those images have free use as non-commercial.)

I really think Michael Moore could do a hell of a job here, and sometimes wonder if even he is afraid of what big oil could do to him personally. Well then, where is he? A Tesla Movie on the Mission vs Evil would be awesome and would likely do pretty well in the box office.

2. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I like the concept, but I think the section where it directs the fuel money to "the 1%" is a bit high minded for an advertisement. People are selfish creatures, they're generally more concerned with the cost to them, than where their money goes to. Just the fact that the fuel is 3.25$/gal (Cali) vs the 0.14/watt would mean that much more, especially for something that generally will only hold someone's attention for 2-3 seconds before they ignore it.

Maybe the same advert, but has the break down to be "$.25/mile", vs ".02/mile" for the camery vs. Tesla and just leave off the 1% bit.

Edit: I don't know how accurate those cost/mileage numbers are. I guessed for placeholders.

3. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

#3 KSilver2000, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    I agree. Most people just go by whatever it cost them out of pocket at that moment.
    The tax credit and gas fuel savings over five years is not something the general car buyer calculates into their present purchase price.

If you really want to get into the details, it’s not just a straight $0.14/kWh versus $3.25/gallon calculation because in order to get that $0.14, one would have to go on the EV/TOU rate (again, CA rates). That would more than double the daytime electricity rates. So, net effective rate will come out to be higher than simply $0.14/kWh. For a household that uses just 10kWh during peak hours on average, charging 8 hours at 7kW overnight at off-peak rates would make the effective overnight charging rate be almost $0.18/kWh. Higher if you charge less than 8 hours since I doubt many would need 56kWh of charge every single night. So, then take 3 hours of charging and the effective rate is almost $0.24/kWh. But, then that becomes the base rate here on a tier schedule. So, then one would have to determine whether to stick with EV or tiered rate schedule given their lifestyle.

Using an effective $0.24/kWh electricity and $3.25/gallon prices:
    If a Model 3 can average 285 wh/mi and a comparable 3 series can get 27mpg combined in real world driving, then the calculation would be $0.07/mi for the model 3 and $0.12/mi for the 3 series.
    That makes the Tesla $3,000 cheaper over a total of 5 years at 12,000 miles/year driving, excluding other operation (less with Tesla) and insurance (more with Tesla) expenses factored in.
    Would be $0.05/mi if using the optimal effective rate of $0.18/kWh if you really need to charge that much every night.

• Like x 1
  4. Brando

Brando Active Member

Ride and test drive and talking with an owner.
    Far, far better than ANY Ad.

side note: don't confuse stock buyer with car buyer.

• Like x 1
  5. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Active Member

Tesla...An investment in and for your grandchildren.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

I would replace "Repairs" with "Maintenance". Honda's/Toyota's rarely "break" prematurely, however, the maintenance cost is real!

• Like x 1