Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets look at safety from another angle.

Accident in a Camry= Mostly major injury/death

Accident in 3= Walking away

playing a little more for my life I think is worth !!

case in point!!View attachment 243447 View attachment 243448

By the end of the day and you had an accident and walk away safe vs death, the extra 3k, 5k, or 7k is a chump changes for your life!!

Good arguments that Model 3 is a great car. But not very relevant to the question of whether it is a mainstream one. Apparently many people are not in a position to value their lives as highly as you do, or at any rate choose not to do so.

Per KBB

average transaction price (ATP) for light vehicles in the United States was $34,968 in January 2017

So regardless the disappearing rebate, the price to get a Model 3 is now mainstream. If you want to add options that's on you, but that doesn't prevent somebody from buying a black base Model 3 if they want one.

Latest is

the estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $37,185 in May 2019

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66
Can you imagine Toyota charging 1,000 for any other Camry paint than black?

35k is now 36k

Even with a gov credit that car is now 27,500 7,000 more than a 2017 Camry SE on clearance

Most people will not get this credit

But what about the wheels? If you want anything other than the lame aero wheels its now 37,500?

So 35k is now 37,500. We are getting into a range that is about 10k more than the average US car

But add the roof and base auto pilot and now we are at near 47k???

Please explain how 47k is a mass market affordable car?

Tesla was right when they said the model S is far superior. You are better off getting a used model S from the prices I've seen. I also cannot believe the loaded base model of the 3 is 59k. That is absurd
Many ICE manufacturers upcharge for "special paint", wheels, etc. Look closely at the window sticker the next time you shop for an ICE. Besides, ICE isn't EV. The long term benefits for EV are unquestionable. See you at the gas pump! NOT!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck