Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't matter. Soon enough, Nissan, VW, Hyundai, etc. will offer affordable EVs with decent range and quality. I don't blame Musk for wanting to keep Tesla a premium brand. If it becomes too mainstream and commoditized, it will lose some of its appeal and mystique.
This is speculation. These companies already have EVs on the market. We should compare how the Model 3 compares to EVs that is currently available instead of comparing to what other companies might potentially release in the future. The guy in this video did a pretty good job.

how are you better off getting the model S -- you are going to run into the same problems as they charge for other colors, upgraded wheels, etc.

when you factor in that gas is more expensive than electric on per mile basis, and maintenance 'should' be less, a tesla that costs a few thousand more than a ICE car could end up costing less through ownership. that being said, not everyone can afford one...i think we can all agree its not attainable for most of america, but its a good value for what it is.

You are better off getting a used model S from the prices I've seen. I also cannot believe the loaded base model of the 3 is 59k. That is absurd

Can you imagine Toyota charging 1,000 for any other Camry paint than black?

35k is now 36k

Even with a gov credit that car is now 27,500 7,000 more than a 2017 Camry SE on clearance

Most people will not get this credit

But what about the wheels? If you want anything other than the lame aero wheels its now 37,500?

So 35k is now 37,500. We are getting into a range that is about 10k more than the average US car

But add the roof and base auto pilot and now we are at near 47k???

Please explain how 47k is a mass market affordable car?

Tesla was right when they said the model S is far superior. You are better off getting a used model S from the prices I've seen. I also cannot believe the loaded base model of the 3 is 59k. That is absurd
You are a little bit slow on the uptake.

Too many drugs when you were younger?

Numerous people have pointed out how your entire premise is flawed.

Any V6 version with navigation will put the Camry over $30k. For people getting the full tax rebate, you're looking at a $25k base model 3 which compares quite favorably to a base model Camry.
$25K!? More like $27,500 for me in Seattle. $27,500 can buy you a decently optioned, completely reliable Honda as my wife would be quick to point out.

Interestingly enough, I am fairly confident that heated seats on the base model will be the deal breaker for her. If they are included, she'll probably relent and allow us to go forward with the purchase. If not, we're probably headed to Honda of Seattle. Still haven't seen heated seats on the base model confirmed yet, just speculated about.

@dreamingof3 :
oh-dear--sizqqk.jpg

Reactions: flamingoezz
I'm saying people who haven't driven an electric car are in for a huge surprise with regen breaking. You are automatically assuming people who are used to gasoline vehicles will enjoy the car breaking itself. Sure the driving experience is subjective and some people will love it too. The acceleration of the 3 will be far superior at least we can agree on that

ICE cars with manual transmission do break themselves when you are off the gas pedal, especially in low gears.

Reactions: Petra
I'm saying people who haven't driven an electric car are in for a huge surprise with regen breaking. You are automatically assuming people who are used to gasoline vehicles will enjoy the car breaking itself. Sure the driving experience is subjective and some people will love it too. The acceleration of the 3 will be far superior at least we can agree on that
I test drove the model S and it took me literally 5 minutes to get used to regen breaking. All it is is that your car stops earlier than on an ICE car and it adds back some energy to the battery. The model S even has an option to make the car do rolling stops like an ICE if you want. It's really a non issue.