Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2743.JPG

Can you imagine Toyota charging 1,000 for any other Camry paint than black?

35k is now 36k

Even with a gov credit that car is now 27,500 7,000 more than a 2017 Camry SE on clearance

Most people will not get this credit

But what about the wheels? If you want anything other than the lame aero wheels its now 37,500?

So 35k is now 37,500. We are getting into a range that is about 10k more than the average US car

But add the roof and base auto pilot and now we are at near 47k???

Please explain how 47k is a mass market affordable car?

Tesla was right when they said the model S is far superior. You are better off getting a used model S from the prices I've seen. I also cannot believe the loaded base model of the 3 is 59k. That is absurd

Here I found something more in your price range.

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 5.51.50 PM.png

If you want larger cargo space, don't want EAP, and need a car right now a used model S can be a better choice. However, you would be paying the same amount as a fully loaded model 3 for a used model S.
Here we go again, you are directly contradicting what Tesla has said directly- the model s is superior in every way to the 3. So if you could get a superior car for about the same price why wouldn't you?

Stop treating the accelerator like and on/off switch and you won't have that problem.
Lol thanks for telling me how to drive. Yeah it's a real joy to constantly monitor the speedometer....and the keeping the kw indicator slightly green.....which is why regen is on low will stay there. The only advantage to regen is in constant stop and go traffic aka city driving/traffic jams. Otherwise regen isn't cool at all

Funny and all but I actually have a real model s. The sad part is people can't voice their opinion without getting bashed by the ultra hard core/tesla can do nothing wrong followers.
What? You can have your opinion, but others can't have theirs?
Congrats, by the way. You made top 10 list of most "disagrees." Those darn "ultra hard core/tesla can do nothing wrong followers."

Reactions: transpondster
Lol thanks for telling me how to drive. Yeah it's a real joy to constantly monitor the speedometer....and the keeping the kw indicator slightly green.....which is why regen is on low will stay there. The only advantage to regen is in constant stop and go traffic aka city driving/traffic jams. Otherwise regen isn't cool at all

So what EV do you drive on a daily basis that you know regen so well?

You are a little bit slow on the uptake.

Too many drugs when you were younger?

Numerous people have pointed out how your entire premise is flawed.
Actually I can make a point without referencing insults. I still believe the Model S will not meet sales numbers when people see the real price. That's if Tesla doesn't piss enough people off with late deliveries.

Regen kicks ass when you have an experienced foot. The more the merrier.

But understand most EVs have blended brakes. They can drive just like any rental car with an automatic. But they still regen a bunch. One of them regens 0.3g at 70kW before the brake pads actually push against the rotors.

But if you don't want it to feel like a rental car, you click into 1 foot mode. It will come to a complete stop without touching the brake. This is pretty sweet as well. Or you use the 'handbrake', literally. You can slow down by touching the regen paddle with your left hand.

So here's what it amounts to. On a modern EV, if you so desire, it will act like any other automatic car. Drive it no differently, and it still recovers a good amount of energy in congested traffic or downhill grades. You only think the left is the brakes. It's actually only real brakes if you need more than 0.3g. Or if you desire, you can drive it like it has an electric motor with powerful regen on demand.

Actually I can make a point without referencing insults. I still believe the Model S will not meet sales numbers when people see the real price. That's if Tesla doesn't piss enough people off with late deliveries.

The most commonly purchased vehicle in the US is the Ford F150, right? Advertised for $27380.

Now go into a dealer's office and say the words "Fully loaded". Suddenly that $27380 price jumps to $67370.

I think Americans have gotten over the fact that if you want extra options in a vehicle, that it costs money. Well, MOST Americans...