Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried reducing the speed today, between 5 and 20mph in stop and go traffic. The problem is that traffic speed is inconsistent and seeing the speed like that will inevitably cause you to fall way behind when traffic does progress a bit. So limiting the speed to 5mph does just as good as doing so in a 1958 Chrysler Imperial with cruise control. You have to manually catch up to traffic all the time.

(Fun fact, Chrysler called the cruise control in this car, the first car to achieve level 1 autonomy, "auto-pilot" . So when people give Musk a hard time for calling his system autopilot they should really blame Mr. Chrysler. Even with the carsick inducing stop and go traffic performance Musk's autopilot is way more autopilot like than Chrysler's, and no one gave Chrysler grief over the name. (Said in a wine) "Hey Chrysler, I bought your car with auto-pilot but a real autopilot would drive it better, you're a jerk" /Fun fact).

Anyway, the M3 obviously had the ability to see the car in front of it and then just accelerate more gradually, it did until an update about two years ago, I really wish Tesla would at least put that back as an option for those that get carsick.

Gotta say, this is something that makes autopilot quite unpleasant and vomit inducing.

Had this experience yesterday, distance set to 7, top speed to 20, still had the lead foot problem in stop and go traffic. Never found the sweet spot of the normal slow roll a (capable) human does in that type of driving. Hopefully it gets better with updates, but right now I can't use it in stop and go given how quickly it give motion sickness.

Reactions: jdgordon7