Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heroic Driver Sacrifices His Tesla To Save Unconscious Man In Runaway Volkswagen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our rockstar's name is Manfred Kick. Photos below of him and his MS from Electrek (more photos of the crash scene there) as well as an interview with him on Süeddeutsche Zeitung. His Facebook profile can be found here if you'd like to give him kudos publicly.

manfred-kick-tesla-1.jpeg

manfred-kick-tesla-2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: tmarcc
That was impressively quick thinking on the driver's part.

Do you notice that Mr. Musk's tweet offers the repair "free of charge **and expedited**"? I've read a bunch of threads here about delays at European service centers. It appears that he's well aware of that problem.

That's not that much damage considering the forces involved.

According to the interview, the VW was going around 40 km/h at the time, so it wasn't going at breakneck speed (though certainly enough to leave a bigger bump than that.)
Mr. Kick explained in the interview that he intentionally breaked hard enough for the initial impact to register with the crash sensors of the car behind him, so that the doors would unlock. Considering that, the damage is minimal indeed. The 10.000€ figure is combined damage of both cars from what I know.

If I was him and it was safe to do so, I'd actually consider keeping the damage as a battle scar of sorts. Either way, kudos to Mr. Kick!

Mr. Kick explained in the interview that he intentionally breaked hard enough for the initial impact to register with the crash sensors of the car behind him, so that the doors would unlock.
^Brilliant!

@elonmusk @teslamotors
pls consider giving Manfred Kick a job @ Tesla for whatever salary he wants. He more than earned it! #elonmusk #teslamotors

Actually he is an entrepreneur himself so I think he wouldn't need a job with Tesla ;-)

By the way, interesting to note that his Model S has the Aero wheels, which seem to be quite rare, at least over here.

And also interesting was a note in a second SZ article, where Mr. Kick said that he didn't mind the damage, even though he added that it was a little bit unfortunate because up to now the car was accident-free and he intended to sell it shortly, because he already had a new Tesla on order - which had a tow hitch. In other words, his car on order must be a Model X. Or is there a towing package now available on the facelift Model S also? I don't think so.

Last edited: