Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertfordshire to the South of France.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello again, similar thread to the one i started with us going to The Alps. We decided yesterday that we are going to take the Tesla down to the South of France in July & stay near Beziers. The obvious SC route is one i frankly would dread, Senlis to Auxerre and passing close to Paris. I was hoping to get to Calais with about 100miles charge to full then head to Chalons en Champagne, avoid Auxerre & head straight to Dijon then Lyon down to Orange. The car will be fully loaded with 5 of us & a fair bit of kit. Am i being over optimistic? for those of you who have already experience with a loaded car & range, what do you think? We are due to take delivery later this month (fingers crossed), we have plenty of time but im a bugger for planning. Thanks in advance J

If you charge to full at Calais then you should have no problem getting to Chalons - it's only 198 miles.

The problem is that charging to 100% is really painfully slow - the last 10% will take as long as the first 90% did.

Ideally you want to be building supercharger routes where at each supercharger you only need to charge to 80% rather than 100%. Calais - Senlis is 150 miles which is the perfect distance between superchargers for an 85kWh Model S.

If you do want to go via Chalons then it's worth a) hoping for an Arras supercharger sometime between now and July and b) looking at alternate charging options in between Calais and Chalons (there's a completely free 22kW charge point at a McDonalds at Bapaume which is not quite en route but not hugely out of your way) so that you can quit Calais at say 90% full and not have to wait around for ages while it "brims the tank".

Or just timetable it so that your Calais stop is a meal break and then you won't mind the slow charge :)

ive been looking at the Calais SC, cant tell from google but hoping its available to outbound/inbound. I've been reading some threads on SpeakEv & think it will probably be better going the Senlis /Auxerre route, without sounding like a plum, i could actually put the pedal to the metal & then just not worry. Have an overnight stop at Auxerre which will be about midpoint, have a nice brekkie then spend the next 6/7 hours booting it down to Beziers stopping at all SC's on route. I'd rather belt down & stop more frequent rather than watching the speedo worrying. Besides, being of a certain age, i need to have a comfort break about every 90 minutes anyway. Once down, there are chargers in Beziers & a SC in Narbonne so im going to be fine.