Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz buying 100,000 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if you have to return the car at the same charge level? Also, I wonder how supercharging will work. I assume Hertz will upcharge you. Let’s them charge per mile..

If the below post is true, Hertz expects the car to return with at least 10% charge. The cars can use superchargers and Hertz pays the bill.

Here is post claiming to be the Terms & Conditions of Hertz's Tesla rental contract:

FCoQmFcVIAAC9dd

If the below post is true, Hertz expects the car to return with at least 10% charge. The cars can use superchargers and Hertz pays the bill.

Here is post claiming to be the Terms & Conditions of Hertz's Tesla rental contract:

FCoQmFcVIAAC9dd
But it says the charge will be added to the renter's total charges eventually.

Last edited:
Just rented a M3 on Turo this past weekend. Was told to supercharge normally. The supercharging of course is billed to the owner, but was told the cost would then be added on to my Turo account/card on file.

I imagine Hertz will do something similar.

I don't see Tesla changing how the direct billing is done just to accommodate rentals, and users without Tesla accounts. And I also don't see Hertz covering the bill for 100k cars constantly supercharging.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I don't see Tesla changing how the direct billing is done just to accommodate rentals, and users without Tesla accounts. And I also don't see Hertz covering the bill for 100k cars constantly supercharging.
Way outside the topic of this thread. But Tesla will definitely start doing some specific things for rental market. a few dozen cars Turo has is different from 100k "initial" orders from Hertz. Other rental companies will soon join too.

Just rented a M3 on Turo this past weekend. Was told to supercharge normally. The supercharging of course is billed to the owner, but was told the cost would then be added on to my Turo account/card on file.

Well at some point in the not too distant future, Tesla is going to making SOME of their SC network available to NON Tesla EV’s..so that would require them to make a payment mechanism available to anyone with probably access to the app or have a charging station pay station at an SC - sort of like an attendant free for pay parking meter I think. they MIGHT be planning to introduce something like this as a pilot or available for users to use with a rented Tesla from any source - but not being the actual owner. We’ll see.

But it says the charge will be added to the renter's total charges eventually.
One other item to note is that the renter is not required to return the car with the car charged to the initial level at pickup. So the $5 to $10 cost to Hertz of charging a 10% returned car back up to 80% is most likely included in the rental price (you are buying the full tank of fuel whether you like it or not). Hertz correctly, in my opinion, judged that people in a hurry at the end of their trip, would not be happy if they had to deal with bringing it back to the original charge level to avoid a kWh use charge.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce

Just like automatic tolls and the like, they’ll bill you later…makes sense.

question..hasnt Elon been saying for YEARS, that TEsla will open their SC network to others?
He has, with two stipulations:
1) the cars need to charge fast enough to not clog up the chargers
2) bill-back be done at the company level, not at the individual level

Until recently, few cars have been able to clear the first hurdle

Yes, Type 2 for AC, CCS 2 for DC. All Superchargers have been retrofitted with CCS cables.
S and X need a Tesla CCS adapter and a small fix to fit their Type 2.
All DC chargers and all new cars in Europe are CCS 2.
Makes me want to puke...

350 kW:
R.0b9877f2a99cc11f8f1067949b5b02b0

350 kW:
Screen-Shot-2019-11-09-at-9.00.54-AM.png

WHO in their right minds would EVER choose the first?!
Lobbyi$t$, that's who.

Last edited: