Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz buying 100,000 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me want to puke...

150kWh:
R.0b9877f2a99cc11f8f1067949b5b02b0

250kWh:
Screen-Shot-2019-11-09-at-9.00.54-AM.png

WHO in their right minds would EVER choose the first?!
Lobbyi$t$, that's who.
150 and 250 kWh should be 150 kW and 250 kW. sorry. Unit police on patrol.

Reactions: helvio
That's a real question. Who benefits from the first standard and why?

We already know who benefits from the second standard.
Tesla created a connector when there were no standards defined. They offered it to be a standard, it was never taken. They wouldn't really benefit from it, except for "easier" Supercharger income. Now they will benefit from Supercharging income + selling adapters.

Companies that pay politicians to select a standard will then benefit from those. By being chosen to deploy chargers and also by selling adapters. Really, adapters shouldn't have ever existed. Can you sincerely imagine multiple gas pumps nozzles with different shapes? It's an epic fail what humanity did with EV standards. We had one shot to make things right (and I really wouldn't care which standard, as long as there was one) - and we failed.

EDIT NOTE: Changed kWh to kW and 150/250 to 350 for both, as those are theoretical maximums for both.

Reactions: tmoz and rxlawdude
Tesla created a connector when there were no standards defined. They offered it to be a standard, it was never taken. They wouldn't really benefit from it, except for "easier" Supercharger income. Now they will benefit from Supercharging income + selling adapters.

Companies that pay politicians to select a standard will then benefit from those. By being chosen to deploy chargers and also by selling adapters. Really, adapters shouldn't have ever existed. Can you sincerely imagine multiple gas pumps nozzles with different shapes? It's an epic fail what humanity did with EV standards. We had one shot to make things right (and I really wouldn't care which standard, as long as there was one) - and we failed.

EDIT NOTE: Changed kWh to kW and 150/250 to 350 for both, as those are theoretical maximums for both.
OK, I understand how lobbying works. My question was looking for a more specific answer. WHO payed the politicians to accept the CCS standard? What were the company names? How did they benefit with that particular standard over others? I am looking for specific answers, not some generic description of corruption.

Quite odd that a company on the verge of operating a fleet of robotaxis (1 million of them nearly 11 months ago, I heard) would be selling 100k of its products directly to a competitor, letting them reap the benefits (read: income) of operating/renting out said robotaxis.

OK, I understand how lobbying works. My question was looking for a more specific answer. WHO payed the politicians to accept the CCS standard? What were the company names? How did they benefit with that particular standard over others? I am looking for specific answers, not some generic description of corruption.
I am no investigative journalist. All you'll get from me is:
"Both connectors work the same, one is bulky and one is slim. Also slim came first. Then why does bulky exist?"

If I had more to say I'd say more. I don't really know what your intent is. This is merely possible evidence of corruption by someone. Do what you will with that, I don't really want to entertain this topic any longer. The post was just designed to compare both connectors, not a political debate.

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
Tesla created a connector when there were no standards defined. They offered it to be a standard, it was never taken.
The history is a little bit more complicated.

Search for CCS vs CHAdeMO. BTW, Tesla was part of the J1772 standards committee - but they decided not to use J1772. The standards were decided by SAE and not politicians.

You could say Japanese / US+German OEMs played a big part with Tesla just a small player at that time. We are talking about 2000s.

The California regulations of 2001 mandated the usage of SAE J1772-2001 beginning with the 2006 model year.

Quite odd that a company on the verge of operating a fleet of robotaxis (1 million of them nearly 11 months ago, I heard) would be selling 100k of its products directly to a competitor, letting them reap the benefits (read: income) of operating/renting out said robotaxis.
I'm sorry, is Hertz in the taxi business??? Also, I'm pretty sure Tesla has announced repeatedly that their mission is to advance the adoption of EV technology...they'll sell to anyone, even competitors...

Well at some point in the not too distant future, Tesla is going to making SOME of their SC network available to NON Tesla EV’s..so that would require them to make a payment mechanism available to anyone with probably access to the app or have a charging station pay station at an SC - sort of like an attendant free for pay parking meter I think.

Tivoboy, you're absolutely right. I forgot about that.

But what a project that will be if they intend to retrofit every single supercharger with a payment module. Perhaps they'll figure out another way to direct bill to non-Tesla owners and the rental market.

Tivoboy, you're absolutely right. I forgot about that.

But what a project that will be if they intend to retrofit every single supercharger with a payment module. Perhaps they'll figure out another way to direct bill to non-Tesla owners and the rental market.
I’m pretty sure it will be through some non owner login mechanism via the Tesla app. Owner with registered email logs in, gets regular Tesla vehicle app. NON owner logs in, request integration to payment mechanism, Apple Pay, Google pay, CC, Bitcoin, whatever and when you show up at a Supercharger you simply type in the SC number into the app and the about to occur/current/most recent charging session is billed directly at NON owner supercharger rates. It’s not hard to do based on what is already in place.

I think there will be SOME retrofit or augment required for some locations, because ppl will need an adaptor. I can see an Amazon locker type setup at some locations to check-in/check-out the adaptor for use at the Tesla SC by say a VW id4, but then you have to put the adaptor back. Some locations might even have an ATTENDANT depending on the location and the premium users WILL pay for access to the SC network.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow
If the below post is true, Hertz expects the car to return with at least 10% charge. The cars can use superchargers and Hertz pays the bill.

Here is post claiming to be the Terms & Conditions of Hertz's Tesla rental contract:
Makes me want to puke...

350 kW:
R.0b9877f2a99cc11f8f1067949b5b02b0

350 kW:
Screen-Shot-2019-11-09-at-9.00.54-AM.png

WHO in their right minds would EVER choose the first?!
Lobbyi$t$, that's who.
Hey. That looks like a fist full of fun!

Reactions: gaspi101

Well, they bought them for $42k per vehicle.

So, Hertz didn't buy the FSD software. Musk confirmed Hertz paid retail.

There is nothing stopping Tesla buying them back at auction or directly from Hertz at significant discount after they accumulate 20k plus miles and putting them into the robotaxi network.

Well, they bought them for $42k per vehicle.

So, Hertz didn't buy the FSD software. Musk confirmed Hertz paid retail.

There is nothing stopping Tesla buying them back at auction or directly from Hertz at significant discount after they accumulate 20k plus miles and putting them into the robotaxi network.

Elon has never put out misleading statements on Twitter.

And as I said...here is Tesla supplying vehicles to a rideshare competitor.

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant