Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Employees Taking Up Entire Superchargers - Charging to 100%!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that vehicles charge slowly once the battery reaches 80%. Tesla could reduce Supercharging congestion by raising the cost for charging once the battery reaches 80%. If you absolutely need the charge, then you'll pay. If not, then you can move your vehicle.
We are paying per minute billing... Of course it is more expensive to fill per kWh as the charging slows down... This is well known.

Last edited:

Supercharger Fair Use​

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, unless you charge on a pay per use basis, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.

So this is going to be a major issue as it seems Hertz policy is for employees to just charge the fleet at the closest Supercharger to 100%. A friend of mine recently ran into this on a road trip with his family through Alberta. Supercharger at Rocky View AB was taken up entirely with Hertz employees - my friend only needed 10min worth of charge as he was on super low SOC. The employees refused unplugging even for a bit to let him in as they said it was policy to stay plugged in until their cars were 100% SOC. If this continues, it could spell road trip disaster for all of us as the Hertz fleet comes on line with more Teslas. Does this not violate the Supercharger Fair Use Policy?
The cost to charge at 90%-95% should be 5x (makes one think) and 10x for 95%-100% the pricing would make people (including companies like Hertz) think before moving the slider past 90%.

Supercharger Fair Use​

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, unless you charge on a pay per use basis, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.
They have current cars that require a charge on pay per use. The issue is that moving from 80% to 100% charging takes twice as long as 0-80%.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
When they return the car there could be circumstances that encourage the renter to "fully charge" the car before dropping it off. What sort of surcharge would apply when returning a car with say only 5% or 20% charge.
I asked Hertz, and you are expected to return with 10%.

If returning below 10%, the assistant told me to check with the location when getting the car, for any added fees.

That presumes Hertz didn’t make free supercharging a condition of their purchase. We don’t know.
and if they did, them charging would be once again within Tesla's agreement / policies. Basically nothing to complain about Hertz here. The only complaint would be parked vehicles that are not plugged in or Tesla not having enough charges in a particular area to meet the demand.

I asked Hertz, and you are expected to return with 10%.

If returning below 10%, the assistant told me to check with the location when getting the car, for any added fees.
It would surprise me if there was not a surcharge if the battery is not pretty full upon return, same idea as with returning a gas rental. It could impact Superchargers close to car rental operations if the customers try to charge up before returning a EV rental (even if Hertz puts in chargers at their rental locations). I'm not sure about the typical customer but I've usually refilled gas tanks on rental cars before dropping it off (maybe saving a few dollars).

It would surprise me if there was not a surcharge if the battery is not pretty full upon return, same idea as with returning a gas rental. It could impact Superchargers close to car rental operations if the customers try to charge up before returning a EV rental (even if Hertz puts in chargers at their rental locations). I'm not sure about the typical customer but I've usually refilled gas tanks on rental cars before dropping it off (maybe saving a few dollars).
Apparently because they can charge cars in their lot after drop off, Hertz has made it their EV return policy to not require cars be dropped off at high levels of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: MacNeil
Apparently because they can charge cars in their lot after drop off, Hertz has made it their EV return policy to not require cars be dropped off at high levels of charge.
Hertz locations are supposed to be getting private superchargers.

Hertz locations are supposed to be getting private superchargers.
Can’t get my phone to open the link (stupid iPhone 🤬), but I’d be very surprised if Hertz was getting super chargers. It just seems wasteful to me when L2 chargers would be a lot easier and cheaper, both in initial cost and upkeep.

Reactions: rypalmer
Can’t get my phone to open the link (stupid iPhone 🤬), but I’d be very surprised if Hertz was getting super chargers. It just seems wasteful to me when L2 chargers would be a lot easier and cheaper, both in initial cost and upkeep.
I assume that they will end up with 72kw ones for high-volume locations, it will keep the cars in service.

I just experienced this issue. There were 3 people waiting for Tesla stalls to come available as all of the stalls were filled. All of a sudden a Hertz employee pulled up in a Red Tesla, unplugs and moves a Blue Tesla all to charge the Red Tesla leaving the same 3 Tesla’s waiting on stalls to charge.

I was one of the 3 that was waiting as I observed this happening I was very furious.

This is a huge issue because once I did get a spot that was not occupied by Hertz, I noticed this happen about three more times as I was charging. This is very inconsiderate.