Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Employees Taking Up Entire Superchargers - Charging to 100%!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is going to be a major issue as it seems Hertz policy is for employees to just charge the fleet at the closest Supercharger to 100%. A friend of mine recently ran into this on a road trip with his family through Alberta. Supercharger at Rocky View AB was taken up entirely with Hertz employees - my friend only needed 10min worth of charge as he was on super low SOC. The employees refused unplugging even for a bit to let him in as they said it was policy to stay plugged in until their cars were 100% SOC. If this continues, it could spell road trip disaster for all of us as the Hertz fleet comes on line with more Teslas. Does this not violate the Supercharger Fair Use Policy?

So let's assume you arrive at a Supercharger and see all the stalls are taken and everyone is charging (don't know till what % and how long it will take them to do so), will you go and ask people to unplug and let you charge because you are in a hurry? Or you have a low SOC? They might be in a hurry or have a low SOC as well. Low SOC doesn't really matter as you are already there. It's the same concept as asking people in the grocery lineup to let you get ahead of them because you are in a hurry or hungry and need to eat fast.

To me, all those cars being from Hertz is irrelevant here, the more relevant point/question should be do we need more Superchargers? And answer is Yes specially with more Teslas joining rental fleets in North America.

So let's assume you arrive at a Supercharger and see all the stalls are taken and everyone is charging (don't know till what % and how long it will take them to do so), will you go and ask people to unplug and let you charge because you are in a hurry? Or you have a low SOC? They might be in a hurry or have a low SOC as well. Low SOC doesn't really matter as you are already there. It's the same concept as asking people in the grocery lineup to let you get ahead of them because you are in a hurry or hungry and need to eat fast.

To me, all those cars being from Hertz is irrelevant here, the more relevant point/question should be do we need more Superchargers? And answer is Yes specially with more Teslas joining rental fleets in North America.
I don’t think it’s the same as asking a person to unplug when it’s one corporate entity taking up the entire supercharger and not leaving some for the general public. By this logic then we should all give up on superchargers and just leave it to Hertz for their use?

This could be a one-off as perhaps Hertz was likely just taking delivery of all their cars. This is new. What's the likelihood that all their rentals need SuperCharging at the exact same time? It's not like Calgary will have that many total.

I suspect this problem will sort itself out quickly as Tesla can easily $incentivize/$penalize Hertz from continuing to do this. There's lots of individuals who don't know EVs/SuperChargers either that just want to charge to 100% all the time. My wife being one of them. Decades of "Never leave with less than half a tank" recommendations from industry professionals and consumer safety advocates driving in Northern cold climates will make that a tough habit to break.

This could be a one-off as perhaps Hertz was likely just taking delivery of all their cars. This is new. What's the likelihood that all their rentals need SuperCharging at the exact same time? It's not like Calgary will have that many total.

I suspect this problem will sort itself out quickly as Tesla can easily $incentivize/$penalize Hertz from continuing to do this. There's lots of individuals who don't know EVs/SuperChargers either that just want to charge to 100% all the time. My wife being one of them. Decades of "Never leave with less than half a tank" recommendations from industry professionals and consumer safety advocates driving in Northern cold climates will make that a tough habit to break.
Let’s hope you’re right and this sorts itself out. I think Tesla needs to assert itself in this if the practise becomes common by corporations and their rental fleets. If they are using these cars to make profit, they should invest in their own charging infrastructure.

Reactions: RSpanner and KJD
I don’t think it’s the same as asking a person to unplug when it’s one corporate entity taking up the entire supercharger and not leaving some for the general public. By this logic then we should all give up on superchargers and just leave it to Hertz for their use?
Well no, I'm just saying if assume they are not corporate we still would have to wait for a stall to get emptied. And even if they are corporate, how long it will take for them to charge? 45 minutes? I'm just saying Hertz won't be charging in Superchargers 24/7, I bet we won't even notice them.

It would seem to me that a rental car company would want to install their own charging infrastructure to limit the time their employees spend to move the cars off site and back. Don't most of them have fueling systems set up for ICE cars?!? (at least the larger depots - airports and such)
yes exactly - the SC's should be for public individual use, not corporate/commercial use.

Who ever is willing to pay can use superchargers. Many people drive their vehicles for commercial use, including me. You can not suggest cutting commercial user from chargers.
Should have clarified - I'm pointing to the case of entire Supercharger being used by a corporation with none available to the public. Also the fact that their policy is to charge to 100% SOC means the SC will be in use much longer to get to that charge level.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out are more EV's are added to rental fleets. As stated above, the rental depot will find it pretty inefficient to have staff shuttling EV's back and forth to chargers as opposed to having on-site charging. Looking at the map, it appears that the Supercharger in question is in the same general area as the Calgary airport but certainly not within walking distance. Quite a different situation than for a gas car where staff can drive to a gas station and be back in 5-10 minutes with a full tank. Another aspect could be from the perspective of the person renting the car who would expect the car to be "fully charged" when they pick it up. When they return the car there could be circumstances that encourage the renter to "fully charge" the car before dropping it off. What sort of surcharge would apply when returning a car with say only 5% or 20% charge. Does that mess up the schedule for the next renter?

You can manually override the 80% max charge limit when it's busy. Just don't tell anyone how if they're wearing a Hertz shirt. ;)
It's possible that these cars were on their way to Edmonton, and the Hertz staff were under instruction to charge to 100% so that they would for sure be able to make it up there without stopping? Either way, Hertz will figure this out, because it's such a waste of time vs just installing a bunch of HPWCs. It would probably be faster to L2 charge at their depot than driving to SC (one car at a time) and back if you're above 70% (I didn't do the math). And what is/are the employee's time worth?

Hertz will
Supercharger Fair Use policy
I am not sure what your point is because you did not include any but just wanted to point out that fair use policy only applies to people with free supercharging. It is stated with in the policy itself :

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, unless you charge on a pay per use basis, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.
This Policy applies to all Superchargers worldwide and all Tesla vehicles with free unlimited Supercharging or free Supercharging for the lifetime of vehicle ownership, purchased, either new or used, whether from Tesla or a third party, after December 15, 2017.

Hertz will

I am not sure what your point is because you did not include any but just wanted to point out that fair use policy only applies to people with free supercharging. It is stated with in the policy itself :

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, unless you charge on a pay per use basis, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.
This Policy applies to all Superchargers worldwide and all Tesla vehicles with free unlimited Supercharging or free Supercharging for the lifetime of vehicle ownership, purchased, either new or used, whether from Tesla or a third party, after December 15, 2017.
I dropped the link for people to read. It outlines Tesla’s policy on this whether someone agrees with it or not.

Reactions: Murky-Article