Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Employees Using All Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you would think that Hertz would have a nice bank of destination chargers/wall connectors they could use to be charging their fleet. However, I doubt there is much that can be done to stop it short of requesting that they stop this practice. How would Tesla know if it was a Hertz employee or a Hertz customer using the Supercharger?

As for the Kia, what is happening in this picture? Is the Kia just hanging the plug like that to make it look like they are charging?

It's probably not illegal, but certainly rude as hell. I don't think they are actually taking up two spots though, are they? Can't you just hang the cable back up into pedestal 2C?

I can’t seem to get through to Tesla to report this, any ideas? In Revere, MA, almost every charger is in use by Hertz employees charging up their fleet. Doesn’t matter the day or time. Last 3 visits I was unable to get a charger. Shouldn’t Hertz have their own facility?

To top it off, today a Kia was taking up 2 spots. Is that even legal?

A while back Tesla decided to limit the commercial use of Superchargers after continued abuse by the Tesloop taxi service in LA.
I think that the commercial use by Hertz employees would violate this agreement referenced in the Electrek article linked below.

"According to the added statement on Tesla’s legal page, those commercial purposes include:
  • as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.
The change is going to affect many people and companies, like Tesloop, which largely rely on Tesla’s Superchargers to provide its transport services in southern California, and the many taxi drivers using Tesla vehicles."

I can’t seem to get through to Tesla to report this, any ideas? In Revere, MA, almost every charger is in use by Hertz employees charging up their fleet. Doesn’t matter the day or time. Last 3 visits I was unable to get a charger. Shouldn’t Hertz have their own facility?

To top it off, today a Kia was taking up 2 spots. Is that even legal?

Is it legal? Of course it is.

Using the intended equipment for its intended purpose? What law would they be breaking?

A while back Tesla decided to limit the commercial use of Superchargers after continued abuse by the Tesloop taxi service in LA.
I think that the commercial use by Hertz employees would violate this agreement referenced in the Electrek article linked below.

"According to the added statement on Tesla’s legal page, those commercial purposes include:
  • as a taxi;
The change is going to affect many people and companies, like Tesloop, which largely rely on Tesla’s Superchargers to provide its transport services in southern California, and the many taxi drivers using Tesla vehicles."
Yes, but, again, how would Tesla be able to differentiate between a Hertz employee using the Supercharger, and a Hertz customer using it?

It's one thing if the car is registered to a taxi/rideshare driver and Tesla can go after them for abusing the Supercharger network. It's very different with a rental car where obviously the renter should be expected/allowed to use the Supercharger network.

And it's not like you can "blacklist" Superchargers near Hertz rental facilities--I imagine that's a large number of Superchargers, and it's not like customers would not need to use a nearby Supercharger during their rental period.

The only way forward to me seems like Tesla comes to an agreement with Hertz on fair use of Superchargers, or they provide private Supercharger sites for the busier Hertz facilities, or what makes the most sense: they ship a bunch of wall connectors to Hertz facilities and install those so they can be AC charging them as they sit on the lot. This is especially important if Hertz's policy is to send out cars with full or nearly full batteries...if Hertz employees are tying up Superchargers waiting for the cars to get to 95%+, yeah, that's a huge problem.

Yes the Kia had some adapter and looked like it was actually charging. I supposed I could have taken out their charger and swapped it with the one next to it , but didn’t want to touch their properly.
It was probably a TPC to j1772 adapter which exist and will plug in but it doesn't allow the car to charge at a supercharger.

• as a taxi;
That policy only applies to Tesla vehicles with free Supercharging.

So as long as Hertz is paying the same rate to charge as everyone else, I don't see an issue.

Hertz employees have just as much right to be there charging as anyone else.

Wonder what the policy is for hertz, as far as the battery level when the vehicle is rented...

If the hertz employees are waiting at the superchargers, trying to get the vehicle from 90-100% that's going to be inconvenient for a lot of people waiting...

Yes, you would think that Hertz would have a nice bank of destination chargers/wall connectors they could use to be charging their fleet. However, I doubt there is much that can be done to stop it short of requesting that they stop this practice. How would Tesla know if it was a Hertz employee or a Hertz customer using the Supercharger?
Hertz likely needs to be able to quickly recharge the vehicles so they can be rented out again.

Requiring an overnight recharge is likely too long of a turnaround time.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and FlatSix911
Tesla is to blame here.

Tesla's use of the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) prevents Hertz from being able to fast charge the vehicles at Hertz's own lot even if Hertz installed fast chargers there.
Um...no. They can use a CCS adapter or CHAdeMO adapter, both of which Tesla sold or sells, even if they need to import them from Korea. But come on, the location probably doesn't even have a fast charger. Fast chargers are expensive, and require 3 phase service, and would probably also require a transformer upgrade.

Um...no. They can use a CCS adapter or CHAdeMO adapter, both of which Tesla sold or sells, even if they need to import them from Korea. But come on, the location probably doesn't even have a fast charger. Fast chargers are expensive, and require 3 phase service, and would probably also require a transformer upgrade.
Hertz has 8,500 locations.

Let's say that every location has two fast chargers.

Hertz would need 17,000 CCS adapters or CHAdeMO adapters.

CHAdeMO adapters aren't so anymore.

...so Hertz would need to import 17,000 CCS adapters from South Korea!

Hertz has 8,500 locations.

Let's say that every location has two fast chargers.
Stop right there. I can't even rent a Tesla from any Hertz location in Hawaii right now (yes, I've looked). Only a handful of Hertz locations in major cities are renting these things out right now. Forget about OGG or LIH or KOA, I can't even get a Tesla at HNL!