Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Rental Experience [review of renting a model 3 from Hertz]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rented a Tesla Model 3 from Orlando Florida International Airport - here are my thoughts 😏

it's cold out here

Preface
According to the Hertz employees that I spoke with, Saturday December 11, 2021 was the third day that they had had them available for rent. I started the rental process just like any other by going to the Hertz desk to check in. The process was the same as any other car, verify information, make payment, etc. I was sent to the "Gold" area near where you pick up the car to get the key card for my vehicle. The woman I spoke to was not familiar with the fact that Tesla's were available and advised "...head to the Gold row and select any car...". I thought wow they must have a lot of Teslas to choose from however this is where some of the confusion started. There were a few Model 3s parked in the "Premium" parking spots but none in Gold. Nevertheless, after a short walk around and not seeing any in that area I headed back to ask for clarification where I asked again about my Tesla rental. I was told that Tesla's aren't available for rent yet, despite my reservation. The staff was very understanding in helping me after I showed my receipt for the Model 3 rental. If you decide to rent a Tesla, I would recommend having your receipt that shows the word "Tesla Model 3" on it 😉

Getting the Key
I was given a single key card for the vehicle and asked if I knew how to operate a Tesla. I own a Model 3 and advised them of this so they sent me on my way. Side note; I have NO IDEA what procedures Hertz regarding showing people how to operate a Tesla. It is pretty intuitive however I can say that I have had some friends drive mine (...back home 👀) and everyone is either intimidated or confused for the first few drives; and they had me in the passenger seat as an instructor. I will say that when I reserved the vehicle I believe I received an email with details/a link to Tesla's site where they have instructions on how to operate the vehicle. I know people who OWN A TESLA that still don't know how to fully operate them. Nevertheless, I digress - it will be interesting to see how that all works out, especially at airports 😂

No Phone Key 🥲
This was kinda of a big deal for me and honestly kind of annoying. Driving a Model 3 for a year, I've become accustomed to never having to unlock or lock my vehicle. I'm also very used to being able to open frunk/trunk from my phone, start the climate remotely, and of course the classic badass walking away from the car with the windows down and then they roll up while the car locks 😎. I found myself fumbling with the key-card all the time which is enclosed in an annoying Hertz plastic protective case. Unlock, lock, start, yeah yeah big deal - first world Tesla problem but that's just it, that's part of owning a Tesla; the ease of use and how intuitive it is. I wish renting was the same! The key card has always been a backup and using it as the primary method of operating the vehicle was a big 👎.

Guest Phone Key Feature 🙏 (NEEDED!)
In my opinion, there should be a phone key guest feature where I can scan the QR code on the front windshield and enter my Hertz confirmation number through my Tesla app to get “guest access” to the vehicle; or send me an email link, etc. Then, when I return my vehicle the guest access is withdrawn. As a developer (I code 🤓) I was very frustrated at the lack of this feature in that I feel like it should be pretty trivial to set up. I would imagine most of the infrastructure is already there. Elonnnnn 🙏

Setup (Wait What?)
I was the first renter of my Model 3 with 8 miles on the odometer - LETS GOO! The car defaulted with some settings that I think should be on by default. Auto Pilot had to be enabled in the settings (while in park, because thats more distracting than playing solitaire while in motion 🙄) along with Joe mode (please tell me you turn down that dang ding ding sound with this setting 😂). This was a quick fix for me though; not sure others would know how to do this - or engage auto-pilot at all now that I think about it haha! The glove box was locked with a pin that I was not given. I didn't realize this until after leaving Hertz. Maybe we don't get access 🥺 or maybe I was supposed to be given it when picking up the vehicle. The trunk and frunk were accessible though and I think the charger was in the back - don't know if they checked that I didn't steal it 😬 (I didn't).

welcomeFromTheNortheast.png

Returning The Vehicle 😒 (Don't call me at 4AM)
I returned my vehicle at ~1AM after a night of sweet Auto Piloting around downtown Orlando. The process was the same as any rental except for the aggressive phone call I got at 4:01 AM (which I didn't answer because it's 4AM…). The voicemail read something like “...we have a Tesla over here that you rented that does not have a key in it. Please come back asap with the key so we do not charge you a fee…”. I left the key (card) in the car in plain sight. I believe the problem may have been that the person moving the cars around from the drop off area didnt know how to operate the Tesla with the key. Not our problem but the 4AM call for sure is 😐 - pro tip Hertz, don't do that, like ever in a million years; it's unprofessional and annoying. If the key really wasn't there, my bad charge me but 4AM is unacceptable to call someone for that reason.

Charging (Free 99 Baby!)
Hertz covers the charging cost (awesome!). If I'm not mistaken they just asked that you return the vehicle with at least 10% charge; easy. Side note - I’ve never had to wait at a charging station but I did during my rental here in Orlando Florida. There are a ton of EVs here in Orlando and I cant imagine how its going to be with more and more rentals on the road; actually I can, chaos and frustration. The charging infrastructure will definitely need to be expanded because of Hertz’s new acquisition and more people owning EVs.

Rumors and Inside Scoop
I was told that any damage to the vehicle (at all) will result in the vehicle being totaled; maybe because there are no parts 🤷‍♂️. Please, for the love of god buy the optional insurance. You don't want that bill (big oof).

Overall Experience
The offer to rent a Tesla is just launching so I'm sure there will be some quirks. I think the best way to make it better is with feedback so I hope this (and other reviews) makes the rounds ☺️ The vehicle drove great per usual, my friends LOVED it, and I made plenty of people smile with my fun horn sounds (bow bow bow bowwwwwww - DJ sound haha) - except the old people, the majority of them gave me either a bad look or the bird. OK BOOMER haha. The Mustang and Camaro are fun but I will 💯 be renting a Tesla next time I need a rental.

I'm sure I left something things out - please feel free to ask ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
I rented a Tesla Model 3 from Orlando Florida International Airport - here are my thoughts 😏

Preface
According to the Hertz employees that I spoke with, Saturday December 11, 2021 was the third day that they had had them available for rent. I started the rental process just like any other by going to the Hertz desk to check in. The process was the same as any other car, verify information, make payment, etc. I was sent to the "Gold" area near where you pick up the car to get the key card for my vehicle. The woman I spoke to was not familiar with the fact that Tesla's were available and advised "...head to the Gold row and select any car...". I thought wow they must have a lot of Teslas to choose from however this is where some of the confusion started. There were a few Model 3s parked in the "Premium" parking spots but none in Gold. Nevertheless, after a short walk around and not seeing any in that area I headed back to ask for clarification where I asked again about my Tesla rental. I was told that Tesla's aren't available for rent yet, despite my reservation. The staff was very understanding in helping me after I showed my receipt for the Model 3 rental. If you decide to rent a Tesla, I would recommend having your receipt that shows the word "Tesla Model 3" on it 😉

Getting the Key
I was given a single key card for the vehicle and asked if I knew how to operate a Tesla. I own a Model 3 and advised them of this so they sent me on my way. Side note; I have NO IDEA what procedures Hertz regarding showing people how to operate a Tesla. It is pretty intuitive however I can say that I have had some friends drive mine (...back home 👀) and everyone is either intimidated or confused for the first few drives; and they had me in the passenger seat as an instructor. I will say that when I reserved the vehicle I believe I received an email with details/a link to Tesla's site where they have instructions on how to operate the vehicle. I know people who OWN A TESLA that still don't know how to fully operate them. Nevertheless, I digress - it will be interesting to see how that all works out, especially at airports 😂

No Phone Key 🥲
This was kinda of a big deal for me and honestly kind of annoying. Driving a Model 3 for a year, I've become accustomed to never having to unlock or lock my vehicle. I'm also very used to being able to open frunk/trunk from my phone, start the climate remotely, and of course the classic badass walking away from the car with the windows down and then they roll up while the car locks 😎. I found myself fumbling with the key-card all the time which is enclosed in an annoying Hertz plastic protective case. Unlock, lock, start, yeah yeah big deal - first world Tesla problem but that's just it, that's part of owning a Tesla; the ease of use and how intuitive it is. I wish renting was the same! The key card has always been a backup and using it as the primary method of operating the vehicle was a big 👎.

Guest Phone Key Feature 🙏 (NEEDED!)
In my opinion, there should be a phone key guest feature where I can scan the QR code on the front windshield and enter my Hertz confirmation number through my Tesla app to get “guest access” to the vehicle; or send me an email link, etc. Then, when I return my vehicle the guest access is withdrawn. As a developer (I code 🤓) I was very frustrated at the lack of this feature in that I feel like it should be pretty trivial to set up. I would imagine most of the infrastructure is already there. Elonnnnn 🙏

Setup (Wait What?)
I was the first renter of my Model 3 with 8 miles on the odometer - LETS GOO! The car defaulted with some settings that I think should be on by default. Auto Pilot had to be enabled in the settings (while in park, because thats more distracting than playing solitaire while in motion 🙄) along with Joe mode (please tell me you turn down that dang ding ding sound with this setting 😂). This was a quick fix for me though; not sure others would know how to do this - or engage auto-pilot at all now that I think about it haha! The glove box was locked with a pin that I was not given. I didn't realize this until after leaving Hertz. Maybe we don't get access 🥺 or maybe I was supposed to be given it when picking up the vehicle. The trunk and frunk were accessible though and I think the charger was in the back - don't know if they checked that I didn't steal it 😬 (I didn't).

Returning The Vehicle 😒 (Don't call me at 4AM)
I returned my vehicle at ~1AM after a night of sweet Auto Piloting around downtown Orlando. The process was the same as any rental except for the aggressive phone call I got at 4:01 AM (which I didn't answer because it's 4AM…). The voicemail read something like “...we have a Tesla over here that you rented that does not have a key in it. Please come back asap with the key so we do not charge you a fee…”. I left the key (card) in the car in plain sight. I believe the problem may have been that the person moving the cars around from the drop off area didnt know how to operate the Tesla with the key. Not our problem but the 4AM call for sure is 😐 - pro tip Hertz, don't do that, like ever in a million years; it's unprofessional and annoying. If the key really wasn't there, my bad charge me but 4AM is unacceptable to call someone for that reason.

Charging (Free 99 Baby!)
Hertz covers the charging cost (awesome!). If I'm not mistaken they just asked that you return the vehicle with at least 10% charge; easy. Side note - I’ve never had to wait at a charging station but I did during my rental here in Orlando Florida. There are a ton of EVs here in Orlando and I cant imagine how its going to be with more and more rentals on the road; actually I can, chaos and frustration. The charging infrastructure will definitely need to be expanded because of Hertz’s new acquisition and more people owning EVs.

Rumors and Inside Scoop
I was told that any damage to the vehicle (at all) will result in the vehicle being totaled; maybe because there are no parts 🤷‍♂️. Please, for the love of god buy the optional insurance. You don't want that bill (big oof).

Overall Experience
The offer to rent a Tesla is just launching so I'm sure there will be some quirks. I think the best way to make it better is with feedback so I hope this (and other reviews) makes the rounds ☺️ The vehicle drove great per usual, my friends LOVED it, and I made plenty of people smile with my fun horn sounds (bow bow bow bowwwwwww - DJ sound haha) - except the old people, the majority of them gave me either a bad look or the bird. OK BOOMER haha. The Mustang and Camaro are fun but I will 💯 be renting a Tesla next time I need a rental.

I'm sure I left something things out - please feel free to ask ☺️
While the credit card you use to pay for the rental almost always carries rental car insurance (so ALWAYS decline the rental company's optional/way-over-priced coverage), it may be worth a call to your CC company to see how they handle this "dent = totaled" BS. Probably uncharted territory and likely 3 calls to the CC company will yield 3 different answers.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Great report! Thanks for taking one for the team! ;)

One critical thing you didn't mention is the cost. I assume it's unreasonably expensive and this should mitigate many of your concerns about random bozos just jumping into these things at the airport with no prior knowledge.

Tesla is already implementing "cloud profiles" that will carry your preferences from car to car and they are surely planning to integrate not only your phone key, but your seat/mirror/music/climate settings into rentals as well. It'll be pretty sweet someday but yeah, it sucks that you get nothing but the card for now.

New cars default with both Autopilot and Joe mode disabled so Hertz probably didn't change anything there. The glovebox PIN might have been from an employee messing around with it, or maybe Hertz just locks it so that you won't put your own PIN in there.

Great report! Thanks for taking one for the team! ;)

One critical thing you didn't mention is the cost. I assume it's unreasonably expensive and this should mitigate many of your concerns about random bozos just jumping into these things at the airport with no prior knowledge.

Tesla is already implementing "cloud profiles" that will carry your preferences from car to car and they are surely planning to integrate not only your phone key, but your seat/mirror/music/climate settings into rentals as well. It'll be pretty sweet someday but yeah, it sucks that you get nothing but the card for now.

New cars default with both Autopilot and Joe mode disabled so Hertz probably didn't change anything there. The glovebox PIN might have been from an employee messing around with it, or maybe Hertz just locks it so that you won't put your own PIN in there.
I attached my receipt w/full breakdown from Hertz. I checked the cost for my buddy to rent it for 3 days (he wants to see what it’s like to daily it) and it was ~$160 before tax and extras.
08D557FE-C7F0-498D-8F4A-787AD7D45B28.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I attached my receipt w/full breakdown from Hertz. I checked the cost for my buddy to rent it for 3 days (he wants to see what it’s like to daily it) and it was ~$160 before tax and extras.

How is your buddy getting $160 for 3 days when the rental cost on the top of your receipt is $119 a day?

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and KenC
I assume you mean per day, correct? And it looks like you included the insurance adders you said were basically required…. Not bad, I think I paid about 180 a day for a premium suv last time I rented a car from hert, but I didn’t opt in for any of the insurance.
For an SR that's quite expensive per day compared to a premium SUV. With all insurance and adders you are looking at around $500 for 3 days...Turo would be the way to go here!

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
s
For an SR that's quite expensive per day compared to a premium SUV. With all insurance and adders you are looking at around $500 for 3 days...Turo would be the way to go here!

No, the 160 is with the adders I think. Look at the received, the base price is 119, the. If you add the insurance it goes up to around 160. The suv was like 180 w/o adders.

What happens if you crash a Tesla on Turo?