Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Rental Experience [review of renting a model 3 from Hertz]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rented a Tesla Model 3 from Orlando Florida International Airport - here are my thoughts 😏

it's cold out here

Preface
According to the Hertz employees that I spoke with, Saturday December 11, 2021 was the third day that they had had them available for rent. I started the rental process just like any other by going to the Hertz desk to check in. The process was the same as any other car, verify information, make payment, etc. I was sent to the "Gold" area near where you pick up the car to get the key card for my vehicle. The woman I spoke to was not familiar with the fact that Tesla's were available and advised "...head to the Gold row and select any car...". I thought wow they must have a lot of Teslas to choose from however this is where some of the confusion started. There were a few Model 3s parked in the "Premium" parking spots but none in Gold. Nevertheless, after a short walk around and not seeing any in that area I headed back to ask for clarification where I asked again about my Tesla rental. I was told that Tesla's aren't available for rent yet, despite my reservation. The staff was very understanding in helping me after I showed my receipt for the Model 3 rental. If you decide to rent a Tesla, I would recommend having your receipt that shows the word "Tesla Model 3" on it 😉

Getting the Key
I was given a single key card for the vehicle and asked if I knew how to operate a Tesla. I own a Model 3 and advised them of this so they sent me on my way. Side note; I have NO IDEA what procedures Hertz regarding showing people how to operate a Tesla. It is pretty intuitive however I can say that I have had some friends drive mine (...back home 👀) and everyone is either intimidated or confused for the first few drives; and they had me in the passenger seat as an instructor. I will say that when I reserved the vehicle I believe I received an email with details/a link to Tesla's site where they have instructions on how to operate the vehicle. I know people who OWN A TESLA that still don't know how to fully operate them. Nevertheless, I digress - it will be interesting to see how that all works out, especially at airports 😂

No Phone Key 🥲
This was kinda of a big deal for me and honestly kind of annoying. Driving a Model 3 for a year, I've become accustomed to never having to unlock or lock my vehicle. I'm also very used to being able to open frunk/trunk from my phone, start the climate remotely, and of course the classic badass walking away from the car with the windows down and then they roll up while the car locks 😎. I found myself fumbling with the key-card all the time which is enclosed in an annoying Hertz plastic protective case. Unlock, lock, start, yeah yeah big deal - first world Tesla problem but that's just it, that's part of owning a Tesla; the ease of use and how intuitive it is. I wish renting was the same! The key card has always been a backup and using it as the primary method of operating the vehicle was a big 👎.

Guest Phone Key Feature 🙏 (NEEDED!)
In my opinion, there should be a phone key guest feature where I can scan the QR code on the front windshield and enter my Hertz confirmation number through my Tesla app to get “guest access” to the vehicle; or send me an email link, etc. Then, when I return my vehicle the guest access is withdrawn. As a developer (I code 🤓) I was very frustrated at the lack of this feature in that I feel like it should be pretty trivial to set up. I would imagine most of the infrastructure is already there. Elonnnnn 🙏

Setup (Wait What?)
I was the first renter of my Model 3 with 8 miles on the odometer - LETS GOO! The car defaulted with some settings that I think should be on by default. Auto Pilot had to be enabled in the settings (while in park, because thats more distracting than playing solitaire while in motion 🙄) along with Joe mode (please tell me you turn down that dang ding ding sound with this setting 😂). This was a quick fix for me though; not sure others would know how to do this - or engage auto-pilot at all now that I think about it haha! The glove box was locked with a pin that I was not given. I didn't realize this until after leaving Hertz. Maybe we don't get access 🥺 or maybe I was supposed to be given it when picking up the vehicle. The trunk and frunk were accessible though and I think the charger was in the back - don't know if they checked that I didn't steal it 😬 (I didn't).

welcomeFromTheNortheast.png

Returning The Vehicle 😒 (Don't call me at 4AM)
I returned my vehicle at ~1AM after a night of sweet Auto Piloting around downtown Orlando. The process was the same as any rental except for the aggressive phone call I got at 4:01 AM (which I didn't answer because it's 4AM…). The voicemail read something like “...we have a Tesla over here that you rented that does not have a key in it. Please come back asap with the key so we do not charge you a fee…”. I left the key (card) in the car in plain sight. I believe the problem may have been that the person moving the cars around from the drop off area didnt know how to operate the Tesla with the key. Not our problem but the 4AM call for sure is 😐 - pro tip Hertz, don't do that, like ever in a million years; it's unprofessional and annoying. If the key really wasn't there, my bad charge me but 4AM is unacceptable to call someone for that reason.

Charging (Free 99 Baby!)
Hertz covers the charging cost (awesome!). If I'm not mistaken they just asked that you return the vehicle with at least 10% charge; easy. Side note - I’ve never had to wait at a charging station but I did during my rental here in Orlando Florida. There are a ton of EVs here in Orlando and I cant imagine how its going to be with more and more rentals on the road; actually I can, chaos and frustration. The charging infrastructure will definitely need to be expanded because of Hertz’s new acquisition and more people owning EVs.

Rumors and Inside Scoop
I was told that any damage to the vehicle (at all) will result in the vehicle being totaled; maybe because there are no parts 🤷‍♂️. Please, for the love of god buy the optional insurance. You don't want that bill (big oof).

Overall Experience
The offer to rent a Tesla is just launching so I'm sure there will be some quirks. I think the best way to make it better is with feedback so I hope this (and other reviews) makes the rounds ☺️ The vehicle drove great per usual, my friends LOVED it, and I made plenty of people smile with my fun horn sounds (bow bow bow bowwwwwww - DJ sound haha) - except the old people, the majority of them gave me either a bad look or the bird. OK BOOMER haha. The Mustang and Camaro are fun but I will 💯 be renting a Tesla next time I need a rental.

I'm sure I left something things out - please feel free to ask ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't do it because of the cost but the key fob would be more 'normal' the the Tesla noobs
I think they could afford the fob by just charging a couple of dollars a day more. A fob is $150 or so. My wife likes them so we have one for our 3.

But, perhaps Hertz has a way of programming cards like hotels do with room keys. That would make them a lot easier to replace if lost or misplaced.

You have to buy insurance when renting via Turo. Turo provides multiple insurance options.
With Turo most insurance companies will NOT cover the rental because it is from a private individual. Check your own insurance.
With credit cards there is much greater variability. Check you individual car agreement rental car terms.
Having done both Hertz and Turo often I also recommend checking your own insurance terms about vehicle rental. Mine, for example, does cover Tesla because my own insured vehicle is a Tesla; my understanding is that they will NOT cover a Tesla renal unless the insured vehicle is also a Tesla. YMMV!

Regarding smartphone key for rental cars. The Teslender app.
Solves the problems easily.
Many Tesla Turo lenders and many non-euro rental companies use the app. It will be a trivial process to set up a Hertz-branded similar app, or even license the Teslander one.
I really cannot believe they've not done that yet.

^^ This is important info. And also, some credit cards only provide comprehensive coverage and not collision. It's one of the million reasons I use the chase sapphire reserve card, I travel a ton, and they state clearly in their brochure that you should deny the rental car company's coverage and pay for the rental with your card, and they will be the primary insurer for comp/collision for you on the rental.

There's not a single complaint I could make against this card from chase/their service. We've spent close to $500k on it over the years and never had a single issue on anything. Even when we had to do a $20k chargeback a few years ago, there were zero problems with the process. Absolutely recommend it.
I have had the card for years. It has great benefits one being a $300 per year travel credit of which rental cars count.

I have had the card for years. It has great benefits one being a $300 per year travel credit of which rental cars count.
It truly is the best card in my wallet. Hope you got the 100k signup bonus back when the card launched. I also have the United Presidential Plus (which was formerly a Continental Airlines card .. that's how long I've had it) card ... also from Chase, carries lots of great benefits... but the benefits guide for the PPlus card very clearly says Teslas aren't covered.

The Sapphire Reserve does not have that verbiage.

Wild how two similar cards, from the same card issuer, can diverge like that. All coverage is clearly NOT the same; it behooves all of us to read those benefits guides very carefully!

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
The glovebox PIN might have been from an employee messing around with it, or maybe Hertz just locks it so that you won't put your own PIN in there.

The glovebox in my Hertz ATL M3 rental last month was also PIN locked. This is not due to “an employee messing around with it” - but some specific companywide plan (like keeping renters from locking Hertz out of the glovebox with some random PIN as you suggest.)

ATL Hertz had an employee stationed at the entrance to their garage pointing people in the right direction, and immediately pointed me to the Gold booth to pick up my key. No wild goose chase. 60 seconds in and out (“Them: have you driven a Tesla before? Me: I own one. Them: (hands over key) enjoy your trip!”)

Edited to add: I didn’t think at the time to try something potentially simple for the glovebox PIN like the last four of the VIN, but I wouldn’t be surprised in Hertz locations are using a common PIN for all Teslas at their location. Even Hertz company-wide might make sense, until the “default PIN” got out. I’m guessing it’s unique per vehicle for obvious reasons but something simple like a certain number on the keycard tag so someone doesn’t have to go hunting for it.

So what’s in the glovebox then? The registration, surely, which hopefully you don’t need if in an accident.

Attachments

• D85274E4-E207-426B-9888-C599109F6CEA.jpeg
    D85274E4-E207-426B-9888-C599109F6CEA.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Maybe Hertz can have something in their app that gives your phone the ability to be the key. That way when you return the car, the app disables access to the car.
TURO Teslas I have rented always let me use the phone app. They simply delete you when the rental is over. Hertz has a learning curve...
Remember, they are the folks who put give you two keys so you have a spare if you lose one.
OOOPS! they are both on the same crimped closed aircraft cable. ..

• Funny
Reactions: chrstna4
Free charging as you can drive "unlimited" miles for the rental time and not pay a dime for "filling up" ? Thank you for the write up.
Are we sure they don't bill you after the rental is over for charging, as they do for tolls, parking tickets, etc?
As cheap as Hertz is (corporation, not their rates), I can't believe you won't pay for "fuel".

Are we sure they don't bill you after the rental is over for charging, as they do for tolls, parking tickets, etc?
As cheap as Hertz is (corporation, not their rates), I can't believe you won't pay for "fuel".

My wife and I rental a Model 3 in Miami last week, and we had a "Tesla Rebill" line on our final invoice for the little bit of supercharging we did. (We stayed at two different hotels that had destination charging, so most of our electricity was free.) Picked it up with 85% state of charge, and we only had to return it with 10%, but we ended up returning it in the mid 30% range.

Overall, our Hertz rental was a good experience. The only color they had was red, and they parked the Teslas next to the Porsches, so they are definitely playing up the premium, sporty angle.

We got a 10% discount for 6 days, and even with over $150 of various "taxes and fees", it ended up being a little less than $175 a day. I wouldn't normally have splurged on such an expensive rental, but it was our 25th wedding anniversary trip.

Only getting a key card, instead of getting to connect it to your Tesla phone app temporarily was annoying. Because of the heat, we ending up turning on Dog Mode so the car wouldn't be so hot when we got back to it; if it was in our app, we could have just turned the air on when we were almost back to the car.

The glovebox in my Hertz ATL M3 rental last month was also PIN locked. This is not due to “an employee messing around with it” - but some specific companywide plan (like keeping renters from locking Hertz out of the glovebox with some random PIN as you suggest.)

ATL Hertz had an employee stationed at the entrance to their garage pointing people in the right direction, and immediately pointed me to the Gold booth to pick up my key. No wild goose chase. 60 seconds in and out (“Them: have you driven a Tesla before? Me: I own one. Them: (hands over key) enjoy your trip!”)

Edited to add: I didn’t think at the time to try something potentially simple for the glovebox PIN like the last four of the VIN, but I wouldn’t be surprised in Hertz locations are using a common PIN for all Teslas at their location. Even Hertz company-wide might make sense, until the “default PIN” got out. I’m guessing it’s unique per vehicle for obvious reasons but something simple like a certain number on the keycard tag so someone doesn’t have to go hunting for it.

So what’s in the glovebox then? The registration, surely, which hopefully you don’t need if in an accident.
I once rented one with glove box lock, I try all possible combination, none works... They lock the glove box so the USB drive don't get taken?

Also they check if the charging cable is there when return, now the new car is deliver without the charger cable.. so make sure you note that if the car don't come with it otherwise it will be problem when returning.

Reactions: drdumont
My wife and I rental a Model 3 in Miami last week, and we had a "Tesla Rebill" line on our final invoice for the little bit of supercharging we did. (We stayed at two different hotels that had destination charging, so most of our electricity was free.) Picked it up with 85% state of charge, and we only had to return it with 10%, but we ended up returning it in the mid 30% range.

Overall, our Hertz rental was a good experience. The only color they had was red, and they parked the Teslas next to the Porsches, so they are definitely playing up the premium, sporty angle.

We got a 10% discount for 6 days, and even with over $150 of various "taxes and fees", it ended up being a little less than $175 a day. I wouldn't normally have splurged on such an expensive rental, but it was our 25th wedding anniversary trip.

Only getting a key card, instead of getting to connect it to your Tesla phone app temporarily was annoying. Because of the heat, we ending up turning on Dog Mode so the car wouldn't be so hot when we got back to it; if it was in our app, we could have just turned the air on when we were almost back to the car.
That’s insane. I’ve been seeing rates in the $50-80/day range for these cars.