Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Rental Experience [review of renting a model 3 from Hertz]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rented a Tesla Model 3 from Orlando Florida International Airport - here are my thoughts 😏

it's cold out here

Preface
According to the Hertz employees that I spoke with, Saturday December 11, 2021 was the third day that they had had them available for rent. I started the rental process just like any other by going to the Hertz desk to check in. The process was the same as any other car, verify information, make payment, etc. I was sent to the "Gold" area near where you pick up the car to get the key card for my vehicle. The woman I spoke to was not familiar with the fact that Tesla's were available and advised "...head to the Gold row and select any car...". I thought wow they must have a lot of Teslas to choose from however this is where some of the confusion started. There were a few Model 3s parked in the "Premium" parking spots but none in Gold. Nevertheless, after a short walk around and not seeing any in that area I headed back to ask for clarification where I asked again about my Tesla rental. I was told that Tesla's aren't available for rent yet, despite my reservation. The staff was very understanding in helping me after I showed my receipt for the Model 3 rental. If you decide to rent a Tesla, I would recommend having your receipt that shows the word "Tesla Model 3" on it 😉

Getting the Key
I was given a single key card for the vehicle and asked if I knew how to operate a Tesla. I own a Model 3 and advised them of this so they sent me on my way. Side note; I have NO IDEA what procedures Hertz regarding showing people how to operate a Tesla. It is pretty intuitive however I can say that I have had some friends drive mine (...back home 👀) and everyone is either intimidated or confused for the first few drives; and they had me in the passenger seat as an instructor. I will say that when I reserved the vehicle I believe I received an email with details/a link to Tesla's site where they have instructions on how to operate the vehicle. I know people who OWN A TESLA that still don't know how to fully operate them. Nevertheless, I digress - it will be interesting to see how that all works out, especially at airports 😂

No Phone Key 🥲
This was kinda of a big deal for me and honestly kind of annoying. Driving a Model 3 for a year, I've become accustomed to never having to unlock or lock my vehicle. I'm also very used to being able to open frunk/trunk from my phone, start the climate remotely, and of course the classic badass walking away from the car with the windows down and then they roll up while the car locks 😎. I found myself fumbling with the key-card all the time which is enclosed in an annoying Hertz plastic protective case. Unlock, lock, start, yeah yeah big deal - first world Tesla problem but that's just it, that's part of owning a Tesla; the ease of use and how intuitive it is. I wish renting was the same! The key card has always been a backup and using it as the primary method of operating the vehicle was a big 👎.

Guest Phone Key Feature 🙏 (NEEDED!)
In my opinion, there should be a phone key guest feature where I can scan the QR code on the front windshield and enter my Hertz confirmation number through my Tesla app to get “guest access” to the vehicle; or send me an email link, etc. Then, when I return my vehicle the guest access is withdrawn. As a developer (I code 🤓) I was very frustrated at the lack of this feature in that I feel like it should be pretty trivial to set up. I would imagine most of the infrastructure is already there. Elonnnnn 🙏

Setup (Wait What?)
I was the first renter of my Model 3 with 8 miles on the odometer - LETS GOO! The car defaulted with some settings that I think should be on by default. Auto Pilot had to be enabled in the settings (while in park, because thats more distracting than playing solitaire while in motion 🙄) along with Joe mode (please tell me you turn down that dang ding ding sound with this setting 😂). This was a quick fix for me though; not sure others would know how to do this - or engage auto-pilot at all now that I think about it haha! The glove box was locked with a pin that I was not given. I didn't realize this until after leaving Hertz. Maybe we don't get access 🥺 or maybe I was supposed to be given it when picking up the vehicle. The trunk and frunk were accessible though and I think the charger was in the back - don't know if they checked that I didn't steal it 😬 (I didn't).

welcomeFromTheNortheast.png

Returning The Vehicle 😒 (Don't call me at 4AM)
I returned my vehicle at ~1AM after a night of sweet Auto Piloting around downtown Orlando. The process was the same as any rental except for the aggressive phone call I got at 4:01 AM (which I didn't answer because it's 4AM…). The voicemail read something like “...we have a Tesla over here that you rented that does not have a key in it. Please come back asap with the key so we do not charge you a fee…”. I left the key (card) in the car in plain sight. I believe the problem may have been that the person moving the cars around from the drop off area didnt know how to operate the Tesla with the key. Not our problem but the 4AM call for sure is 😐 - pro tip Hertz, don't do that, like ever in a million years; it's unprofessional and annoying. If the key really wasn't there, my bad charge me but 4AM is unacceptable to call someone for that reason.

Charging (Free 99 Baby!)
Hertz covers the charging cost (awesome!). If I'm not mistaken they just asked that you return the vehicle with at least 10% charge; easy. Side note - I’ve never had to wait at a charging station but I did during my rental here in Orlando Florida. There are a ton of EVs here in Orlando and I cant imagine how its going to be with more and more rentals on the road; actually I can, chaos and frustration. The charging infrastructure will definitely need to be expanded because of Hertz’s new acquisition and more people owning EVs.

Rumors and Inside Scoop
I was told that any damage to the vehicle (at all) will result in the vehicle being totaled; maybe because there are no parts 🤷‍♂️. Please, for the love of god buy the optional insurance. You don't want that bill (big oof).

Overall Experience
The offer to rent a Tesla is just launching so I'm sure there will be some quirks. I think the best way to make it better is with feedback so I hope this (and other reviews) makes the rounds ☺️ The vehicle drove great per usual, my friends LOVED it, and I made plenty of people smile with my fun horn sounds (bow bow bow bowwwwwww - DJ sound haha) - except the old people, the majority of them gave me either a bad look or the bird. OK BOOMER haha. The Mustang and Camaro are fun but I will 💯 be renting a Tesla next time I need a rental.

I'm sure I left something things out - please feel free to ask ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
Most CC’s define their rental car coverage as secondary to your own auto insurance policy.

Unless you’re using one of the few CCs that are primary, their policy is pretty much irrelevant.

That's what's so frustrating about the Chase plan I listed above ... it excludes Teslas, but it is a *primary* policy for damage to the rental vehicle. If you hit someone else, your personal insurance kicks in.

(See page 3 of the attachment above ...)

Most CC’s define their rental car coverage as secondary to your own auto insurance policy.

Unless you’re using one of the few CCs that are primary, their policy is pretty much irrelevant.
^^ This is important info. And also, some credit cards only provide comprehensive coverage and not collision. It's one of the million reasons I use the chase sapphire reserve card, I travel a ton, and they state clearly in their brochure that you should deny the rental car company's coverage and pay for the rental with your card, and they will be the primary insurer for comp/collision for you on the rental.

There's not a single complaint I could make against this card from chase/their service. We've spent close to $500k on it over the years and never had a single issue on anything. Even when we had to do a $20k chargeback a few years ago, there were zero problems with the process. Absolutely recommend it.

How is your buddy getting $160 for 3 days when the rental cost on the top of your receipt is $119 a day?
I'm honestly not sure. If I had to guess I'd bet there is a minimum earned premium on renting each car, like a base rate; and then each day is an extra small charge with weekends and holidays maybe being weighed more expensive. Here is a screenshot from their website showing this the setup for my buddy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 10.24.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 10.24.08 PM.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 239
^^ This is important info. And also, some credit cards only provide comprehensive coverage and not collision. It's one of the million reasons I use the chase sapphire reserve card, I travel a ton, and they state clearly in their brochure that you should deny the rental car company's coverage and pay for the rental with your card, and they will be the primary insurer for comp/collision for you on the rental.

There's not a single complaint I could make against this card from chase/their service. We've spent close to $500k on it over the years and never had a single issue on anything. Even when we had to do a $20k chargeback a few years ago, there were zero problems with the process. Absolutely recommend it.
Do I hear a fellow insurance agent haha? This is a great point! Also, I have seen cases where the renters personal auto policy would have covered the damage done however there was a line in the rental agreement that read something like ~"...any damage to the vehicle will result in it being totaled..." maybe similar to the way the Tesla agreement is? Because the personal auto policy (at least here in MA) does not work this way, i.e. they will fix what can be fixed unless it really is totaled, the policy did not pay and the renter was stuck paying the loss.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation
The downside is that the renters can’t use the Tesla app to track occupancy or charge status.

Yes, they could download the app and, with location services on (iPhone only right now), see the nearby chargers and their capacity but they would have to know to do that and they wouldn’t get alerts or info associated with their rental’s SOC.

So, since the renter won’t have a credit card on file with Tesla, does that mean they have to take Hertz at their word when they pass through (or inflate) an idle charge upon return or days/weeks later? What if a renter is a Tesla owner with CC on file, could they associate the rental with their account and bypass Hertz? When it comes to toll transponders, that doesn’t work unless you have them physically remove their unit from the vehicle when you bring your own so I doubt they disassociate the VIN from their corporate CC in favor of a renter’s unless Tesla writes that into the code for portable profiles.

Hope that all gets hammered out before Hertz ends the free charging otherwise it’ll be like paying in advance for the return tank of gas. An inflated rate so Hertz can realize a profit disguised as something to offset the extra cost of airport adjacent fuel (energy) and labor costs for time to fuel up.

I guess with no app access you'd have to set a conservative time limit on you phone and hope for the best
Quite hard to do if you've got no supercharger experience or Tesla knowledge
Or resign your self to sitting in the car, which might be exciting the first few times.....until you've run out of fart sounds
and beach buggy becomes boring

This would be akin to comparing pulling into a gas station, filling up the car and letting it sit there. I completely understand the idle fee issue, it's meant to expedite the turnover of 'filling stations' so more people use them more efficiently.
Yep. I got the year end deal last year for 1 whole year of free supercharging and the idle fees are not free (not that I ever reach the point of needing to pay, but I see the warning message all the time).

The downside is that the renters can’t use the Tesla app to track occupancy or charge status.

Yes, they could download the app and, with location services on (iPhone only right now), see the nearby chargers and their capacity but they would have to know to do that and they wouldn’t get alerts or info associated with their rental’s SOC.

So, since the renter won’t have a credit card on file with Tesla, does that mean they have to take Hertz at their word when they pass through (or inflate) an idle charge upon return or days/weeks later? What if a renter is a Tesla owner with CC on file, could they associate the rental with their account and bypass Hertz? When it comes to toll transponders, that doesn’t work unless you have them physically remove their unit from the vehicle when you bring your own so I doubt they disassociate the VIN from their corporate CC in favor of a renter’s unless Tesla writes that into the code for portable profiles.

Hope that all gets hammered out before Hertz ends the free charging otherwise it’ll be like paying in advance for the return tank of gas. An inflated rate so Hertz can realize a profit disguised as something to offset the extra cost of airport adjacent fuel (energy) and labor costs for time to fuel up.
That's a fair point, but the time estimate the screen gives is already conservative in my experience. I haven't seen it be faster than the time it estimates. That plus the grace period probably is enough for most people if they plan around it. The bigger problem might be people not being aware of idle fees, so it's up to Hertz educating renters on that point or having a notice.

It would be same on Turo, they just aren’t being up front about it. If there aren’t parts there arent parts.

I think we have all see how a small amount of damage on a Tesla can turn into a totaled Tesla pretty quickly.
Likely the same conditions, but just not as expensive as Hertz. I am surprised they are as expensive as they are.

Last edited:
I have a reservatio at MCO for Feb 5-11 all in for $347 (no additional insurance or other). It apparently includes a corporate discount I’m getting as a travel industry employee but is only $100 more than the full size I also have rented. Free supercharging is supposed to sunset by then so I’ll need to learn how they do that - am assuming after the fact like toll-by-plate. Not sure I’ll keep the rez but grabbed it while I could.

View attachment 744493
Did you read the fine print when renting that Model 3 from Hertz? Charging on them, awesome! But wait, idle fees excluded. With idle fees at ~$1/hr I see a lot of unhappy people in the future #newbs #whatsAnIdleFee
I doubt the average family going to Disney World is going to rent a Tesla unless they are really interested, and have looked into it. Most Tesla owners have the courtesy to move after it's charged.

I pay for the insurance on rental cars. A several thousand dollar vacation, and for a couple hundred dollars I can turn the car in and walk away. You don't have to worry about some loser hitting you in a parking lot and driving away. To me it's cheap peace of mind.

But wait, idle fees excluded. With idle fees at ~$1/hr I see a lot of unhappy people in the future #newbs #whatsAnIdleFee
$1/hr??...I think you'll find that is PER MINUTE when the chargers are fully ocuppied...$0.50/min when not fully occupied...that could add up to some $30-60/HR in fees! For the unaware this will be quite a shock. I think it may be time for Tesla to put up signs at their charging stations

Reactions: drdumont