Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Rental Model 3 - which battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to help a friend who is a non-Tesla owner plan a road trip with a rental Hertz Model 3 using A Better Route Planner. Does anyone know if the Hertz cars have the LFP batteries or not (or if they have both in the fleet)?

Just wondering what the difference would be with or without LFP batteries, especially with a rental. You can't tell sitting in the car or driving down the road what kind of batteries you have. Unless you're buying, and most times not even then, the type of battery doesn't change anything. Drive the car and enjoy it. The battery is warranted for eight years. You'll never get even close to wearing it out on a trip and it will still beat cars through the intersection at the signal. My wife has the single motor Model 3 and IT STILL beats everyone at the light, without even trying. Don't even know which battery it has, but being 3 years old, I doubt it's LFP, whatever. And, of COURSE, we all need the dual motor, for whatever reason. The car is already faster than most anything you'll meet out there, and racing sixteen-year-old kids is a pretty silly way to prove your manhood (I don't hear of many women who think they have to prove something, probably because they're smarter).

Just wondering what the difference would be with or without LFP batteries, especially with a rental. You can't tell sitting in the car or driving down the road what kind of batteries you have. Unless you're buying, and most times not even then, the type of battery doesn't change anything. Drive the car and enjoy it. The battery is warranted for eight years. You'll never get even close to wearing it out on a trip and it will still beat cars through the intersection at the signal. My wife has the single motor Model 3 and IT STILL beats everyone at the light, without even trying. Don't even know which battery it has, but being 3 years old, I doubt it's LFP, whatever. And, of COURSE, we all need the dual motor, for whatever reason. The car is already faster than most anything you'll meet out there, and racing sixteen-year-old kids is a pretty silly way to prove your manhood (I don't hear of many women who think they have to prove something, probably because they're smarter).
If he’s planning a long road trip with it then the SR+/RWD has a shorter maximum range and also slower peak charge rates so that absolutely factors in to planning.

Reactions: 804son

He was just asking what kind of battery it has, maybe because he was planning a road trip and charging infrastructure is limited where he's going.

No need to bring boomer vibes in here.

To answer the question asked above... I'm asking because ABRP has options to select either the 2021 "Standard Range Plus (beta)" or the 2021 "Standard Range Plus LFP (beta)" as the car model. While it probably only makes a small difference, I expect the route planning will be more accurate if it's based on the correct model. ABRP also lists a 2022 "Standard 60 kWh (alpha)".

My friend has a large Ram pickup truck that he uses for work, and with current gas prices it's much cheaper for him to rent the M3 for the trip rather than use the truck, plus I think he's looking forward to the chance to try an EV.

NCA being the Nickel Cobalt Aluminum version of a lithium ion battery. LPF (more commonly known as LiFePO4) being the Lithium Iron Phosphate version of a lithium ion battery. There are other variations, as well.

To the OP’s question, I believe all of the Hertz RWD vehicles are LFP, since, as mentioned earlier, they started taking delivery after Tesla transitioned to LFP.