Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Tesla rental at FRA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While booking a Hertz rental car for an upcoming trip to Germany, I noticed that they have a Model 3 LR for what looks like a decent price. It has a limit of 150 km per rental day, which wouldn’t be issue for my needs. Does anyone here have experience with this?

The website claims that “reasonable use of supercharging network” is included in the rental price. My trip would take me to a more rural part of the country where the nearest SC is 30-40 kilometers away. Does anyone know if Hertz vehicles have a mobile EVSE for L1/L2 charging from a regular 220v outlet? The description also mentions a Shell Recharge fob. They seem to have a number of L2 and L3 stations (unfortunately the app isn’t available in the US App Store, though).

I just came back from a trip to Germany last week and I can confirm that the car comes with a level 1 charging cable (for a standard 230 V Schuko outlet) as well as with a cable for level 2 charging (level 2 charging stations in Germany don't have a cable attached, it's basically just an outlet).
The best part is that the superchargers in Germany don't use the Tesla specific plug, so you can either use a supercharger or any other L3 charger. They all use CCS.
Viel Spaß in Deutschland :).

Attachments

• 20220417_172329.jpg
    20220417_172329.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 220
I don't think you need to sign up for anything. They gave me a New Motion card so I could charge at all their chargers. The rental agency charged me 0.12 €/km for electricity and that was it. No cost for supercharger or New Motion charger usage on top of that. The latter ones seem to be pretty common. Once you arrive in Germany you can install the "Shell Recharge" app and look up the charging locations. They claim that they have 275.000 charging stations across Europe.
I did charge at one of their DC charging stations and had no issues at all. I wish my M3 had a native CCS connector so I could give the new supercharger pricing system the finger.