Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

He's bored with his Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An article I never came across in the four months I've been reading the site. In fact, I read a number of good articles about Tesla from them, which led me to my current learning adventure. I can understand a statement like that would be looked down upon here!

Well, they've had to backtrack from their original position, but you can hear them sound like complete dorks in "The Revenge of the Electric Car".

He thinks he's bored now. Wait until all cars drive themselves, you can't drive them due to liability, and they are owned by corporations. There might be one lane left for freight and rebels but they will be going 55mph at best. My 2mil$ transporter gets me anywhere on the plant in 3 seconds...talk about boring.

First of all, he either owns a 40 or he is not telling the truth. Our MS60 still charges to 176 at 90% and pretty much gets that range on the road. I understand it may be about 80% of that in cold weather, but then again, he should have known all of that before he bought the car. In the just under 2 years that I have been an owner, following this and other sites, there have less than a handful of dissatisfied customers and in fact almost all owners say they will never go back to an ICE car, my wife included. I love the car so much I bought another. So I believe the whole letter and the reply from Doug is just all BS, just to rile up the nay sayers which there still are some out there. Still love mine and don't find it boring at all, I look for reasons to drive and now look forward to road trips.

First of all, he either owns a 40 or he is not telling the truth. Our MS60 still charges to 176 at 90% and pretty much gets that range on the road. I understand it may be about 80% of that in cold weather, but then again, he should have known all of that before he bought the car. In the just under 2 years that I have been an owner, following this and other sites, there have less than a handful of dissatisfied customers and in fact almost all owners say they will never go back to an ICE car, my wife included. I love the car so much I bought another. So I believe the whole letter and the reply from Doug is just all BS, just to rile up the nay sayers which there still are some out there. Still love mine and don't find it boring at all, I look for reasons to drive and now look forward to road trips.

Or based on the way he drives he can only get 135 real actual not just what the dash says miles. Also this guy is just bored with the S not dissatisfied. Not everything is an anti-Tesla conspiracy and not everyone comes to the instant conclusion that Tesla will be the only car they ever buy. I also don't really see anything in the reply that is BS, other than the drive train the Model S isn't terribly interesting. Ask yourself if you would buy one of these if it wasn't electric for the same price with everything else being equal in the car, I wouldn't.

Personally I love my Model S and plan to run it into the ground but I'm also posting on an enthusiast forum so I understand I may not be the average car buyer or "enthusiast" which is the target market for his article.

Artsci, could you elaborate further on that please? I started reading them a few months ago and that's what actually led me here and made me seriously consider a Tesla. While I know some of the articles are over the top, I do see value in many of the articles about car values, shopping, etc. that expanded my thoughts on what to consider. Now, I'm not going to go buy a BMW M3 or something to that effect, but I have opened up my options if other cars I would never have considered. Something this year, my ICE will likely be replaced with a Tesla, but the other ICE will not. The articles there have opened up options to consider to look at value of what we are getting rather than simply cost (which is also what opened the door for me to consider a Model S).

However, I am always eager to learn more if you would elaborate. Thank you!

About the time I ordered my Model S Jalopnik had very little positive to say about Tesla. If I believed what they said then I never would have bought the car. So I'm a bit biased and perhaps a bit of a grump about Jalopnik. I no longer pay the site any attention, which may be my loss if the site's reporting on Tesla has changed.

About the time I ordered my Model S Jalopnik had very little positive to say about Tesla. If I believed what they said then I never would have bought the car. So I'm a bit biased and perhaps a bit of a grump about Jalopnik. I no longer pay the site any attention, which may be my loss if the site's reporting on Tesla has changed.
I haven't paid super close attention over the last few months, but in the year or so before that they seemed to have gushing articles about Tesla at least once a week. This mildly-negative one is an outlier. When I got my car they had Tesla-related posts nearly daily. If they were originally skeptical, they've done an about-face.

The original author of the question ended up posting in the comments that he actually does have a 40. Then follows up with some attitude. People like this seem to buy tech like this for the flash and to be noticed, when the newness starts to die down and their friends all know they already have the car and nobody left to impress, they want to move on to the next thing that will get them noticed.

Beware of Jalopnik, they are generally anti-EV.
I don't see it, at least not any more. Certainly they're anti-city car, a category under which most EVs so far fit and is plausible given it's primarily a performance-car enthusiast site. They've been very positive on EVs and hybrids that fit into the performance mindset, which is where the Model S lives. Support for things like the Model S, i8, and the upcoming Porsche Pajun has been very positive there. Even the Volt receives high praise despite not being a great performer, likely due to its versatility and price. You have to keep the audience in mind.

Even if they were, though, in my mind it's hard to blame them for such a position up through the launch of the Model S. I take my cars to the track and still love the throaty rumble of a nice high-HP ICE. If that's who you are and every EV you see is some tiny thing with 100HP or a fast but expensive and extremely limited production run model, a move towards an all-EV future is rightly frightening. EVs don't have to be that way, and that's starting to become clear.