Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hesitation from a standstill under moderate acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a weird behavior in my car. If I am pulling away from a stoplight using moderate acceleration, the car will hesitate slightly before the power comes on. The best analog I can provide is when driving a manual transmission, you let out the clutch just a bit too quickly for the amount of throttle input you're providing and the car will lurch slightly as it slows down before accelerating again.

If I accelerate hard, the car launches forward as you'd expect, no problem. If I accelerate very gingerly, it is smooth.

I thought this could be related to the hold function not releasing the brakes properly so I checked the fronts and there is no obvious evidence that the pads are seized or not releasing, though I didn't pull the pads to check. Even when my P85D had seized pads, its acceleration was still smooth from a standstill.

I am hesitant to waste time putting in a service ticket for this without more information as I have a feeling Tesla will tell me all is well (there are no errors), but it is an annoying quirk I've not experienced on any other Tesla I've driven.

I have this too. When I pull away from a stoplight sometimes the car will hesitate for approximately one second, accelerating very poorly, before it kicks in properly. This is my first and so far only Tesla so I don't have any terms of comparison.

I've mostly tuned this out by driving differently - accelerating slowly up to 5 mph or so and then accelerating harder. This makes moderate takeoffs less smooth than using constant throttle from a standstill in my P85D though, but it does not have the jolt of the current car.