Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hevo power man-hole charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep watching this space. Lack of standards and the inefficiency are two big barriers, though. I don't think induction charging has broken the 90% efficiency barrier yet (last I looked most systems were getting ~85%)...

I keep watching this space. Lack of standards and the inefficiency are two big barriers, though. I don't think induction charging has broken the 90% efficiency barrier yet (last I looked most systems were getting ~85%)...

HEVO claims they are not induction but resonant. It sounds like tuned induction to me. Sounds like Madison Ave wordsmithing on topics they don't understand.

Also, I believe contactless charging is a solution in search of a problem.

Everybody (except me) is a terrible parker and HEVO requires fairly accurate parking. Good old fashioned tethered parking has a nice long power cord allowing for lots of slop. More slop even than a gas pump hose.

Qualcomm claims their Halo system is over 90%.

http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/document/files/qch_faq_flyer_jan_2012_final.pdf

Transfer efficiency is over 97% across the air-gap and the DC-to-DC efficiency is over 90%.

I think wireless charging could be useful for L2 public charging where the reduction in efficiency outweighs the benefits of eliminating a plug/wire which are commonly abused/vandalized.