TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hey florida. Little Help! Birmingham to miami for bcs in my roadster, maybe

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Bamashrink, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

Hey Gang.
    having my roadster delivered soon and seeing if birmingham to miami is possible. I think my only shot is to use hpc's along the way.
    Thanks

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

What about using 14-50s at RV parks along the way?

3. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

Hey bonnie,
    looking into that as well but my car is just coming with the mc 240 30 amps, would take too long i think.

4. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

14-50's at RV parks are 50 amps, what do you need, I am on 27 in sebring and have a 14-50 u can use. I have no knowledge of how the Roaster is different, Robert

5. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

Am i misinterpreting the charging rate? Doesn't the mc 240 limit the charging to 30 amps? Something like 10 hours to a full charge?

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Suppose it does. Is 10 hours "far more" than a good night's sleep for you? If not, just plug in before dinner and unplug after breakfest.

7. bonnie

My UMC limits to 40 amp. I charge on a NEMA 14-50 & draw 40.

8. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

I'll need to make the trip in 2 days, approx 800 miles. Dont think i can do that if i have to drive 200 miles and charge for 10 hours. Wash, rinse, repeat.

9. bonnie

So IF it was full amperage at the campground (not everything is as advertised), it would be more like 6.5 hours. Still not acceptable. However, your car will charge faster the first half than the second half. If you charge to about 50-60% & then stop again at another campground, it will be less than 6.5 hours total. Remember, at the last place you charge before your destination for the night, you only need to charge enough miles to get the next leg.

Stop to eat, pick a place where you can plug in. Need to stretch your legs? Same thing. My last roadtrip pretty much used 70 amp HPCs, but I've had others where I relied on both 30amp and RV parks.

If you can find owners along your route, then you might find HPCs to use. But most of us are happy with NEMA 14-50 service. Have you searched the different sites like recargo.com, plugshare, etc?

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

http://binged.it/VJHtIE
    749.3 miles
    11 hr 36 min

749.3 miles / 11.6 hours ~= 64.6 mph

Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
    At 65mph, it looks like the Roadster range is indeed 200 miles as you noted.

High Power Wall Connector | Charging Solutions | Tesla Motors
    Assuming an initial range charge, you'll have to refill a minimum 549.3 miles of charge if you want to reach your destination.

Let's assume you don't have to detour at all to reach the chargers when needed and that they're running at max power.

549.3 / 56 ~= 9.8 hours of charging

11.6 + 9.8 = 21.4 hours
    So theoretically you could do it in 1 day if you found available max power chargers along the way without detouring.

Drop to 30A, that brings your charge time to 22.9 hours.

11.6 + 22.9 = 34.5 hours

So yeah you can do it in two days (with a good 8 hr sleep) even with 30A 14-50R as your only charging spots with about 5 hours to spare.

Of course, if you really meant like 36 hours (i.e. "within 2 days but only 1 night") it would be tight and you'd be very tired.

Unless my math is mangled.

11. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

Thanks for the calculations. Luckily i have a month to get my planning together. I do have henry's j1772 adapter as well. Still hoping for some hpc's along the way.

12. bonnie

The calculations assume 30 amp - you still have the 40 amp option. Have you checked the charging station location applications?

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Are you suggesting he acquire (or borrow) a different connector that allows for 40A? Or is he wrong about the "mc 240"?

14. bonnie

My UMC allows for 40 amp. But I missed that it was an MC 240.

15. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

Here's the cord that's coming with the roadster. I don't know yet if it was upgraded and at what rate it charges but says 30amp limit

image.jpg

16. bonnie

Yep, I stand corrected. The UMC that I have handles 40amps.

17. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

All of a sudden i have cord envy

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

ETA til off-topic: 1 post.

Edit: 1 post

19. Bamashrink

Bamashrink Member

Looks like i'll try to get from birmingham to orlando on day 1 with charging stops in dothan (gulp) and gainesville. Day 2 should be a breeze to miami.