Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey, Hey, My, My

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, why I phoned ahead to Outlook and thought it notable they only had 120V. :(
Headed in other direction I’d probably take a shot going off route to Blackstrap Skihill which has 240V plugs.
But really if I wasn’t pushed for time I would have taken slower route up of Yellowhead to Saskatoon.
Lots of L2 options there* and nowhere near as tight a stretch from Saskatoon to Rocky View SC or Red Deer SC.
*In relative terms.
You should get a NEMA 5-20P 14-50 adapter.
With 120 V 20 A you get 4 miles per hour which can be useful if you stay overnight.

gray-ac-works-plug-adapters-evtt30ms-64_1000.jpg

So Calgary SC is very friendly (as are the multitude of Tesla owners I’ve passed on the roads). They diagnosed the messed up passenger seat weight sensor. Unfortunately they lacked a replacement so it’ll wait for when I get home.

However a far more pressing issue this afternoon. I was up in the Red Deer area when my frunk started popping open spontaneously! I’m latch it back down and could drive a bit further, then it’d throw an error and the hood would lift up about 15mm. The second latch held, I was traveling at 50kph or less when it was happening, but kinda disconcerting and no way I was going to risk taking it to highway speeds like that.

So I got roadside support on the phone. After explaining it we went through the diagnosis tree. Tried a few things, such as me holding it shut while using the app to “Open”. No joy. We did determine it was latch hardware, not software, because the touch screen still said “Open” not “Opened”.

Unfortunately, after I explained where I was, about 2000 miles from the address she had listed for the vehicle, I got the bad news that Calgary SC was closing in under 2hr and there’d be no Rangers to save the day, either.:eek: This is bad, very bad. I was scheduled to make the challenging trip back to the middle SK tonight and needed to cover 160km in 110 minutes. With a car that wasn’t road worthy for highway speeds. Oh, and only had about 22% SOC charge. :(

Welp, time to get my farmer on. Because only a fool departs on a journey into the wilderness without a roll of duct tape.

EF1474F0-767F-4195-8E30-4BA12D542922.jpeg

Took it out on the QE2 for a test. Solid gold! Well, occasionally at low speed it’d momentarily flash the frunk error but it’d go way immediately and the lid would keep level with the fenders. Also at highway speed it wouldn’t even do that.

So into Red Deer to the SC, took it quickly to a point of 20% buffer according to Nav (went higher than usual because of a headwind on route) and off I go. NAV says 6:00pm. Nice!

Roadside had given me a number to get hold of Calgary Service direct, so I’d been talking to a Fremont tech that is in town doing training. Sweet! He’s got an idea but needs physical access. So I work the heavy traffic hard for near an hour, eking out 5 min savings....and then disaster hits. A huge backup/slowdown sending my eta to 6:20. Gak! But I’ve got Nav, Google Maps, and guile. Phone ahead to warn I’ll be a little late, and in the end rolled in at 6:03.

They were great; Stayed there waiting, fixed it straight up (needed to take off latch assembly & shim it out 1mm to 2mm), detail guy removed the duct tape residue (and knew to use non-ammonia on the wrap), and they threw in a quick 50% SOC bump! ((Yeah, they’ve got an in-house SC))

Alberta’s got some solid coverage there.

Lower Fishing Lake 50A plugs in Narrow Hills Provincial Park confirmed. (multiple sites, not just one like plugshare implies). 40A @ 240V on a Gen 1 UMC

Also suitability of the Model 3 to climb sandy 2-wheel trails through the bush is confirmed.

91C24CCF-721F-47F3-AFCF-2155B83547F4.jpeg