Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey, I’m Getting Better Than 240 Miles on SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To provide a bit of balance against all these threads that start with, “Hey, I’m not getting the range that Tesla promised me...” I’ve owned a 2019 M3SR+ for about a year now. I’ve got just under 10,000 miles. It is my daily commute car and we use it for trips to our daughter’s house - about 60 miles each way from the distant southeast Philly suburbs to the northeast suburbs (except during the pandemic, when we couldn’t drive through Delaware - that made it 66 miles). Most of the drive is on I-95. In my daily commute (32 miles round trip) during non-winter weather (see below) the battery meter matches my odometer to within +/- 1 mile. In most of my longer trips, the number of odometer miles I drive exceeds the amount that comes off the range estimate. My energy graph almost always projects more range, also. Even with the AC running and driving 65 we are below 200 Wh/mi. On a recent beach day trip (about 200 miles round-trip) our battery meter decreased from 209 mi (I don’t charge to 100% even for trips) to 69 mi with a 20-mile boost at a supercharger mid-trip for a bigger safety margin in case there was bad traffic on the way home. Basically that’s a 160 mile consumption of estimated range from the “Guessometer” for a 200 mile trip (nominally 196 miles, but I had to go several miles off-route for the supercharger and made a wrong turn that required back-tracking). Our 130-mile trips to the northeast burbs usually consume slightly less than odometer miles (maybe 20 miles less than Guessometer miles). In the colder months (December - March) I do see range reduced by roughly 30%, but May to October I beat the battery indicator estimate and in June - September I crush it.
If you take lots of very short trips with no pre-trip charge your battery is not warmed to ideal temp and you are more likely to see lower range if you add up lots of small trips in your stats. For short trips who cares - they are short (no challenge) and you can top off when you get home. Longer trips are the sweet spot - you need more range but you get better range because of battery warming (more efficient regen, etc.). Apartment and townhome dwellers with no garage/home-charging who also make lots of short trips are, unfortunately, the worst-case scenario. Well, actually, people who live near the arctic circle are the worst case, but no-home-charging-with-short-commute folks are the second-to-worst case.

I average 231wh/mi or 4.34mi/kwh in my SR+ now in the summer. I find ABRP connected to the car for realtime stats to be right on the money when it comes to range. So for a trip I am about to take that is 90% charge to 15% for 157 miles. That would be with air-con on usually. Could say 25% capacity left not used which is 60 miles out of rated range of 240. Add that to the suggested total and... 217 miles of range from the 50mph ideal 240. This is on the cars guess o meter as you call it which is energy in and energy out. I think most of it goes driving at 70mph. I feel that the 240 advertised when new because within months its 239,236,234 on the app. But my wh/mi is dropping in summer and my tyres are inflated to 39.5psi with a warm running temp of 42psi (A fact often people leave out which can have a range impact)

the rated range is given on the assumption that you will drive at 250 wh/mi. If you can achieve something better than that than you will get more range.

Are you sure that's true for the SR+ model too? From what I've seen it's a good bit more efficient than the dual motor models. I know my performance model's rated range is based on 250 wh/mi, which I have no problem hitting now in the summer months even while not attempting to. The 250 number for rated range would be pretty high for a SR+ model.

Status
Not open for further replies.