TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Hey, northerly Tesla owners! What tires do you use in the winter?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by KarenRei, Jul 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Do you all tend to stick with your stock tires or do you switch to winter tires? Are there any winter tires out there that provide a nice balance between grip in icy/snowy conditions and rolling resistance?

2. f-stop

f-stop Member

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on my MS for winter - excellent tire.

OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 for the rest of the year.
    Winters are usually very mild in the city here and you could get by with all-seasons, but first winter I only had the OEM Michelins and found them slippery even in just a minor amount of snow. For winter drives out of the city into the mountains I would not trust the oem all-seasons.

• Like x 1
  3. KarenRei

Thanks for that, I'm going to write that down :)

Iceland's not particularly cold, but our winters are wet and very windy.

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I have a 85 RWD and thought the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4's were just fine when they were new and had good tread depth. As they were getting farther along and the tread depth got fairly low, I got a set of 245/45R-19 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL and they worked great. Drove a couple times through snow that was as high as the front bumper and didn't have any issues.

• Like x 2
  5. PJFW8

PJFW8 waiting impatiently for Model 3

X-Ice are great!

• Like x 1
  6. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

I've also been pleased with the Michelin X-Ice tires. They handle snow and ice quite well, I was impressed. With the stock tires I was having to use chains to get up my long, steep driveway in winter and that got to be too much of a nuisance.

My RWD S handles winter conditions fine with the snow tires, don't even need AWD as I thought I would.

• Like x 1
  7. daktari

daktari Member

Nokian Hakkapellita R2 here also. Some speak fondly of Continental Conti Viking Contact 6 (studless). Michelin x-ice also but I have not tried them på Tesla.

I believe we have 3 categories of winter tires. Real snow and ice tires not good for higher speeds (examples above, both with and without studs), european winter tires for rain, slush and occasional snow, great at high speed autobahns (e.g. Pirelli sottozero) and US All Seasons which I believe is not safe for snow/freezing temperatures.

8. KarenRei

#8 KarenRei, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Higher speeds are not an issue here - our max speed limit is 90 kph (56 mph), and honestly, you'd be crazy to drive the Ring Road at those speeds in the winter ;). So the R2, Viking Contact 6, and X-Ice are all good for lower speeds?

Ed: Consumer reports seems to really like both like the Nokians and Michelins - and rolling resistance was one of their categories (both got "Excellent"):

Nokian Crashes the Party in the Consumer Reports Winter Tire Test - Modern Tire Dealer

Hmm, now that I think about it, I wonder what Tesla would charge for an extra set of rims. For my Insight I purchased one so that I could leave one set of tires on each set of rims and swap them out really easily, only needing to go to a tire centre when one set got worn out. I bet Tesla would charge an arm and a leg for extra rims, though...

9. William13

William13 Member

My understanding of the magazine reviews are that the Hakka R2 has the edge in ice and deep snow while the Mich X-ice3 has the edge with slush and thinner snow.

10. daktari

daktari Member

Yes good, speed ratet usually for 160 km/h max. We usually use those tires in Norway which I guess will have similar winter climate as Iceland. And we use two sets of wheels. Price from Tesla for rims and Nokian is 25000,- NOK here at the moment. Aftermarket wheels look for Polar rims or Rial Lugano. I guess a lot of webshops will deliver those to Iceland complete with tires and TPMS.